Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Oct 2nd 2008, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Hey Mandy , pretty close now,
looking forward to meeting you.
Weather here lovely.
Make sure you pack your sun cream...
Angela
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

Hello I'm a newbie here and I so wish I'd read this thread 3 weeks ago - would have loved to meet up with some of you for a drink and chat! We just left the bay yesterday morning and drove all the way home (16 hours) so we are exhausted! We went up thinking to buy in Maryb' but weren't that keen. I've applied for uni in HB next year so it was a real reccie trip. We ended up camping for a week at HB after giving up on M and we really liked it. We found a bit of land at Craignish wiht sea veiws that we really like so are currently home doing costings of building a house ourselves (if anyone has any ideas on the cheapest way to do it please let me know!). Please excuse the bad typing I'm so tired and have only just managed to get the kids to bed at 8.45, the long trip and the time change not gone down well!

My boys are 7 and 2.5. What is the school that is on the right on the way back to the bay from T, C and D like? Any idea on nurseries? Noticed one next to the uni whihc I thought may be handy? We'll probably be up in December, not sure wether we will rent or just camp and try to get into the house as soon as we can get it to lock up stage, or perhaps build a shed first and live in that. Hope to see some of you then!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Cookster
Hey Mandy , pretty close now,
looking forward to meeting you.
Weather here lovely.
Make sure you pack your sun cream...
Angela
Hi all

Well we have finally arrived (in perth) to stay with friends in Port Kennedy for a few weeks before moving to the bay. We have finally gotten over the jet lag and we have been busy checking Perth out.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Mandy

(sorry only a short one but we want to get out and do more sight seeing)
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

I think Yarrilee school is the one you mean. We're interested in Toogoom and Craignish area so looked at it for my daughter. They have a website and looks pretty good to me and has after school care attached, but it's hard to tell until you get there. One person will say a school has a bad reputation and someone else will say it's wonderful.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I think Yarrilee school is the one you mean. We're interested in Toogoom and Craignish area so looked at it for my daughter. They have a website and looks pretty good to me and has after school care attached, but it's hard to tell until you get there. One person will say a school has a bad reputation and someone else will say it's wonderful.
so true. I heard both sides about it when I got here.

Registration takes about an hour, (yes a tour, a chat and a few forms) and they can start as soon as you have the uniform (next day even) so you can take a few days touring the schools and see what feels right for you and your kids.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Safin
so true. I heard both sides about it when I got here.

Registration takes about an hour, (yes a tour, a chat and a few forms) and they can start as soon as you have the uniform (next day even) so you can take a few days touring the schools and see what feels right for you and your kids.
Very true Sarah, best thing is to have a look at a few when you get here.

Angela
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Hi all

As you all know by now we will be arriving in the bay around the 8th November. Do you think we will have any problems getting Jake into school he is 14, what with xmas around the corner. As he wants to start as soon as possible to make some friends.

Regards
Mandy
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kiwinow

Thanks for your replies girls! That's the one I was thinking of, I did meet a nice lady when we were looking at "our" block of land who has a little girl there and loves it!

Safin and Angel, good idea to look around and I suppose it does depend where we end up buying as to which schools the buses go to etc, although we were at the block of land at school home time last week and there seeemed to be loads of different schoools getting of the buses.

Mandy I'm sure if you get straight into the school and explain they would try to get him in, as you say he can then meet people before the big holiday. It would give him a whole month at school before the hols and will make starting the new year so much easier for him. Hope you manage it, bet you're excited now!

I'm freezing back here in NSW after our 2 weeks at Maryb' and the Bay!!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Lil Lis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clothmama
Hello I'm a newbie here and I so wish I'd read this thread 3 weeks ago - would have loved to meet up with some of you for a drink and chat! We just left the bay yesterday morning and drove all the way home (16 hours) so we are exhausted! We went up thinking to buy in Maryb' but weren't that keen. I've applied for uni in HB next year so it was a real reccie trip. We ended up camping for a week at HB after giving up on M and we really liked it. We found a bit of land at Craignish wiht sea veiws that we really like so are currently home doing costings of building a house ourselves (if anyone has any ideas on the cheapest way to do it please let me know!). Please excuse the bad typing I'm so tired and have only just managed to get the kids to bed at 8.45, the long trip and the time change not gone down well!

My boys are 7 and 2.5. What is the school that is on the right on the way back to the bay from T, C and D like? Any idea on nurseries? Noticed one next to the uni whihc I thought may be handy? We'll probably be up in December, not sure wether we will rent or just camp and try to get into the house as soon as we can get it to lock up stage, or perhaps build a shed first and live in that. Hope to see some of you then!
They centre i think you are talking about near the uni is Condy Park Kindergarten & Pre-School, my son went there & it is known as being a very good kindy although I have heard there is a waiting list so perhaps if you are thinking of that one put his name down now. there are quite a few rental properties around town at the moment so it would probably be easy to get a rental if that is what you want.
Hope everyone is well & getting ready for christmas it isnt that far away...just dont remind me!!!!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by isle
Hi all

As you all know by now we will be arriving in the bay around the 8th November. Do you think we will have any problems getting Jake into school he is 14, what with xmas around the corner. As he wants to start as soon as possible to make some friends.

Regards
Mandy
Morning,
Jake will be able to start straight away. My kids both started a week before the holidays, teachers thought it a good thing to try and make friends. It worked!!!
If you look at Urangan High you can always ask for my Louise (15) to show him around, im sure she would help out.
Angela
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isle
Hi all

Regards
Mandy
Although younger (6 & 8 now) mine started 2 weeks before the xmas hols last year. Not for the school but to have soem kids around them. School agreed it was a good idea (Kawungan).

My littl'un had his name down at condy park all year! Basically its one main intake in Jan for those about to start school the following jan. Even though kids are eligible at 3 theres not enough spaces at this kindy or the others usually to get the younger ones in. SO get names down asap - even before you get here - you can always refuse the place when offered/remove from the list
Old Oct 15th 2008, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Safin

My littl'un had his name down at condy park all year! Basically its one main intake in Jan for those about to start school the following jan. Even though kids are eligible at 3 theres not enough spaces at this kindy or the others usually to get the younger ones in. SO get names down asap - even before you get here - you can always refuse the place when offered/remove from the list
sounds like it isn't an option anyway as Louis wont' be 3 until May. It seems it works differently here in nsw, most places take from a few weeks old until school. So what are my childcare options for the little one? Sounds like whatever I do I'll need to get my name down!!
Old Oct 15th 2008, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah I was talking about kindergarten, not day care. You shouldn't have a problem there

Theres quite a few of those around. Cost about $50-60 a day before childcare benefit (which I don't get due to temp visa so couldn't afford).
Old Oct 15th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

ahhh phew!!! was getting worried there for a bit! I'll be ok for ccb. I'm a bit of a hybrid, was born in the uk, grew up in oz but have spent the last 10 years in europe and my hubby is english. After so long away and sppending more time in the uk than oz I'm a bit mixed up!!! Will go and look on the net at the different child care centres.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

So erm has anyone seen this croc they reckon has been hanging around the bay? Yikes. I thought HB was great because the jellies don't come that far south. Never thought to have to watch out for crocs. Lets hope it was a mistake or a one lost and confused croc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.