Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone going to the Gold Coast in January with teenagers

Anyone going to the Gold Coast in January with teenagers

Old Nov 22nd 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice
Default Anyone going to the Gold Coast in January with teenagers

Just wondered if there are any families going out to the Gold Coast in January with teenage children.

We fly from Heathrow on the 6th January to Brisbane. Have three teenage sons aged 13, 15 and 18.

Jackie xx
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

UsLot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone going to the Gold Coast in January with teenagers

Originally Posted by noofie View Post
Just wondered if there are any families going out to the Gold Coast in January with teenage children.

We fly from Heathrow on the 6th January to Brisbane. Have three teenage sons aged 13, 15 and 18.

Jackie xx
Hi, We'll heading back to the Gold Coast at the end of January. Our boys are 15, 17 and 18. This will be second time around for us though. We moved to Oz September 07 but the two eldest could not settle, so after seven months we returned to the UK [big mistake]. Where abouts are you hoping to settle?.

Mandy x
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

victoria-louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there! Me and my husband are also hoping to come out in the new year probably feb, with a view to moving there permanently eventually. We have 3 boys 5, 10, and 16 (17 in Feb), just wondered why your 2 sons couldnt settle as dale, our eldest is our biggest worry! any advice?

vicky
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:50 pm
sub
Forum Regular

sub will become famous soon enoughsub will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by victoria-louise View Post
Hi there! Me and my husband are also hoping to come out in the new year probably feb, with a view to moving there permanently eventually. We have 3 boys 5, 10, and 16 (17 in Feb), just wondered why your 2 sons couldnt settle as dale, our eldest is our biggest worry! any advice?

vicky
Dont go there vic!!!!
Come to Adelaide with us!!!!
Susan xx
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

vicky

Hi Vicky,

We made the mistake of putting our 18 year old into school, when we really should of sent him to Tafe [college]. The school put him back a year [yr11], so the kids were all younger then him and he struggled to click with anyone. It did'nt help that all his mates back in the UK were turning 18 so you can imagine all the partys he was missing. The 17 year old was always going to be a problem because he was leaving his first love behind in the UK [long gone now].
This time we are enroling the eldest onto a diploma course at Ashmore Tafe and our 17 year old is making enquiries for a place at the Gold Coast Technical college.

Hopefully things will be different this time.

Mandy x
Old Nov 22nd 2008, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice

Originally Posted by UsLot View Post
Hi, We'll heading back to the Gold Coast at the end of January. Our boys are 15, 17 and 18. This will be second time around for us though. We moved to Oz September 07 but the two eldest could not settle, so after seven months we returned to the UK [big mistake]. Where abouts are you hoping to settle?.

Mandy x
Hi Mandy,

Would be great to make contact with you and your boys - especially as our boys are the same age.
We are not quite sure where to settle yet, I have a job at the Gold Coast hospital so anywhere within travelling distance, we would need to look at schools for the younger two as well and that will be a big deciding factor on where to live.
Our eldest will be leaving his girlfriend of over 2 years behind - first love college sweethearts so its going to be hard for him. He has just left college after doing re-sits and has applied to uni here (planning to come back to start next September I am hoping he will change his mind). He is our main priority as far a settling is concerned.
Keep in touch.

Jackie xx
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mandy,

Would be great to make contact with you and your boys - especially as our boys are the same age.
We are not quite sure where to settle yet, I have a job at the Gold Coast hospital so anywhere within travelling distance, we would need to look at schools for the younger two as well and that will be a big deciding factor on where to live.
Our eldest will be leaving his girlfriend of over 2 years behind - first love college sweethearts so its going to be hard for him. He has just left college after doing re-sits and has applied to uni here (planning to come back to start next September I am hoping he will change his mind). He is our main priority as far a settling is concerned.
Keep in touch.

Jackie xx
Hi Jackie,

Maybe we could all meet up or something?

We'll hoping Frazer will have his driving licence before we leave here - that would help him get about I suppose.
It really is the worse possible age to do the move, but others have gone before us and succeeded.
Are any of your boys interested in sport? If so get them involved with clubs. Your eldest could maybe look at doing a course at tafe, even if it's only a short one. This time I'm hiding the computer! My boys were constantly on it last time and I think it made it harder for them to let go of their old life.

I'll stay in touch

Mandy x
Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:01 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Jackie xx
Ooooo, your boys will love the Gold Coast.
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Hi Mandy!

Hope it all works out for you this time, I'm taking on board your idea of taking away the computer! The problem with Dale (nearly 17) is he really doesnt want to go, he's started his plumbing apprenticeship and is enjoying it so much but deep down he knows as a family we'll be a lot better off (hopefully) in Oz. They're so stubborn though at this age!!!
Any advice on good n bad suburbs?
Also just heard there is a big drugs problem with teens over there?

vicky x
Old Nov 24th 2008, 10:40 am
Just Joined

By the way Susan, wish it was that easy, i'd be with you in a flash!!! xxx
Old Nov 24th 2008, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mandy!

Hope it all works out for you this time, I'm taking on board your idea of taking away the computer! The problem with Dale (nearly 17) is he really doesnt want to go, he's started his plumbing apprenticeship and is enjoying it so much but deep down he knows as a family we'll be a lot better off (hopefully) in Oz. They're so stubborn though at this age!!!
Any advice on good n bad suburbs?
Also just heard there is a big drugs problem with teens over there?

vicky x
The thing with kids of this age is they have only the school day memories [fun times]. What they don't realize is that once they leave school those friends move on - some go off to Uni, others search out work further afield and some decide to travel. Nothing stays the same! We tried explaining this to our lads, but because they were the first to make that break they couldnt see it! After being back here for seven months they're now seeing it for themselves.

Yes there's drugs in Oz, but I think they're EVERYWHERE! We live in a lovely village in the Cotswolds and we have them here.

Areas to live... I suppose it depends on what sort of work you do. I like Elanora, but at the moment I'm being pulled to Mudgeeraba. A lot of people seem to like Robina and I hear Reedy Creek is nice. I guess it's a case of getting into your car and checking them all out.

Have you checked the Gold Coast Technical college out? My 17 year old wants a trade so that's where I'll be sending him.

Feel free to private message me your phone number if you want to chat.

Mandy x
Old Nov 24th 2008, 8:16 pm
sub
Forum Regular

sub will become famous soon enoughsub will become famous soon enough

By the way Susan, wish it was that easy, i'd be with you in a flash!!! xxx
Would love you to!
There are always internal flights, that only cost a few dollars!
Will always keep in touch no matter which part of the planet we are on!!
Gold coast is a beautiful place, sure you will love it
Susan xx
Old Nov 25th 2008, 9:57 am
Potton to the Gold Coast

Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jackie,

We moved to the Gold Coast nearly three years ago and havent looked back since.

We have three kids, now aged 8, 15 and 18. callum my eldest couldn't settle in school, just too much of a change for him at the time so he left when he was 17 years old and came to work with me as an apprentice shop fitter.

The other two have settled in like ducks to water which was great as the kids are allways your first concern. We got the other 2 settled in school, got them yearly passes at the local theme parks ($99 each), they have loads of friends, not the hoodie type that is the rage in the UK and best of all there is allways something to do here on the Gold Coast.

Although it may be a little daunting, Australia has many life changing possibilities and you can acheive what you want if you put your mind to it.

We came out here with no job to go to and now i own my own shop fitting business and my wife does not have to work, i get loads of time off to spend with the kids and lots of golfing for me.

Focus on your goals and you will get there.......and your kids will thank you for giving them endless opportunities and a better quality of life.

Good luck

Rob
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:11 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UsLot View Post
The thing with kids of this age is they have only the school day memories [fun times]. What they don't realize is that once they leave school those friends move on - some go off to Uni, others search out work further afield and some decide to travel. Nothing stays the same! We tried explaining this to our lads, but because they were the first to make that break they couldnt see it! After being back here for seven months they're now seeing it for themselves.

Yes there's drugs in Oz, but I think they're EVERYWHERE! We live in a lovely village in the Cotswolds and we have them here.

Areas to live... I suppose it depends on what sort of work you do. I like Elanora, but at the moment I'm being pulled to Mudgeeraba. A lot of people seem to like Robina and I hear Reedy Creek is nice. I guess it's a case of getting into your car and checking them all out.

Have you checked the Gold Coast Technical college out? My 17 year old wants a trade so that's where I'll be sending him.

Feel free to private message me your phone number if you want to chat.

Mandy x
A little bird told me you were coming back in the same sentence as telling me you had gone back to the UK!!!

Do hope it works out for you this time around.

Are the boys happy to be coming back?

I like Elanora too X
Old Nov 25th 2008, 12:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shiels View Post
A little bird told me you were coming back in the same sentence as telling me you had gone back to the UK!!!

Do hope it works out for you this time around.

Are the boys happy to be coming back?

I like Elanora too X
Yes it's official we shall be ping ponging poms! We know we didnt give it long enough last time.

I wouldn't say they're happy about it - remember they are Teenagers! They blow hot and cold, but I think coming back didn't turn out quite how they thought it would.

This time instead of giving them too much sympathy, it's going to be a case of Man up boys!!

Mandy x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.