Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:04 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by Safin
To track Hamish http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml - looks like we have tomorrow to get fully organised if its still heading our way!

Anyone know what the local radio station we are s'posed to listen to is?

Having just read the guidelines for what we are supposed to be doing (http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/emq/css/cyclone.asp) the emergency kits and evacutaion kits sound a bit scary!
Any local radio station will be issuing advice.

The latest update looks like Bundaberg might be the crossing point.

WW
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

Jojo and Andy will become famous soon enoughJojo and Andy will become famous soon enough

Thanks for that information guys....we are now running around picking stuff up out of the garden!!!! And going to buy batteries for torches etc..... aaaahhhhhhh!!!!!! Only joking we are all calm.

Jojo xx
Old Mar 8th 2009, 5:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jojo and Andy
......... Only joking we are all calm.

Jojo xx
So am I .........

Actually I'm pretty scared!

Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

I'm taking no chances been shopping this morning filled the cupboards up, took a trip to dan murphys now got 5 boxes of wine, 12 in a box $2 a bottle can't be bad come tuesday i won't hear a thing.

Mr Isle
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by isle
I'm taking no chances been shopping this morning filled the cupboards up, took a trip to dan murphys now got 5 boxes of wine, 12 in a box $2 a bottle can't be bad come tuesday i won't hear a thing.

Mr Isle
True locals would have bought slabs of XXXX or VB

WW
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough

Haha yeah, you're right. I'm going to pack up my wine bottles as well incase we need to evacuate. got to protect my babies.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck with Hamish guys, my brother lives in Truro Street, Urangan and has just Skyped to say he's going to work as normal this morning (Monday) but will keep informed and go to my sis in laws parents in Brisbane if necessary.

Fingers crossed the impact & damage is minimal.

Loving the fact you're stockpiling the alcohol!! Better to be safe than sorry!!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

I will have to get some tea lights on the way home, will my internet go off? it could be worse than i thought. lol

We are house hunting at the moment so at least we can see where floods

minibelle
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

Good luck, guys. I see Hamish has been reduced to a 4, but is heading your way. Glad to see you have your priorities right re supplies. Last time we had a snow warning here the supermarkets sold out of odd things like canned food, milk, candles and batteries. Who'd have thought?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 12:55 am
Forum Regular

Yes funny how those things go out of the shops so quickly. I'm hoping we have been spared but i wont put the torches away until its all gone. Too often i've seen a cyclone down graded to a rain depression and head out to sea, only for it to intensify and slam back into the coast line. Still not panicing tho, but continuing to get things in order, backing up the computer, storing things onto disc and putting documents into waterproof containers etc.

However the priority at the moment is a trip into town (i live at dundowran beach so we're classed as out of town ) as my daughter couldnt go to work this morning so we are going formal dress shopping for her yr 12 grad at the end of the year. yah i love frock shopping. Might pick up some more milk and shove it in the freezer. hate long life and powdered stuff!

Keep watching the cylcone tracker on the BOM website people. And watch the seven local news tonight. All the camera work is done by my baby boy!!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missdaisymay
Too often i've seen a cyclone down graded to a rain depression and head out to sea, only for it to intensify and slam back into the coast line.
Not what I wanted to hear! Thought we were out of danger having watched the projected path head out to sea this morning. The radio are saying that evacuation plans are cancelled etc and warnings downgraded.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:13 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pagani-Rennox
Seriously looking at moving to Hervey Bay. It looks like 'paradise' with a laid back coastal lifestyle and with still very affordable coastal property. Are there downsides to living there for a young family cos no matter how much I look can't seem to find any.
Is it generally prone to flooding due to being so low lying ?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...09/2510691.htm
http://www.frasercoastchronicle.com....-be-justified/

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Mar 9th 2009 at 2:15 am.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

sebeva will become famous soon enoughsebeva will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Safin
Course you can - Blazing Saddles restaurant - we'll be there from 7.30 on. Anyone else? I'll be booking tomorow morning!
Hi all,
Sorry, I didn't get on time last week Monday to join all of you. We came back to Hervey Bay from the Gold Coast about 10pm
I hope you've enjoyed your time
Let me know please if you are going to organize it next time. Maybe I will finally get the opportunity to meet you

Lets hope it won't be that bad with the cyclone...
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
If you live near a body of water, you are going to run the risk of some sort flooding during heavy downpours. I've lived here for 30 years, my husband is 4th Generation Hervey Bay. We've not been cut off from a flood. In the infrastructure of the city, there have been areas that will have the roads cut. These areas generallly have some sort of water way near them. Most of these areas have been or are being addressed. My house is on sand, so when we do get heavy rain, it might pond for a couple of hours but then its gone.

If you're looking for a home anywhere, from a professional point of view, one that has been built up a little (and i dont mean on stumps) is generally going to stand you good steed in wet weather, than a house thats been built flat on the ground.

If you're worried about low lying areas, then dont live close to the beach. Hervey Bay is made up of lots of different areas. But you could be missing out on a lovely lifestyle.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

whats wrong with stumps?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.