Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone gone rural? Comments please!

Anyone gone rural? Comments please!

Old Dec 5th 2004, 1:30 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone gone rural? Comments please!

Originally Posted by Larissa
Thanks for the info Simone!
Don't go looking for Bridgetown around Perth!
I can safely say, it won't be an option for you... it's about 350 kms south!
Lovely town though, if you could get work there....

Yeah, you have to have chooks, they're quite easy I guess. Little chicks are gorgeous, and you'll have your own eggs.
You just have to have someone who will kill the roosters for you..... :scared:
My dad didn't even want to do it. Friends of ours put them in the soup...
Old Dec 5th 2004, 10:05 pm
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Thanks, that's really interesting. I showed hubby your water tanks and he wants to know how much they cost? 100 acres... wow... that's loads! Good luck with it all!
The 7000g (31,700L) tanks cost us $3000 each. We bought two to catch rainwater from the sheds and a third is used to run the irrigation system to feed the water troughs for our cows (water pumped out of the Murray). We'll probably put at least another two 7000g tanks off of the house roof when it's built - we prefer a bath over a shower

In South Australia, new rural properties have to install a water tank containing at least 5,000L for the CFS (Country Fire Service) to use for firefighting (you "can't" use it for anything else). My wife and I are members of the CFS and along with the rest of the brigade we had to watch an old 1880s farmhouse burn to the ground recently when our trucks ran out of water after 5 minutes because the property didn't have an adequate supply of emergency water. If you build in the country, make your own firefighting system (e.g. sprinklers) because the firebrigade will take ages to get to you and there's no hydrant to tap into for an unlimited supply.

Another thing to watch out for when going rural is a water license. You could be located right next to the biggest dam in Australia, but without a license to take water from it you're buggered. In our part of the country the authorities are clamping down on water usage and they've stopped issuing new licenses. Check there is a water license with the property you want and make sure it gets transferred to you in the land purchase.

We have water frontage on the Murray (we actually own 20m of land into the Murray) which gives us "Riperian Rights" to take water for "Stock and Domestic", which means we can irrigate an acre of land around the house for gardens and give as much water as we want to our cows to drink (they need 30-50L each a day). We cannot use the water to irrigate crops or run a big commercial farming operation.
Old Dec 5th 2004, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to live in the sticks eventually once settled in Aus. I hope it becomes a reality one day. I wouldn't want to be in the back of beyond though, as local services can make all the difference when you want a certain amount of convenience without the general hubbub of town and city living.

So 'near to town' is what I'd aim for I guess. How 'bout you Cas?
Old Dec 5th 2004, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tonyk38
I'd like to live in the sticks eventually once settled in Aus. I hope it becomes a reality one day. I wouldn't want to be in the back of beyond though, as local services can make all the difference when you want a certain amount of convenience without the general hubbub of town and city living.

So 'near to town' is what I'd aim for I guess. How 'bout you Cas?
I'm a country girl, so couldn't live within a city - there are big cities I love - New York being my favourite - but I couldn't live there for long.

No, I need countryside, as long as a small city or town is accessible.
Cas
Old Dec 5th 2004, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I'm a country girl, so couldn't live within a city - there are big cities I love - New York being my favourite - but I couldn't live there for long.

No, I need countryside, as long as a small city or town is accessible.
Cas
Agreed!

Great minds think alike!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 3:24 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by welshpom
(profile says Victor Harbor).

Victor Harbor's a sprawling metropolis. I only go there occasionally because I don't like the crowds.

Victor's just the nearest town, I'm actually living (exisitng would be a better word) a few miles out of Victor Harbor in the sticks. The excitement really picked up yesterday when I found a dead sheep.

12,000 people live in Victor, sprawling metropolis indeed!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 3:29 am
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DollyDaydream
Hi Kentish Man,

Hope all is going well for you.

Now I know I'm going to regret asking this but can you elaborate?

D D
Hello m'dear. Nothing too dangerous on the wildlife front, just a few huntsmen spiders (big and furry but not lethal), cockroaches and flies by the score. Haven't seen any more snakes recently.

Don't worry, I'm sure it's not so bad in the city!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:59 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Anyone gone rural? Comments please!

Originally Posted by welshpom
I'm just learning this (not the hard way, I was prepared). Bought 100 acres with nothing but grass and ferral pine trees on it with the intention of building a home and hobby farm. Before we even got an architect for the house we had farm sheds built and stuck 7000 gallon tanks (http://www.hartill.net/Hindmarsh_Isl.../IMG_2920.html) next to both to catch part of out future needs. We've only had 300mm of rain so far this year. http://www.hartill.net/HI/, which is just enough to fill each 7000g tank once !.
If you have less than 300mm of rainfall in your area, do your sums first to see if the surface area of your house roof will sustain your needs.

Also be aware that if the property you're buying does not have existing powerlines nearby, you'll have to pay a fortune to get ETSA to extend the netwrok to reach you. It's going to cost us nearly $20k to bring power 240 metres from the nearest pole to our boundary. ETSA insist it is trenched 1 metre down - the council don't want any more new power poles errected.

Beware of buying 5-10 acres, it'll probably be too much work for yourself if you have a day job and not many contractors will be keen to bring their equipment in for such a small plot.
Good to see you are settled W/P , ask them for the price to put 3 phase on, i was looking at 10k for every 500mtrs , nearest pole 3km.....
Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

We have looked at this whole rural living thing and decided basically to live near the city as we will probably both have jobs in the CBD, easy for the kids to get around, lots of activities for them and then move more rural when we retire maybe.
the thought of 3 "kevin the teenagers" moping round saying "god, I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo booooooooooorrrrrrreeeeeeeeddddddd" and "I hate you for making us live here" didn't really appeal!

Andy.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 11:09 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by mr mover
ask them for the price to put 3 phase on, i was looking at 10k for every 500mtrs , nearest pole 3km.....
It's costing us $20k for 240 metres approx and that is 3-phase. That's just to get the cable to our property boundary. ETSA will errect 1 pole with a transformer right next to the current 'last' pole and then the cable is trenched the rest of the way under an unmade road.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Fuggle will become famous soon enoughFuggle will become famous soon enough

Thanks for all your comments guys. We're in no rush to move, so hopefully will have time to mull everything over and investigate more fully. Our friend has offered for us to house sit, so hopefully we can get a better idea. I've been thinking carefully about the distances involved and opportunities for the kids. Muchea is gorgeous (also has plentiful water as water table is high there and you still get the breeze from the sea, so not too hot) but it's just about as far away from Perth as you can go. Maybe we will be able to find some good land closer to Joondalup, as there are good facilities for the kids there. I've also found a good builder - fallen in love with "The Rural Building Co", www.ruralbuilding.com.au so hankering after the country lifestyle. Call me a pommie dreamer if you like, I admit getting obsessed with verandas and so on!
Must have a natter with Simone at our ladies night...

Can understand how you can "fall in love" with the buildings from these building companies, We are thinking of going Rural (ish) but sunshine / Gold Coast Hinterland and have been checking these ones out

https://secure.aussiehouses.com.au/home.htm

Ahh can only but dream Doubt it will become the reality - but its nice to have the ideas.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 3:52 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fuggle
Can understand how you can "fall in love" with the buildings from these building companies, We are thinking of going Rural (ish) but sunshine / Gold Coast Hinterland and have been checking these ones out

Ahh can only but dream Doubt it will become the reality - but its nice to have the ideas.
I have had that house site booked for ages - I love those houses too.

Has anyone built with that company, any comments?

Typically I love the most expensive house

Lynn
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:38 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Lynn,
Just been looking through the site with the wife & she is sold on them.

The suggestion was that I went out first & bult the house & she would follow onceit's all done!!!

Has anyone built one?

Bye
Mark
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markeh
Lynn,
Just been looking through the site with the wife & she is sold on them.

The suggestion was that I went out first & bult the house & she would follow onceit's all done!!!

Has anyone built one?

Bye
Mark
Can't help with the building, but The Bloke suggests getting a new wife....!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Fuggle

Does anyone know roughly what the price range is for these houses? I couldn't get anything to work beyond the home page when I tried to see for myself. Love the look of the house on the homepage mind!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.