Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone from Victoria to SA?

Anyone gone from Victoria to SA?

Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone gone from Victoria to SA?

Hi we moved to NE Victoria in September last year and have the chance to apply for a job in Edinburgh, SA.
We are a family of 6 (4 kids aged 4,8,11 and 17) and would appreciate any advice about the area regarding schools, general lifestyle etc. We are currently in a rural town and I would love to live nearer the sea but we came her without visiting Australia at all and have no idea about Adelaide. If the job came through it would be ideal (although not rolling in money about the same as we have here) but it is a scary option moving the kids again after such a short time.
Please help as we have a short time to decide whether hubby should apply for the position and it is only really the fear of not knowing the area that is holding us back. For those who don't know our background before living here we spent 3 years in Belgium and would love to be closer to a city (although we aren't really city folk we like to have the choice). The kids are all settled in school here and are really happy so I am worried about moving them into the unknown. Our original choice had been SA although I can't for the life of me remember why and we ended up here because of the job offer at the time.
Any advice about the area will be gratefully received especially from anyone with kids.
Thanks
Nicky :scared:
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone gone from Victoria to SA?

Hi Nicky,

You haven't said where in SA you'd head for ... it'll make a difference!

We're going to Keith which is 3 hrs south east ish from Adelaide and its definately rural, which is good considering hubby a farmer! Anyway we're still only 2 hrs from coast and that's 2 hrs on good and very empty roads. As I said before 3hrs to Adelaide and probably 3 hrs down to Mount Gambier.

There's really only one school for the children to go to so we hope it's a good one but perhaps as they get older we'll put them into weekly boarding in Adelaide (just so they're not full on country bumpkins!).

That's close enough for us but with older children it might not be (mine are only 3 and 5).

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jothefw
Hi Nicky,

You haven't said where in SA you'd head for ... it'll make a difference!

We're going to Keith which is 3 hrs south east ish from Adelaide and its definately rural, which is good considering hubby a farmer! Anyway we're still only 2 hrs from coast and that's 2 hrs on good and very empty roads. As I said before 3hrs to Adelaide and probably 3 hrs down to Mount Gambier.

There's really only one school for the children to go to so we hope it's a good one but perhaps as they get older we'll put them into weekly boarding in Adelaide (just so they're not full on country bumpkins!).

That's close enough for us but with older children it might not be (mine are only 3 and 5).

Good luck with whatever you decide.
The job is in Edinburgh close to Elizabeth, Adelaide (North area of Adelaide I think). It looks pretty industrial on the map but beyond that I haven't a clue.
I hope that your move goes well we are in a rural city in NE Victoria at the moment and the facilities are fine, it is just a little isolated at times.
Nicky
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=NickyP]Hi we moved to NE Victoria in September last year and have the chance to apply for a job in Edinburgh, SA.

SORRY MUPPET CAN'T READ!

Have you been on Adbrits website - there's a lot of great advice on there!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Anyone got any info on these lovely areas from the map it looks like a pretty industrial area with salt evaporation areas on the coast . What is the travel time like? Any idea where is a sensible commute distance? What is traffic like etc?
I have checked out AdelaideBrits but I think that the mention of Elizabeth may have scared them off
Nicky
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Trace&Steve is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NickyP
Anyone got any info on these lovely areas from the map it looks like a pretty industrial area with salt evaporation areas on the coast . What is the travel time like? Any idea where is a sensible commute distance? What is traffic like etc?
I have checked out AdelaideBrits but I think that the mention of Elizabeth may have scared them off
Nicky
Hiya not sure but have a look at info on Golden Grove much nicer than Elizabeth and quite close. Not sure about the other place you mentioned as I have always live down South way.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 12:17 pm
Adelaide Bound

Seacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of lightSeacaptain is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NickyP
The job is in Edinburgh close to Elizabeth, Adelaide (North area of Adelaide I think). It looks pretty industrial on the map but beyond that I haven't a clue.
I hope that your move goes well we are in a rural city in NE Victoria at the moment and the facilities are fine, it is just a little isolated at times.
Nicky
Hi Nicky, have sent you a PM regarding a current thread discussing Elizabeth in Adelaide brits forum

Infact just re-read your message and I'm assuming your linked to Adbrits! I have family in Adelaide, they live in Grange, Semaphore and Henley, all really nice areas. Don't know if that's helped?

Last edited by Seacaptain; Jun 5th 2006 at 12:20 pm.