Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone going/in Townsville?

anyone going/in Townsville?

Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:26 am
Just Joined

fruitball is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone going/in Townsville?

We hope to be out there in February. Feeling a bit anxious now. Last time we were there was '88. (we were young travellers, now married 3 kids). What's the job situation like there?

Any info will be aprreciated.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 10:51 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: anyone going/in Townsville?

Originally posted by fruitball
We hope to be out there in February. Feeling a bit anxious now. Last time we were there was '88. (we were young travellers, now married 3 kids). What's the job situation like there?

Any info will be aprreciated.
We might be heading up that way. We really liked the town when we stayed there for a couple of months, and we hope to end up there, wherever we go initally.

Unfortunatly i think the work front can be a bit difficult, but it would depend largely on what you do. If you are an office worker, you stand little chance of finding work quickly. If however you work in agriculture or a trade, you may be ok.

Our plan is probably going to be to head for Brisbane at first, to get ourselves settled, and then head up to Tvlle later on once we have a base in Bris to travel from/to while we look for work.

What line of work are you in?
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:00 am
Just Joined

fruitball is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in printing. Pre-press, Apple Mac. In fact anything print related including running the machine. I've sent a CV to North Queensland Newspapers, as I worked there before, but have had no reply. Fortunately my wife is a nurse and can work in the General Hospital there.

We both loved Townsville! How did you find Brisbane? we kind of just drove through and didn't get to see any of it.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 11:12 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Brisbane was ok. I would have to admit that its not really my cup of tea....its a tad too busy/american for my tastes. I do like the climate though, as i like it hot Townsvilles even better for that though, without so much hussle and bustle.

Pre-Press.....hmmmm, i would hate to say it but i feel you MIGHT be a tad limited in tvlle. You might be lucky though, so if you really did like the place, and seeing as the wife can get work it might be worth a shot. You never know, you may even end up re-training and get a different type of job you enjoy?

I've been toying with the idea of starting up my own business in townsville as a photographer, if work in my field (im a geo) is hard to come by up there (which is very possible ) My wifes an accountant (and an aussie), so that plan would be VERY dependant upon her finding work too. There are a few biggish finance companies in tvlle (QBE and Price Waterhouse), so there is a glimmer of hope at least.

Only time will tell!

Great town though eh

Loved walking along the strand in the evenings, maybe popping into town to watch a film, or go for a few beers. Loved fishing up at Palarendra, or the 1hr drive up to Lucinda for Hinchinbrook. Ahhhh i can't wait ! It seemed to be just the right sort of size for us, not too big, not too small.
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:47 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by PeteY
Brisbane was ok. I would have to admit that its not really my cup of tea....its a tad too busy/american for my tastes. I do like the climate though, as i like it hot Townsvilles even better for that though, without so much hussle and bustle.

Pre-Press.....hmmmm, i would hate to say it but i feel you MIGHT be a tad limited in tvlle. You might be lucky though, so if you really did like the place, and seeing as the wife can get work it might be worth a shot. You never know, you may even end up re-training and get a different type of job you enjoy?

I've been toying with the idea of starting up my own business in townsville as a photographer, if work in my field (im a geo) is hard to come by up there (which is very possible ) My wifes an accountant (and an aussie), so that plan would be VERY dependant upon her finding work too. There are a few biggish finance companies in tvlle (QBE and Price Waterhouse), so there is a glimmer of hope at least.

Only time will tell!

Great town though eh

Loved walking along the strand in the evenings, maybe popping into town to watch a film, or go for a few beers. Loved fishing up at Palarendra, or the 1hr drive up to Lucinda for Hinchinbrook. Ahhhh i can't wait ! It seemed to be just the right sort of size for us, not too big, not too small.
?
School of Earth Sciences, James Cook University, Townsville, Qld 4811, Australia
Old Sep 9th 2003, 12:49 pm
A Male Member

Already had that one

Cheers anyway !
Old Sep 9th 2003, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Mark & Amanda is an unknown quantity at this point

I am an accountant too (management rather than the auditing kind).

Mark's job at Townsville hospital was found through someone he knew getting a job there so we didn't specifically choose Townsville as a destination. It seems to be about the same size as where we live now though so it will suit us. We spent four years in the south east (Berkshire) and I wouldn't want to live anywhere as densely populated again.