Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Mar 30th 2009, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by val-phil
Hi Everyone

My first time here too. We're hoping to move up to Hervey Bay if we ever get our visas sorted out. You all seem like a nice friendly bunch so I thought I'd just gatecrash your party! Hope you don't mind. I look at Domain VERY often and there are just so many properties that I need to narrow down my search a bit. Any areas to avoid, please? Point Vernon looks a bit hilly (20+ a day have taken their toll on my lungs!!) but why is Eli Waters so cheap? Possible flood risks? I'm sure there'll be many more questions but that'll do for now and I'll look forward to hopefully meeting you all one day.

Val
Hello to the newbies. Hervey Bay is wonderful...dont delay and come here now. This is the loveliest and friendliest place i know. But i'm biased I already live here. Eli waters is cheaper and has received a bad wrap because of a couple of factors. Some areas are great, the quality of the homes is good. But some of the areas are riddled with sandflies (midgies) and have higher rental areas and some of the quality of homes are not so good. Similar issues with Point vernon. For more info on areas to stay away from and why, please feel free to pm me. I've lived here for 30 years and hubby is 4th generation hervey bay. so he's seen it all, the low lying areas, the sandfly traps.

As to flood issues, if you have a look at the Fraser Coast Regional Council website, it shows the flood zone areas. Keep in mind that in the 30 years i've lived here, i've seen decent flooding twice ? i think. Whenever you live near water, unless you're on the edge of a cliff, tidal surges can be a threat. The time to watch it is like we just had with a recent near miss with a cyclone. When you have full moon, the tides are larger, so we had big tides and a cyclone. But i believe the damage was minimal as the cyclone headed away from the coast. We've had a few come close, but Fraser Island serves as a wonderful buffer to our bay.

Cheers,
Donna.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

3 days until we fly!!!! AAH!

We arrive in Brisbane on Friday but don't arrive in HB until Sunday.

So I guess I'll see you in Hoolihans on Thursday week hopefully!!

Tasmas - thanks for the rent a car tip, I contacted them and their quote is about $80 cheaper than the rest. Seems like a really nice guy too, is dropping the car direct to where we're staying. He said its a later model car but who cares as long as it gets from A to B? Hes also a mechanic and offered to check out any car we buy, which might be handy. So thanks for that.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Jojo and Andy will become famous soon enoughJojo and Andy will become famous soon enough

Hello Newbies and welcome to the Hervey Bay thread.

We've been here since Jan (renting in Eli Waters) and more than happy. Everyone is really friendly and make you feel very welcome.

Not sure why Eli Waters is cheap we've not been flooded and survived the rain from cyclone Hamish - and lots of people have said watch out for sand flies but we've not had any here. I suppose it depends where abouts you are.

Bye for now. Jojo xx
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Jojo and Andy will become famous soon enoughJojo and Andy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi

We arrive in Brisbane on Friday but don't arrive in HB until Sunday.

So I guess I'll see you in Hoolihans on Thursday week hopefully!!
Hi Mrs Kiwi,

Good luck for the flight look forward to seeing you a week thursday in Hoolies.

Anyone off this week? Andy has finished college today so I think will want a pint to celebrate.

Will remember to put the boys in shoes then maybe we will get in this week.

Jojo xx
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Jojo and Andy
Hi Mrs Kiwi,

Good luck for the flight look forward to seeing you a week thursday in Hoolies.

Anyone off this week? Andy has finished college today so I think will want a pint to celebrate.

Will remember to put the boys in shoes then maybe we will get in this week.

Jojo xx
Hi Jo

Do I take it your visit by the rental company went well then, we had ours recentley and the owner did the visit and because of that we had 3 air cons fitted today and a security door fitted, turns out first choice reality was the right choice for us. We can not fault them, from day one we have had excellent service. If any one is looking for a rental company to use, I would recommend them.

Mrs Isle
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isle
Hi Jo

Do I take it your visit by the rental company went well then, we had ours recentley and the owner did the visit and because of that we had 3 air cons fitted today and a security door fitted, turns out first choice reality was the right choice for us. We can not fault them, from day one we have had excellent service. If any one is looking for a rental company to use, I would recommend them.

Mrs Isle
I think also it depends on your owners and how willing they are to do anything to the property Isle. Ours aren't and Elders are a bit slow to say the least chasing stuff...... ok if you chase them but you shouldn't have to.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck Mrs Kiwi. You're finally going! I'll be interested to hear what you think and how you find the place. Have fun at Hoolihans.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 6:55 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

We arrive in Brisbane on Friday but don't arrive in HB until Sunday. .

Wishing you a happy safe and uneventfull journey. Looking forward to meeting you.

Gillian
Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys.

One quick question - on arrival we want to register for Medicare asap. Where do we do this??!! Silly question I know, sorry! My brain is a bit overloaded at the moment.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys.

One quick question - on arrival we want to register for Medicare asap. Where do we do this??!! Silly question I know, sorry! My brain is a bit overloaded at the moment.
Hi

Wishing you a safe journey over. Looking forward to putting a face to a name.

The Medicare centre is in Pialba Place just off Hunter Street HB.

Mrs Isle
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks Isle - I have a very long list of things to do on arrival in Hervey Bay, including getting "ambo" cover which I'd never thought of until somebody mentioned it in another thread. So I'll definitely need a drink at Hoolihans on Thursday week!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I have vague memories of being told that ambulance cover is included in your quarterly electricity bill in Qld, but don't take my word for it.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I have vague memories of being told that ambulance cover is included in your quarterly electricity bill in Qld, but don't take my word for it.
Yep I've heard that too.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 11:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by isle
Hi Jo

Mrs Isle
Here Here Mrs Isle. I totally agree. First Choice have been really friendly (unlike some of the rental places) helpful and excellent when any maintenance needs doing around the house. Number One on my list.

Jojo xx
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jojo and Andy
Yep I've heard that too.
Yep all covered.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.