Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone going to OZ want to buy my tv/dvd/video?

Anyone going to OZ want to buy my tv/dvd/video?

Old Nov 28th 2004, 9:05 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Anyone going to OZ want to buy my tv/dvd/video?

Hi there,

After getting all our things back off the container and being assured by the Aussie packers that our Aussie bought tv would work back in the Uk....well...IT DOESN'T!!!

For sale to any would be expats at a bargain price of 50 pounds (aussie keyboard (that works) but can't find pound sign!)

Thats a 21inch flat screen tv (Sanyo) a Akai dvd player and a Sanyo video for 50 quid. We bout it in Perth in Feb 2003 and used it until May 2004, still have all the instructions etc.

We live in Nottm so anyone interested send me a message.
Old Nov 28th 2004, 9:30 pm

stevereed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone going to OZ want to buy my tv/dvd/video?

Originally Posted by janeyray
Hi there,

After getting all our things back off the container and being assured by the Aussie packers that our Aussie bought tv would work back in the Uk....well...IT DOESN'T!!!

For sale to any would be expats at a bargain price of 50 pounds (aussie keyboard (that works) but can't find pound sign!)

Thats a 21inch flat screen tv (Sanyo) a Akai dvd player and a Sanyo video for 50 quid. We bout it in Perth in Feb 2003 and used it until May 2004, still have all the instructions etc.

I'll have it, just looking online tonight. could you get it couriered to me. Pharos international are only £15-20 or so. I'm in Bognor Regis
Old Nov 28th 2004, 10:10 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Before you sell it ... have you tried looking for an option to switch from Pal/B to Pal/I it'll be int he setup / international setup / etc options in the setup menu.
Or if its really clever each channel might have an option in the Tuner / fine tune to select PAL/I/B/G (There are 3 pal types from memory - I , B , and G )

This is the main difference between Aussie &* UK broadcasts. The Aussie VCR will be same...

Your TV will work witha scart-connected sky box or freeview tuner... freeview tuners are like 30 quid on eqbay scart leads are about 5£ ...
Old Nov 28th 2004, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by spalen
Before you sell it ... have you tried looking for an option to switch from Pal/B to Pal/I it'll be int he setup / international setup / etc options in the setup menu.
Or if its really clever each channel might have an option in the Tuner / fine tune to select PAL/I/B/G (There are 3 pal types from memory - I , B , and G )

This is the main difference between Aussie &* UK broadcasts. The Aussie VCR will be same...

Your TV will work witha scart-connected sky box or freeview tuner... freeview tuners are like 30 quid on eqbay scart leads are about 5£ ...
Don't say that. I want to buy it
Old Nov 28th 2004, 10:29 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

TV: It's Pal I for UK and Pal B/G for Australia (the others are D/K and M but you don't need to worry about them right now). If you've got the original manual look under TV System, alternatively look in the TV on-sccreen menu - if it's got Pal I it will work. You just need to work out how to change it.

A lot of multi-region TVs have an M towards the end of the model number e.g my Sony is KV-XR29M31

Cheers,

Big.
Old Nov 28th 2004, 11:32 pm
ABCDiamond

(aussie keyboard (that works) but can't find pound sign!)
Hold down the ALT key, and press 0163, then release ALT key and you get - £

When we went back to UK in 1996 we had our Aussie TV converted, and it worked fine. When we came back in 2000 we had to have it converted back again, and it worked well until losing some colour in 2002. But then, we bought it in 1991, so it didn't do too bad

Old Nov 29th 2004, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Rupes is an unknown quantity at this point

don't spose you're interested in buying a UK TV/video then as mine wont work in Aus.
Philips Widescreen 100Hz black TV(28PW9623/05),infrared surround speakers.

Rupes

Hi there,

Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:53 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spalen

Thanks for that. I've had a look at the tv and can't seem to find anything in the menu relating to PAL/I/B/G or any sort of PAL. When the tv is plugged into the main ariel the picture is perfect I just get a fuzzy noise instead of the sound. A TV shop said they could do it but the cost would be around 150 pounds plus labour.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 7:58 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. I've had a look at the tv and can't seem to find anything in the menu relating to PAL/I/B/G or any sort of PAL. When the tv is plugged into the main ariel the picture is perfect I just get a fuzzy noise instead of the sound. A TV shop said they could do it but the cost would be around 150 pounds plus labour.
Maybe get a Digital TV receiver and use that. Plug it in using the yellow red and white connector. If you do decide to replace the TV you still have the digital receiver.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:21 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

That fuzzy noise is what is the difference between I/B/G - the difference is they broadcast the soundon different frequencies. ;-)

Try going to www.dejanews.com and puttng in the model number to see what comes up - you might find how to access the setup menu. Or stick it on here and one of the helpful souls will no doubt check for you ;-)
Old Nov 29th 2004, 8:24 pm

Should I assume it is off the market??? If so I'll purchase a multiple standard one before I go.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

pogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nicepogsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Galah
TV: It's Pal I for UK and Pal B/G for Australia (the others are D/K and M but you don't need to worry about them right now). If you've got the original manual look under TV System, alternatively look in the TV on-sccreen menu - if it's got Pal I it will work. You just need to work out how to change it.

A lot of multi-region TVs have an M towards the end of the model number e.g my Sony is KV-XR29M31

Cheers,

Big.
Does that mean if my instruction manual lists PAL,SECAM:B/G D/K.I, L L' it will work in oz.
Old Nov 29th 2004, 9:09 pm
ah-beng

Pretty much - yes.