British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-got-anything-bad-say-about-hervey-bay-521831/)

Lil Lis Sep 11th 2008 10:49 am

Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Originally Posted by Cookster (Post 6767450)
Afternoon all,

agree with most of whats been said about Dundowran etc.... but personally I have to say that with teenage kids we prefered to be in the centre of town, within easy reach of the beach, cafe`s and shops. If only so that the kids could be independant and make their own way there. (5 mins walk to beach). They meet their mates down the esplanade a couple of times a week just to chill and drink.... milk shakes that is. All this means that we are not constantly ferrying them around as you would have to do living in Dundowran, Toogoom or Craignish, but great if you don`t mind. Oh and the bus service is pretty crap and my daughter wouldnt use it because she said all the derro`s use the bus!!!!!!!!

Angela

PS just let us know when everyones up for a girlie night and i`ll organise one x

Hey I am always up for a girlie nite...like i said have u checked out the double bubbles at bayswater hotel yet...mmmm goin there tomorrow nite but with the kids ur welcome to join us but!!

Lil Lis Sep 11th 2008 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi (Post 6766016)
Thanks for the list of banks Donna.
Lil Lis, I like the sound of "double bubbles." !
Great news that this thread is in to its 10th page - so much interest in Hervey Bay. When we first decided on it I thought we'd be the only ones on BE heading there but its fab to know theres loads of us.

Hey yeah heading there tomorrow nite with a friend of mine who is actually moving back to the gold coast to be closer to her daughter thats the only reason, she actually loves hervey bay!!! I know what u mean about being on the 10th page...see we are lovely people here in the "bay" :thumbup:

bobbyftm Sep 11th 2008 12:46 pm

There's a couple of couples of us coming up your way next weekend and was wondering if anyone would like to meet for a few drinks fri/sat night and show us the sights ?:)If not any recommendations of good watering holes would be appreciated;)

tasmas Sep 11th 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks guys for all your info on Toogoom, Craignish, Dundowran Beach etc. Hervey Bay sounds beautiful, I suppose the only thing we can do is get there, and travel around the areas and decide which is the best for us. I think OH has already decided on Toogoom. I like the sound of it all!!!
I can't wait to meet you girls for drinks and make some new mates!

Cheers everyone

Tracy

missdaisymay Sep 11th 2008 8:35 pm

Bugger, im away next weekend in Dalby. My daughter does a week long block at the Agricultural college over there and we have to pick her and a friend up. Happy to meet up for bubbles next time your in the bay.

Check with what Lil Lis is doing, i know this lady well and she's a very nice person, who enjoys double bubbles at Peppers resort on a friday!:thumbsup:

Cookster Sep 11th 2008 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lil Lis (Post 6771884)
Hey yeah heading there tomorrow nite with a friend of mine who is actually moving back to the gold coast to be closer to her daughter thats the only reason, she actually loves hervey bay!!! I know what u mean about being on the 10th page...see we are lovely people here in the "bay" :thumbup:

Oh bugger, hubby away this weekend and have promised the kids a vegging night in!!!
Never mind.

Bobbyftn, we are available for a beer next weekend. We live 5 mins away from the Irish bar, Hoolihans, so let us know if you fancy it.

Angela

Safin Sep 11th 2008 10:10 pm

Cookster and I are having lunch next Thursday (18th), I sure she won't mind if anyone else would care to join us. Let us know and we'll pick a spot....

Safin

missdaisymay Sep 11th 2008 10:48 pm

Here's my pick for great coffee and dining out times in the bay. Do double bubbles at peppers resort on friday arvo. always good fun. Saturday afternoon, go down to Cafe Belena at the Marina and have tapas and wine at sunset and stay for a meal. They have great meals, but take a jacket it is on the board walk, they have heaters and plastic roll down blinds to provide shelter. Deans lovely and will look after you while you watch the boats and yachts go in and out. Have a sunday coffee at Enzos on the beach at Scarness. Grab the paper and just relax in the sunshine. If you're playing golf, i hear the burgers at the Hervey Bay golf club are terrific and huge. If you've got the kids with you, grab some fish and chips and head down to the point (point vernon) or gatakers bay.

Thats just a few of my favourite things to do in Hervey bay. Remember, if you're coming to the bay, we like to do things the relaxed way here. Enjoy.:D

tasmas Sep 12th 2008 6:45 am

Originally Posted by missdaisymay (Post 6774557)
Here's my pick for great coffee and dining out times in the bay. Do double bubbles at peppers resort on friday arvo. always good fun. Saturday afternoon, go down to Cafe Belena at the Marina and have tapas and wine at sunset and stay for a meal. They have great meals, but take a jacket it is on the board walk, they have heaters and plastic roll down blinds to provide shelter. Deans lovely and will look after you while you watch the boats and yachts go in and out. Have a sunday coffee at Enzos on the beach at Scarness. Grab the paper and just relax in the sunshine. If you're playing golf, i hear the burgers at the Hervey Bay golf club are terrific and huge. If you've got the kids with you, grab some fish and chips and head down to the point (point vernon) or gatakers bay.

Thats just a few of my favourite things to do in Hervey bay. Remember, if you're coming to the bay, we like to do things the relaxed way here. Enjoy.:D

Donna, you always make it sound idyllic. But you're peeing me off. I want to be there now!!!!

Tracy

bobbyftm Sep 12th 2008 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Cookster (Post 6773959)
Oh bugger, hubby away this weekend and have promised the kids a vegging night in!!!
Never mind.

Bobbyftn, we are available for a beer next weekend. We live 5 mins away from the Irish bar, Hoolihans, so let us know if you fancy it.

Angela

That's an affirmative Angela will arrange it next week as i'm off into city for a session now !!Thanks for the reply:thumbsup:

Cookster Sep 12th 2008 7:37 am

Originally Posted by bobbyftm (Post 6775371)
That's an affirmative Angela will arrange it next week as i'm off into city for a session now !!Thanks for the reply:thumbsup:

Good oh, will look forward to it. Anyone else for ale?

isle Sep 13th 2008 2:16 pm

Hi all

Well it is 5 past 3 on a sunny but not hot saturday afternoon and I will finish working my last saturday in the UK in 50 minutes and 30 seconds, not that I am clock watching.

Just been catching up on BE and reading this lovely thread thinking about
relaxing walks and drinking, drinking and doing more drinking. To say I can not wait to arrive is an understatement.

Oh well 48 minutes left and four and a half days to go till I finnish here for good.

looking forward to seeing you all soon.

Mrs Isle

tasmas Sep 13th 2008 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by isle (Post 6779802)
Hi all

Well it is 5 past 3 on a sunny but not hot saturday afternoon and I will finish working my last saturday in the UK in 50 minutes and 30 seconds, not that I am clock watching.

relaxing walks and drinking, drinking and doing more drinking. To say I can not wait to arrive is an understatement.

Oh well 48 minutes left and four and a half days to go till I finnish here for good.

Mrs Isle

I can't wait till i have that feeling, you lucky lucky woman!!!
Enjoy it when you get there. I'll be there as soon as i can to join you in that drink!!

Tracy

ray2gill Sep 13th 2008 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by isle (Post 6779802)
Hi all

Mrs Isle

Oh how I know that feeling!

Leaving on Emirates for Brisbane tomorrow morning (immigration permitting) with 4 suitcases, didn't realise I had left so much stuff here still to take. Last time hubby put his back out lifting cases off conveyor as they were so heavy.

Please could you book sunshine for Monday morning, it's rather disappointing arriving to find it grey and raining.

Were ready and raring to start the next adventure of our lives.:thumbup:

Looking forward to meeting you all in HB.:thumbsup:

isle Sep 13th 2008 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by ray2gill (Post 6780096)
Oh how I know that feeling!

Leaving on Emirates for Brisbane tomorrow morning (immigration permitting) with 4 suitcases, didn't realise I had left so much stuff here still to take. Last time hubby put his back out lifting cases off conveyor as they were so heavy.

Please could you book sunshine for Monday morning, it's rather disappointing arriving to find it grey and raining.

Were ready and raring to start the next adventure of our lives.:thumbup:

Looking forward to meeting you all in HB.:thumbsup:

Hi
Hope all goes well for tomorrow, enjoy your flight. I have put in a request for you and the sun is awaiting your arrival.

Keep the wine chilled. see you all soon.

Isle