Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old May 21st 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Morning Val.
Weather abit hit and miss at the moment. Lovely and sunny during the day but a tadge nippy at night.
We are having a bbq tomorrow night and have told everyone to wrap up warm!!!

Angela
Old May 21st 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Jojo and Andy will become famous soon enoughJojo and Andy will become famous soon enough

Hi Val,

Had a few days of rain at the beginning of this week. But yesterday and today lovely lovely sunshine.... Infact i'm just off to the beach!!
Hopefully see you soon. Jojo xx
Old May 21st 2009, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Steve and Bec Torkington is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Val, the d ays are lovely and warm but its getting chilly at night and in the morning - a fleece would be a good idea.
When do you arrive??
Old May 21st 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by val-phil
How's the weather up there, guys? Coming up there next week and wondering what to pack. Hope to meet some of you then.

Val
Morning

hit and miss at the mo. one day sunny one day raining, sorry, days great but evening are getting chillier.

When you coming and for how long.

Mrs Isle
Old May 21st 2009, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

val-phil is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by isle
Morning

hit and miss at the mo. one day sunny one day raining, sorry, days great but evening are getting chillier.

When you coming and for how long.

Mrs Isle
Thanks everyone for your replies. Driving up from Sydney over 3 days and plan to arrive on 1st June. Have to go to Auckland first to re-validate our ETAs. Staying for 2 weeks in Aqua Vista apartments on the Esplanade in Scarness. Anything happening whilst we're there? Planning on checking out houses/areas, although we won't be able to buy anything until we have permanent visas (hopefully by the end of the year). You all sound so nice - can't wait to put some faces to the names.

Val
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:55 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by val-phil
How's the weather up there, guys? Coming up there next week and wondering what to pack. Hope to meet some of you then.

Val
Hi Val,

It's warm in the sun, cool in the shade and chilly in evenings.

Gillian
Old May 24th 2009, 9:45 am
Just Joined

rhetoric66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

My family and I are about to move to Hervey Bay from the UK and wondered if anyone could give us some tips on buying property ie. places to avoid, areas with planned development which could impact on residential property, sand fly hotspots (heard there is a problem in some areas), access to good schools etc...

Seems like theres quite an established expat community already! Any advice would be gratefully received.

Cheers,
Scott.
Old May 24th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Scott - when are you arriving? Are you planning to buy immediately? It so much depends what you like/are looking for. do oyu want to be right in town, on the edges, out of town? Do oyu want easy maintence small block or large acreage or somewhere in between? What age schooling do oyu need? etc etc.

Its a great place here and if you give us some pointers we may be able to help point you in some likely directions.
Old May 24th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Welcome Scott,

As the founder member of the Hervey Bay Appreciation Society I welcome you!!!
And will save you a spot or two on Thursday afternoons/evenings at Hoolihans!!!!
Being a fellow southerner (Portsmouth) you will be made very welcome!!!!

Angela
Old May 24th 2009, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Safin
Hi Scott - when are you arriving? Are you planning to buy immediately? It so much depends what you like/are looking for. do oyu want to be right in town, on the edges, out of town? Do oyu want easy maintence small block or large acreage or somewhere in between? What age schooling do oyu need? etc etc.

Its a great place here and if you give us some pointers we may be able to help point you in some likely directions.
Hi Safin,

Flying out to Brisbane on the 11th June, up to hervey bay a week or so later. My husband and I have spent time looking at properties on the net & like the look of Torquay/Urangan. We would like around a 1000m2 plot with either something good on it, or preferably something cheaper we can pull down & build on. We want to be within walking distance of the beach, cafes & restaurants but not along side hotels/apartments etc. Our youngest is 7 1/2, our eldest is 19 and staying behind at Uni for another 2 years but will be out in August for hols - both girls. I haven't looked at schools yet really, waiting until we arrive to take a look. We plan to send her at the start of term 4 at beginning of October.

How long have you lived in Hervey Bay? Reading some of your threads we were curious as to what sort of age group you all were - is it a good mix and do lots of you have families/kids.

Although we have done lots of research, its nothing like seeing it for ourselves, we may completely change our minds about property when we get there - whose knows.

Any advise you can give us would be much appreciated.

Jan
Old May 24th 2009, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cookster
Welcome Scott,

As the founder member of the Hervey Bay Appreciation Society I welcome you!!!
And will save you a spot or two on Thursday afternoons/evenings at Hoolihans!!!!
Being a fellow southerner (Portsmouth) you will be made very welcome!!!!

Angela
Hi Angela,
My wife and I were reading about the notorious "Hoolihans", not sure we'd be able to keep up! Look forward to it.
As an ex-service man I know pompey well, many a good night in the "mucky duck" or "joanna's".........long time ago!
How long have been living in Hervey Bay? How do the kids find it? A bit worried it'll be too quite for my eldest.

Scott.
Old May 24th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rhetoric66
Hi Angela,
My wife and I were reading about the notorious "Hoolihans", not sure we'd be able to keep up! Look forward to it.
As an ex-service man I know pompey well, many a good night in the "mucky duck" or "joanna's".........long time ago!
How long have been living in Hervey Bay? How do the kids find it? A bit worried it'll be too quite for my eldest.

Scott.
Hey Scott.
My hubby is ex navy, 25 years!!!! Oh and you will fit in very nicely im sure, you have a good head start being ex forces!!!!! Been here two and a half years now, kids 13 and 16 and loving it!!!! Your kids will love it here, it really is so nice. Hey give it a go!!!! We know a lot of teenage kids so we could organise a `do`!!!!
Looking forward to meeting you already!!!

Angela
Old May 24th 2009, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cookster
Hey Scott.
My hubby is ex navy, 25 years!!!! Oh and you will fit in very nicely im sure, you have a good head start being ex forces!!!!! Been here two and a half years now, kids 13 and 16 and loving it!!!! Your kids will love it here, it really is so nice. Hey give it a go!!!! We know a lot of teenage kids so we could organise a `do`!!!!
Looking forward to meeting you already!!!

Angela
Hi Angela,
Yeah I'm ex RN too, mainly plymouth based but did my engineering training at Collingwood, Fareham. Looking forward to meeting you all!
Scott.
Old May 24th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome val-phil and Scott

it will be nice to have some more Southerners at the expats meet ups, thats for sure!

We're a good mix here and thats one of the things I like the most; lots of different ages, some couples have kids, some don't, some expats have been here a couple of years or so and some are fresh off the boat like me.

I've only been here 7 weeks and I can honestly say I feel so at home aready. We have been made so welcome and been helped out a lot by the other expats.

Will be great to meet you.
Old May 25th 2009, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rhetoric66
Hi Safin,

Flying out to Brisbane on the 11th June, up to hervey bay a week or so later. My husband and I have spent time looking at properties on the net & like the look of Torquay/Urangan. Some areas of Urangan have problems with sandflies - particularly the further east areas near the mangroves and creeks. We would like around a 1000m2 plot with either something good on it, or preferably something cheaper we can pull down & build on. Urangan has a fair few larger plots of 1/2 acre with 4 beds houses from mid $400k's. Often find that size drops (and price) to about 800m from there but there ae some 1000-1500m around We want to be within walking distance of the beach, cafes & restaurants but not along side hotels/apartments etc. TBH thats jsut the first row or two and not overwhelmign as there are as yet few higher buildings Our youngest is 7 1/2, I have a boy just turning 7 who doesn't treat girls like an alien species (and 2 more boys 4 and almost 9) our eldest is 19 and staying behind at Uni for another 2 years but will be out in August for hols - both girls. I haven't looked at schools yet really, waiting until we arrive to take a look. We plan to send her at the start of term 4 at beginning of October. Cor long holiday!! - the new term starts early July maybe she'd enjoy meeting kids at school earlier rather than having another 3 months before making friends? Several choices for schools (state and private) and you enrol and start within days of first visiting them over here

How long have you lived in Hervey Bay? We've been here since Nov 07 Reading some of your threads we were curious as to what sort of age group you all were - is it a good mix and do lots of you have families/kids. As Mrs Kiwi says the now quite active expat community here has a real mix of ages and family setups and gels well despite the differences - maybe because of them. Though almost all the younger kids are boys - just Cooksters 16yr daughter i think and then a couple of older teenage girls about

Although we have done lots of research, its nothing like seeing it for ourselves, we may completely change our minds about property when we get there - whose knows. Have you considered a 6 month rental just to get to know the area first? Its not impossible to break leases earlier if you do find a house you like before then though after initial settling down and the paperwork for buying 6 months isn't a bad time frame.

Any advise you can give us would be much appreciated.

Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.