Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone in or going to Christchurch/Ashburton?

Anyone in or going to Christchurch/Ashburton?

Old Sep 26th 2003, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Jackee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone in or going to Christchurch/Ashburton?

We are nearly nearly there (I hope!) If there is anyone either there already or will be there before Christmas please let me know as we are soon to leave all our folks behind as we embark on this adventure ! We will be living in Ashburton, just south - about 1 hr - from Christchurch. I have had really helpful emails from one or two people in the past who are in Christchurch or headed for Darfield - quite close I think. But it was a much fainter prospect then but it's becoming very real now as I have just paid the deposit for the air tickets !(due to fly 25th October via Disneyland) I have never set eyes on NZ before and so nooo idea what to expect - apart from what I've gleaned from this forum. Any contacts would be really appreciated. We are taking our two littlelies to Disney en route. If anyone has a hotel recommendation please let me know. I know I don't ask much do I!
Look forward to hearing from you. Jackee
Old Sep 26th 2003, 6:51 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone in or going to Christchurch/Ashburton?

Originally posted by Jackee
We are nearly nearly there (I hope!) If there is anyone either there already or will be there before Christmas please let me know as we are soon to leave all our folks behind as we embark on this adventure ! We will be living in Ashburton, just south - about 1 hr - from Christchurch. I have had really helpful emails from one or two people in the past who are in Christchurch or headed for Darfield - quite close I think. But it was a much fainter prospect then but it's becoming very real now as I have just paid the deposit for the air tickets !(due to fly 25th October via Disneyland) I have never set eyes on NZ before and so nooo idea what to expect - apart from what I've gleaned from this forum. Any contacts would be really appreciated. We are taking our two littlelies to Disney en route. If anyone has a hotel recommendation please let me know. I know I don't ask much do I!

Hi there,

We live in Kaiapoi just north of Christchurch. We have been here nearly 11months now. We had never visited before either so I know how you feel. If you want to make contact when you get here I will happily PM you my address and phone number.
I can't help you with a hotel recommendation I am afraid, but I hope you have a good time. Its something we should of done taken a holiday en-route as Ian went straight to work 3 days after landing and 11 months on he still hasn't had a holiday, he's really overdue one now.

Paula
Old Sep 26th 2003, 6:56 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we hope to be in Christchurch just after xmas so would love to stay in touch with you
Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Sep 26th 2003, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

All systems go

Jackee, there's a few you could PM if you want to for info, some are already there or I believe know of CChch to offer help.
There's Watt Dabney(has already replied ) then there's Southerner(Blair), PleasanceFamily(Don), garrisondamn, JWW, Deedee,jajpe(shirley), and many more, use the search in this forum textbox and enter "Christchurch" you'll get loads of posts to help.
CChch or Dunedin bound myself.

HTH.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:01 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by sky; Sep 26th 2003 at 9:06 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 9:34 pm
hippychick1966

I returned at the beginning of this month from Christchurch. Headed there as we have friends there and needed a base to secure employment for PR. A good base for touring the South Island but like you we are looking to rent a property outside of the city. Original intention was to sell our house but after visit was not sure of whether we could settle permanently in NZ so have decided to rent our house instead. South Island is absolutely beautiful - it was cold though - bought my first thermal vest which I have never needed in the UK! Great feeling of space there and no traffic jams. All the people I met were extremely friendly and so helpful - nothing is too much trouble. Wages are a lot lower so you do need to have a back up fund. Friends of mine have really been struggling to manage financially and have to work very hard. Basic 40 hour working week with only 3 weeks holiday per year. That was a bit of a shock to me as I get 7 weeks in the UK. It was very family orientated and with 2 children we feel this will be a great place to bring them up. I personally had a real sense of being such a long way from home which is why we are keeping our options open and the children will miss their grandparents. All the English people I met who have moved there love it and wouldn't ever move back to the UK. On the flip side I spoke to NZers who wanted to move to the UK! We too are planning on staying in a hotel when we arrive but haven't sorted anything definite out yet. There are plenty of places to stay but I understand it gets really booked up through the summer. We are still waiting to hear from immigration before we book our flights. Good luck - I hope everything goes well for you.

Old Sep 26th 2003, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
All systems go

Jackee, there's a few you could PM if you want to for info, some are already there or I believe know of CChch to offer help.
There's Watt Dabney(has already replied ) then there's Southerner(Blair), PleasanceFamily(Don), garrisondamn, JWW, Deedee,jajpe(shirley), and many more, use the search in this forum textbox and enter "Christchurch" you'll get loads of posts to help.
CChch or Dunedin bound myself.

HTH.
Yes had some good advice from these people. Shirley is a busy girl and a tad slow replying to pm's, but had a great holiday listening to her experiences. Circumstances lead me to take a fresh/earlier look at our previous timescale.LMS
Old Sep 27th 2003, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the big hint Lee!! You're right I have not had so much time on here recently but with good reason. I'll send you a PM just now to explain!!

Jackee, you are more than welcome to PM me and I will do my best to answer promptly and also if you have any specific questions put them on here and you have a good chance of getting an answer out of some of us!

Also I'm sure you have done this already but if you put Christchurch in the search bit then quite a lot of useful stuff will come up for you! We were hoping to be in Christchurch by Christmas this year but things have not quite gone to plan and it's looking a bit more like Easter at the earliest.

Anyway all the best with your plans and look forward to you getting in touch again!

Last edited by jajpe; Sep 27th 2003 at 10:00 am.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Jackee is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking What a great response !

Hey thanks to all those of you who kindly replied to my plea - I no longer feel like 'Billy no mates' . It makes life a little easier at the moment ( with all those goodbyes to say v. soon) knowing that there are some friendly expats close by. Chris, my husband will start work soon after we arrive. I am giving up work for a while (key reason for going) but it will take some adjusting after v. busy nearly 20 years in schools. Yes I really will be in touch.
Thanks a million -