Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by brissybound View Post
Hervey Bay is the biggest toilet I have ever seen in Oz. Worse than Manjimup, Carnarvon and other coastal holes.

Backpackers have to drink in Backpacker pubs only, trust me, if they hear your accent in any of the regular pubs youre in trouble, especially if you are out with a group of men.

It is the gateway to the reef and has some beautiful coastline but the local inhabitants are the roughest unfriendlies, toothless, bogan pratts you will ever see.

I would rather live in Redfern in Sydney than Hervey Bay.
well thats clear what you think then!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

Hervey Bay is the biggest toilet I have ever seen in Oz. Worse than Manjimup, Carnarvon and other coastal holes.

Backpackers have to drink in Backpacker pubs only, trust me, if they hear your accent in any of the regular pubs youre in trouble, especially if you are out with a group of men.

It is the gateway to the reef and has some beautiful coastline but the local inhabitants are the roughest unfriendlies, toothless, bogan pratts you will ever see.

Funny that, I have lived in Redfern and was lucky enough to only get mugged once and I really do much prefer Hervey Bay, I don't feel the need to hide my money in my bra or worry if the taxi will drop me at my door. Yes there is a rough element in the Bay, like any town or city in the world. I have been up here since November and I have been overwhelmed by the friendliness of the locals and not locals. Funny how different people attract different types .......
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Thats given the best laugh in ages...... a big big thank you!!!!!

Angela
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

That's a sweeping generalisation, Brissybound, but I suppose if that's the reception you got it's understandable that you feel that way. We didn't see many rough types either, and everyone was friendly to us. Bear in mind that the English pub culture is not quite the same in Oz, and often the guys hanging around in pubs at night are the bogans and dropkicks.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

spose the title of this thread does kinda invite that sort of negative comment though. We need the word "bad" editing out....mods are you listening?
Old Mar 6th 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

That's the first negative post I've seen I think about Hervey Bay.

Each to his own. But I definitely ain't changing my plans.

9 MORE SLEEPS TILL WE FLY PEOPLE

Just in time for the cultural festival aswell, exciting stuff
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Jojo and Andy will become famous soon enoughJojo and Andy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tasmas View Post
That's the first negative post I've seen I think about Hervey Bay.

Each to his own. But I definitely ain't changing my plans.

9 MORE SLEEPS TILL WE FLY PEOPLE

Just in time for the cultural festival aswell, exciting stuff
Excellent only nine more sleeps. Great stuff. Will have to arrange a meet up then!!! Jojo xx
Old Mar 7th 2009, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

brissybound is a jewel in the roughbrissybound is a jewel in the roughbrissybound is a jewel in the roughbrissybound is a jewel in the roughbrissybound is a jewel in the rough

My apologies,

I didnt mean to spook the original op, but im only back a couple of weeks and like most Oz coastal towns, going out on the lash isnt an option.

Personally I love Oz, Brisbane is amazing, but I couldnt imagine living anywhere else (teneriffe) just because you are made to feel as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.

Just my personal experience though, ive been here 8 months now and LOVE it, but sorry HB, IS a shithole in my experience, sorry.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, looks like it is going to be right in the path of Hamish - I'd say that was potentially pretty bad.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

With regard to the Cyclone coming down our cost, be prepared but please dont go into panic mode. By all means take all precautions, but after living in the Bay for 30 years, I havent seen a cyclone disaster here yet. We've had close calls, but nothing like what i have lived through and seen up north.

We are extremely fortunate that Fraser Island tends to act like a buffer for us and protects us. Now many of the old locals have said words to this effect, but in the same breath, they've also said, but look out if we ever have one come between the bay and the island. Hubby (4th generation bay-ite), who was about 4 or 5 at the time remembers one that did come through about 40 years ago (Cyclone Dina I believe) which did some damage, but nothing to get paniced about. Remember that cyclones are like teenagers, they have a mind of their own, and go where they want.

So as i said, be prepared, tidy the yards, put away the rubbish and stuff that could become a flying missile, check your radio batteries and water, but dont panic.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 1:45 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missdaisymay View Post
With regard to the Cyclone coming down our cost, be prepared but please dont go into panic mode. By all means take all precautions, but after living in the Bay for 30 years, I havent seen a cyclone disaster here yet. We've had close calls, but nothing like what i have lived through and seen up north.

We are extremely fortunate that Fraser Island tends to act like a buffer for us and protects us. Now many of the old locals have said words to this effect, but in the same breath, they've also said, but look out if we ever have one come between the bay and the island. Hubby (4th generation bay-ite), who was about 4 or 5 at the time remembers one that did come through about 40 years ago (Cyclone Dina I believe) which did some damage, but nothing to get paniced about. Remember that cyclones are like teenagers, they have a mind of their own, and go where they want.

So as i said, be prepared, tidy the yards, put away the rubbish and stuff that could become a flying missile, check your radio batteries and water, but dont panic.
I would advise however that people in Hervey Bay should listen to their radios for any updates, and keep following the BoM website closely.
The potential is there for some serious flooding as a result of the cyclone - not just from rain but from storm surge.

Hamish may yet change tack and spare HB, but I'd advise a high level of readiness on the basis of the info coming through at work (Dept Emergency Services)

Last edited by Pollyana; Mar 8th 2009 at 1:52 am.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

missdaisymay will become famous soon enough

Wise words there Pollyana. Please dont take my comments as complacency. I too strongly suggest you be prepared. We've just been out to our horses and cleaned up the yards, tucked away anything that could get taken up in the winds and made sure the animals and fences are secure. We've just tidied up our yard and checked on the mother in law. I simply wanted to suggest to those who are new to cyclones be organised and calm, just not paniced like i've seen people do in the past.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys I never seem to watch the news (it's always on at kids witching hour) and never put the radio on either so I didn't even know it was coming We have now tidied and tied down everything in the garden!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

We were miraculously doing it just before I read about it on here! Glad we've done it!
Old Mar 8th 2009, 4:40 am
BE Forum Addict

To track Hamish http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDQ65002.shtml - looks like we have tomorrow to get fully organised if its still heading our way!

Anyone know what the local radio station we are s'posed to listen to is?

Having just read the guidelines for what we are supposed to be doing (http://www.emergency.qld.gov.au/emq/css/cyclone.asp) the emergency kits and evacutaion kits sound a bit scary!

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.