Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Old Oct 21st 2009, 10:39 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone got anything bad to say about Hervey Bay

Hi Safin,

Using Vodaphone GPRS dongle. Although this is marketed as 3G it is GPRS (whatever that is!).

Not sure what normal internet speeds in OZ are like appart from when we used the wireless network at the BIG4 at Point Vernon which I think was Telstra and was good. The Vodafone one we have is slow, slow, slow. We can't use Utube or Facebook as it takes sooooo long to download picures and videos etc.

Speeds are slow but tolerable before 7:00am and later in the day.

Price just under $40 for 5GB per month on a 24 month contract. Don't think we would renew it. If speeds were quicker I think it is probably the best value for money but very frustrating. Their help desk is usless by the way. Best thing is to see the ladies in the shop opposite Centro rather than contacting the helpdesk.

However it may be that my computer is now not so compatable as it is 5 years old.

Had no problems in Dubai and speeds were incredible why is everything so backward here?

Gillian
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

If you are GPRS then that is why its so slow - its the equivilent of dial up rather than broadband. I thought Vodafone had upgraded here last year - certainly won't be usingthem if they haven't. Ta.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Safin
Ok fed up to the back teeth with telstra/bigpond (again) and looking to change internet provider BUT we can't get ADSL so have to go the wireless/mobile option.

Has anyone out there got any recent experience of wireless providers (ie NOT using the phone lines to get it into your house). Good bad or indifferent - slow times of day -dropouts - cost - coverage on the move etc etc

As far as I know I have the choice of
Bigpond/Telstra
Optus
Virgin (tried them last year and crap! lots of drop outs & v slow speeds despite being 3G!)
Vodafone
Dodo
We have a virgin dongle, they use Optus, cant get much of a signal in Kawungan, so think they are both a no. We have gone with Telstra but have managed to get ADSL 2.

minibelle
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah i tired Virgin last year and have been with telstra since. Starting to look like I might have to stay with them!!!! or try the dreaded dodo.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

hi safin
Right nigel to the rescue is what you need is Naked ADSL2+ no landline required, you can get 30GB download for 49.99 a month look up TPG we have been with them for 11 months with no problems and with excellent speeds.
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ADSL2+ does need a phone line. I am told naked means you don't need a phone service provided but you still need the line. My line won't take internet (1. its a split line type of scenario known as a pair gain and 2. there are no spare ports anyway at the hub even if the line was good enough and a port is needed whoever you use for adsl)

I spent hours arguing with telstra/being educated about all this when we moved in. If I had known we'd still be here 2 yrs later I'd have had a new line put in and waited/hoped for a port to become available. too late now....

just to make you feel good we are currently paying $45 a month for 5gb soon to go up to $90 when the half price for 12 mths runs out (2 more years at full price or buy ourselves out for $10 a mth if our latest complaint doesn't go our way)
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gone with Dodo - very slow with odd bursts of reasonable. Apparently new Optus tower gone up at airport and being tested now so hopefully the Optus network and its resellers (Dodo and virgin) shoudl improve. Another tower due in next few months at torquay. So I'll stay with it a bit longer and see what happens. Prepaid so no contracts at least.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am going back to work - as a "Body Shop at Home" consultant. Thought it was about time I earned some cash and this fits for now. If you are interested in holding a gathering the host rewards are quite generous and it is christmas shopping time so let me know and I'll speak directly with you about it. Call if you have my number or PM me and I'll call you. Its a good excuse for a meetup and daytimes can be done as well as evenings.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

isle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura aboutisle has a spectacular aura about

Morning Ladies

Its been to long since we had a ladies night so was thinking that we should
all get together before Xmas, could even be classed as our xmas do.

Dates and places please.

Mandy yes happy to go any were
Sarah F
Angela yes (goes without asking)
Stacey (she is as good as a pom)
Jojo
Kelly & Mom
Becs
Tammy & Mom
Sarah J
Teresa
Emma
Trish
Tori
Gillian
If I have missed anyone sorry, Anyone else want to come your welcome.

Mrs Isle
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Great idea, Mand, I'm well up for that.

Rumour is they're opening a Hogs Breath Cafe on the Esplanade, but not sure if it'll be open in time for our ladies night.

There also appears to be a new bar being built on Main Street next to the Sex Shop...........!!

Do we want to have a meal as well as drinks or just drinks?

XX
Old Nov 12th 2009, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thats the Sex Shop down the Esplanade end of Main Street, not the other one, by the way. Not that I know the location of all the sex shops or anything. XX
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Thats the Sex Shop down the Esplanade end of Main Street, not the other one, by the way. Not that I know the location of all the sex shops or anything. XX
Hi

I was thinking food and drink.

Mx
Old Nov 12th 2009, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

goosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nicegoosefat is just really nice

Oh yeh !!

U can count us in pls !!! We will go any where would be good some where nice . get sloshed !! lol

dont know all thwe places so ill leave it up to the experts ! lol

Tam x
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'm up for dinner and drinks.

Some ideas:

* Bayswater - good food and usually a DJ on Friday and Sat nights plus has a courtesy bus home for those who live in town

* Georges Greek restaurant - good food plus they are doing Greek nights with plate smashing and greek dancing most Fri/Sat nights in December, and they have a courtesy bus home. However we've been there before for a girls night.

* Marina - Cafe Balenas has amazing food, nice setting & live music on Fri / Sat nights and then we could get Boat Club courtesy bus home.

* Cafe Tapas - nice food and cheap, its a BYO so cheap night all round. Could go to Torquay Hotel afterwards for a drink if people want to as they usually have live music on Fri / Sat nights.

* Lounge 1868 in Maryborough is good but bit of a trek and I'm not sure where is good to eat round there.

Any other ideas? There may be places having Christmas nights which might be worth a look.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:18 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by isle
Morning Ladies

Its been to long since we had a ladies night so was thinking that we should
all get together before Xmas, could even be classed as our xmas do.

Dates and places please.

Mandy yes happy to go any were
Sarah F
Angela yes (goes without asking)
Stacey (she is as good as a pom)
Jojo
Kelly & Mom
Becs
Tammy & Mom
Sarah J
Teresa
Emma
Trish
Tori
Gillian
If I have missed anyone sorry, Anyone else want to come your welcome.

Mrs Isle
Count me in please.

Dinner and drinks is a good idea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.