Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone gone to aussie without a job ???

anyone gone to aussie without a job ???

Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of
Red face anyone gone to aussie without a job ???

Hi
Just wondering has anyone gone to aussie without a job ?
Got two kids , hubby on CSL, just about to get TRA done...
should have done it a year ago!!!!
If we sold house , had visa in place, and just went ( would have enough money to live for year or more )
Then look for jobs out there??
Any comments, ideas xxx
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:01 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: anyone gone to aussie without a job ???

Originally Posted by rackcatt
Hi
If we sold house , had visa in place, and just went ( would have enough money to live for year or more )
Any comments, ideas xxx
I would reckon 90% of us who are not employer-sponsored have come to aussie without a job.

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2010, 7:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone gone to aussie without a job ???

Hi
Any comments, ideas xxx
The vast majority of us come without jobs. Unless you are on an employer sponsored visa its very hard to get a job before you arrive, as its just easier for employers to take someone who lives here.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

rackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud ofrackcatt has much to be proud of

Well thats really shocked us, we thought were just being crazy...
Anyone got any up dates / stories that have gone and how they found a job etc ??
Knowing our luck, visa will take forever even on CSL
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

I've been offered fly in fly out work wihch I can pretty much secure prior to making the move but since I have a young family we thought that this wouldn't be ideal. Recruitment agency have said that to be city based I'll need to be interviewed in Oz but that due to the expected boom in construction it shouldn't be too long before I get a job.

Hope everything works out with your move.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
I've been offered fly in fly out work wihch I can pretty much secure prior to making the move but since I have a young family we thought that this wouldn't be ideal. Recruitment agency have said that to be city based I'll need to be interviewed in Oz but that due to the expected boom in construction it shouldn't be too long before I get a job.

Hope everything works out with your move.
Hi,
Excuse my ignorance, what is 'fly in, fly out' work.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

thats what i was wondering too ??
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:19 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: anyone gone to aussie without a job ???

Originally Posted by pazza
Hi,
Excuse my ignorance, what is 'fly in, fly out' work.

You work somewhere for, say 2 weeks, then fly home for say 2 weeks then fly back to work for say 2 weeks.

It's to attract people to work in places they or their families wouldn't want to live such as mining towns in the middle of the desert.

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

ah i see , a bit like the oil rigs. I would miss my OH too much. lol
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:40 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Any comments, ideas xxx
I was out of work (Software Development) for 3 years before I came over (extended 'break for travel', a.k.a bumming around burning off the proceeds of my flat sale).

Took me 3 months to find one, tips:
1) Don't hark back to life in the UK or do comparisons
2) Take a short term contract to get your foot in the door
3) No really, any short term contract
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:51 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Took me 4 days to get a job. My husband took a lot longer and an interstate move to find a job. 9 months in total.

So, Vim's advice is good. Don't compare Australia to where you come from. This isn't "back home", it's a different country and they do things differently here. Contract/temp work will get you that all important Australian experience and if you're good may land you a permanent position.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

simmoman is an unknown quantity at this point

I went out in late 2005 with no job, 2 kids and girlfriend and only enough money to last a few months...was a bit of a gamble but got work in a matter of weeks because I am a Civil Engineer with Rail Engineering experience and I located to Newcastle.

Do your research and pick somewhere with lots of jobs advertised...check out www.mycareer.com.au.

Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

great advice guys, thanks
OH is a aircraft avionics maintainenace engineer have been looking on job sites, but not seeing anything..
anyone now areas that has lots aviation, aerospace sites ?
love the look of adelaide, but have uncle in melbourne, not sure about perth.....will give anywhere a go
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

I would look up BAE and see if they have anything in your line of work.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

http://www.baesystemscareers.com.au/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.