Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

"Anyone going to sydney"

Wikiposts

"Anyone going to sydney"

Old Sep 18th 2003, 11:59 pm
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: There on Oct 1

Originally posted by amaslam
I'm going to be in Sydney in in 2 weeks (~Oct 1)

Settling there by myself. Have a job (same company transferred to AU office). On a 4 yr work Visa, but will apply for PR - skilled or ENS once I'm there. Don't expect problems with that.

Will be living in Dee Why - North Shore (been checking apartments for a while now, will be inspecting as soon as I get there).

Office here is sending a good portion of my personal items (no furniture, mostly books, papers). Clothes and basics I'm taking with me on the flight.

Dee Why, that is a beautiful town. I love it there. Not far from Manly and the northern suburbs. I used to live in Balgowlah and every morning would get the ferry across the sydney harbour to work and think what a lucky b1tch I am.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 12:30 am
Testing

Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in a similar situation, Tom - meds/police sent mid June, nothing much since (last I heard - early August - the medicals were with HAS in Sydney).

We don't have a house to sell which some might see as an advantage - but on the other hand we don't have a huge wodge of inflated-house-price money to come from a sale either. So we'll be saving hard and probably planning to go around July/August 2004. I'm also spending too much time on Oz job sites - looking for IIS admin/sysadmin/SQL DBA work.

I know Sydney is expensive but we just weren't grabbed by Brisbane when we visited - it didn't have the buzz you get in Sydney.

Paul

Originally posted by montagt
Sydney bound (if that Visa ever arrives).....

My Wife Julie and the 3 kids plan to go out to Sydney in March 04. I was hoping to have the visa around now but no word as of yet. I submitted the requested police reports and medicals at the end of June beginning of July........still waiting...

Until I get my Visa I cannot apply for work as of yet but It doesnt stop me looking on the job websites.

Still waiting.........

Tom
Old Sep 19th 2003, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: "Anyone going to sydney"

Originally posted by Scott&Berni
Hi

Now were in the swing of this forum lark.......we are hoping to get to Sydney in december for a first visit to organise accomodation and hopefully do interviews. Is anyone else arriving december to March time.. It would be good to make a few friends before we get there.
We're going out in Mid/Late October to do some 'scouting' and sort out schools and rented accomodation prior to the actual move in Jan 2004.

We're looking to live in the Northern Beaches area and have been doing some research on demographics, etc. If anyone's interested, see the attached spreadsheet.

If anyone who'se already made the move fancies a drink while we're over, I'm up for it.

Best wishes

Kev

Last edited by kevmitch; Sep 19th 2003 at 4:06 am.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by kevmitch
We're going out in Mid/Late October to do some 'scouting' and sort out schools and rented accomodation prior to the actual move in Jan 2004.

We're looking to live in the Northern Beaches area and have been doing some research on demographics, etc. If anyone's interested, see the attached spreadsheet.

If anyone who'se already made the move fancies a drink while we're over, I'm up for it.

Best wishes

Kev
It won't let me attach the spreadsheet. If anyone wants it, send me a private mail and I'll attach it that way!!

Kev
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:24 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Monkey
We're in a similar situation, Tom - meds/police sent mid June, nothing much since (last I heard - early August - the medicals were with HAS in Sydney).

We don't have a house to sell which some might see as an advantage - but on the other hand we don't have a huge wodge of inflated-house-price money to come from a sale either. So we'll be saving hard and probably planning to go around July/August 2004. I'm also spending too much time on Oz job sites - looking for IIS admin/sysadmin/SQL DBA work.

I know Sydney is expensive but we just weren't grabbed by Brisbane when we visited - it didn't have the buzz you get in Sydney.

Paul
I know what you mean. In Sydney you get a feeling you are in city that matters to the world. The other cities are just wannabes.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

We are already in Sydney, been here for 18months now. We are in Castle Hill, in the hills district. We think its great here!!

Mandy
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Scott&Berni is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow so there arepeople out there...out there...out thereeeeeeeeeee going to Sydney.

Good to hear from you all. we have a mammoth day ahead today of searching for jobs, prices of property to rent, best suburbs, moving companies etc.

I think this site is the best resources we;ve found.

I think it would be great to meet up to make a few friends when we arrive in OZ. I need something to keep me going for the next 12 weeks until we go.

Has anyone found any good sites that tell you about the suburbs of Sydney? I lived there for a year before but I really only know the CBD and Bondi/Bronte areas?

Cheers
Old Sep 19th 2003, 7:43 pm
Hello Sydney Oct 1

amaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Try to find someone who's living in the Area

I think in the next 12 weeks you try to find someone already living in an area you are thinking of. I didn't find web info on the various areas for living (but plenty for tourism). It actually matters which street you're on even in nice area's.

i.e.

I got in touch already living in the Dee Why area from the office I'm moving to. She told me which streets were nice (and close to beach) and which streets had:

- noise (i.e. major road)
- low-income housing
- food shops close together (and a roach problem )

and note that these streets are in a perfectly nice area (Dee Why)

Also this person is being very helpful when I send her links to places I'm interested and giving feedback like (old building, or no built-ins, or watch out south facing, so no breeze). She also calls the agents for me and will act as a character reference once I'm move to AU (Needless to say I'm very very grateful to her and will be helping her with whatever she needs).

The real estate website I'm using is:

http://www.realestate.com.au and also look at http://www.domain.com.au

Good luck in your search. I find a sense of place by reading the daily paper (http://www.smh.com.au), and checking the Real Estate websites. But best resource is a local person.

Best of luck in your search, please take your time in reading on several websites since it takes a while for info to sink in and to get a sense of what your 'truly' want (i.e. I thought I would be OK with a studio but when I saw pictures I really found out I was uncomfortable with that so my new requirement is 1 BR or 2 BR).

Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

rumbletum will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by kevmitch

Best wishes

Kev
Hi Kev
Waiting to hear about visas still, but hoping to get out there early next year. I also have 2 kids school age so any info re schools would be great once you've had your scout around. Have friends living around Baulkham Hills, Castle Hill area which they are impressed with. Depends on what we sell ours for here, but hope to live in the northern hills district as dont think we could afford to live in northern beaches. Enjoy your trip, looking forward to heaps of info when you get back!!
Heather
Old Sep 19th 2003, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Scott&Berni
Hi

Good to hear from some one who is going to Sydney....everyone sems to be Melbourne/Brisbane or Perth!!.

Do you have a job to go to? What do you do for a living? Do you have family to go to? Where are you planning to live?
Scott&Berni
Hi, we are hoping to move to Sydney. I am a registered childrens nurse and am hoping to get a job either at Westmead or the Sydney Childrens hospital. No job lined up yet, will perhaps wait till we get there. Husband is self employed here doing furniture repairs but also has a lifeguard and swimming coach qualification so could fall back on that if necessary.
Got two girls age 8 and 11, so hope to live somewhere where the kids can enjoy an outdoor sort of lifestyle, you know, parks etc. Good schools important too, so hoping to get info from people on the forum that live in the northern hills/beaches areas.
We want to be out there at the beginning of 2004 but that will depend on us getting our visas and selling our house, of course. Dont have family in Sydney, but have family in Canberra. Have friends in Allambie and friends in Leonay (Blue Mountains) and also some friends in Baulkam Hills.
Heather
Old Oct 8th 2003, 12:36 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we are hoping to move to Sydney. I am a registered childrens nurse and am hoping to get a job either at Westmead or the Sydney Childrens hospital. No job lined up yet, will perhaps wait till we get there. Husband is self employed here doing furniture repairs but also has a lifeguard and swimming coach qualification so could fall back on that if necessary.
Got two girls age 8 and 11, so hope to live somewhere where the kids can enjoy an outdoor sort of lifestyle, you know, parks etc. Good schools important too, so hoping to get info from people on the forum that live in the northern hills/beaches areas.
We want to be out there at the beginning of 2004 but that will depend on us getting our visas and selling our house, of course. Dont have family in Sydney, but have family in Canberra. Have friends in Allambie and friends in Leonay (Blue Mountains) and also some friends in Baulkam Hills.
Heather [/QUOTE]

Hi Heather
I'm working as a nurse in Westmead Emergency and we're living in the Hills District in Kings Langley, the suburb next to Baulkham Hills. Been here since Nov 2002 and really like the area, not too far to commute to work, and good schools (our boys are 9 and 11). As a nurse you'll definately have no problems getting work, so good luck with the move, maybe we can meet up when you arrive.
Sue
Old Oct 8th 2003, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by SueandIan
Hi Heather
I'm working as a nurse in Westmead Emergency and we're living in the Hills District in Kings Langley, the suburb next to Baulkham Hills. Been here since Nov 2002 and really like the area, not too far to commute to work, and good schools (our boys are 9 and 11). As a nurse you'll definately have no problems getting work, so good luck with the move, maybe we can meet up when you arrive.
Sue

Hi Sue
Great to hear from a nurse from Westmead. This is where I want to work. I have a friend working there already in the adult ITU. Obviously I want to work in paeds, and have actually emailed the personell dept. just to get some advice about working on the bank. That was about 10 days ago and have heard nothing. Oh well, there is nothing I can do yet anyway until I know about our visas. Your sons are similar ages to my girls, it would be great to meet up when (if ever!!) we get there. The great thing about this forum, is that I feel like I know loads of people already just from 'chatting' on here.

Have got the estate agent coming to value our house on Saturday. Dont know whether we should tempt fate by putting the house up for sale yet, but I know when the visas come through, we will just want to get out there. Would love to get there before the school year begins in January. Katie has already started High School here, and we would like her to start at the same point as all the other kids, if that is possible. Do your kids go to private or public school... can you recommend any schools, and do you think we ought to be writing to them for their prospectus etc.
Thanks
Old Oct 8th 2003, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rumbletum
Hi Sue
Great to hear from a nurse from Westmead. This is where I want to work. I have a friend working there already in the adult ITU. Obviously I want to work in paeds, and have actually emailed the personell dept. just to get some advice about working on the bank. That was about 10 days ago and have heard nothing. Oh well, there is nothing I can do yet anyway until I know about our visas. Your sons are similar ages to my girls, it would be great to meet up when (if ever!!) we get there. The great thing about this forum, is that I feel like I know loads of people already just from 'chatting' on here.

Have got the estate agent coming to value our house on Saturday. Dont know whether we should tempt fate by putting the house up for sale yet, but I know when the visas come through, we will just want to get out there. Would love to get there before the school year begins in January. Katie has already started High School here, and we would like her to start at the same point as all the other kids, if that is possible. Do your kids go to private or public school... can you recommend any schools, and do you think we ought to be writing to them for their prospectus etc.
Thanks

Hi Heather
I've sent you a Private Message re schools, hope its useful.
Sue
Old Oct 8th 2003, 6:37 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Hi We are retiring to NSW and will be buying a house in Wollondillyshire (about 50 minutes on fast train to Sydney Central Quay) or 1.10 mins by slow one. Only cost 3 dollars as OAPs so good location Quite rural with short dive down F5 to large shopping centre (similar to Brum or Croydon in size)

Have already heard from an ex pat in my local area of choice who is being very kind and sending tearouts from the local property pages.

Will probably be paying same price for 3 bed house with 1/4 acre in Bargo/Thirlmere area as for 2 bed flat in Sutton Surrey.

Glad others have found that Sydnet is not too expesnive to relocate to if you hunt around. Not all in the SE England live in central London - same dfference????!!!!

Be good to have a meet up there We hope to commence our journey to oz early in November (UK sale permitting)