British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone going to Albert Park for the GP (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-going-albert-park-gp-278231/)

pogsy Jan 17th 2005 9:52 pm

Anyone going to Albert Park for the GP

Just wondering if anyone is going to the 10th Formula One GP in Melbourne.

Rob

Pollyana Jan 17th 2005 10:01 pm

Re: Anyone going to Albert Park for the GP

Originally Posted by pogsy

Rob

Yep, me and The Bloke will be there! :)

Shellfish Jan 18th 2005 12:14 am

Out of the blue hubby has decided he may go and I know the only reason is to see the Grid girls - he has never shown the slightest bit of interest in the GP until my BIL returned last year with pics and stories of scantly clad ladies (no pics of any actual cars, mind you). So I have told him he can go on day 1 (which is free this year, btw) but he isn't spending $80 of my hard earned money when he doesn't even care for the racing :rolleyes: - am I being too harsh?

jodesmc Jan 18th 2005 12:19 am

It's not too harsh, but it is a huge event in melbourne and there is loads to do around this time in the city, I am going again, even though the cars don't do it for me, it's a really good event, and loads of other things going on as well. My boyfriend nearly wet himself when he got his photos taken with the girls, they're pride of place in his office, i keep telling him he's dreaming if he thinks the girls kept the photo of him to put on their wall!!!!! It must be a bloke thing........

Shellfish Jan 18th 2005 12:52 am

You can actually hear the engines of the cars from our place which must be a good 6 or 7 km's from Albert Park so I can imagine that it is probably an amazing experience...I will have to think about it though, you can get some really nice shoes for $80 :p

jodesmc Jan 18th 2005 12:59 am

Originally Posted by Shellfish
You can actually hear the engines of the cars from our place which must be a good 6 or 7 km's from Albert Park so I can imagine that it is probably an amazing experience...I will have to think about it though, you can get some really nice shoes for $80 :p

you can probably get some really nice shoes to wear to the GP, and then you're both happy!!!! You just can't avoid it here if you wanted to, so i work on the principle "if you can't beat em......

steve99 Jan 18th 2005 5:18 am

Originally Posted by pogsy

Rob

Yep im off to it, heading over from Perth for a long weekend (the mondays a public holiday in WA ) Havent been before but I used to go to the Le Mans 24hr race, cant see it quite living up to some of the experiences at that but it should be some fun. Plus everyone keeps telling me the shops are great in Melbourne - that should keep her busy for a while ;)

Fastfunker Jan 18th 2005 10:55 am

I'm a huuuuuuggggeeeeee FI fan. Usually get up to Silverstone for the British GP - that'll be a little tricky this year :D

Trouble is the Australian GP is on the weekend after I start work in Sydney, and not long after we arrive, so not sure if I will make it or not.

What's the TV coverage like? going to miss Martin Brundle and co.....

Pollyana Jan 18th 2005 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Fastfunker
I'm a huuuuuuggggeeeeee FI fan. Usually get up to Silverstone for the British GP - that'll be a little tricky this year :D

Trouble is the Australian GP is on the weekend after I start work in Sydney, and not long after we arrive, so not sure if I will make it or not.

What's the TV coverage like? going to miss Martin Brundle and co.....

Good news is that MOST of the race commentary is direct link to ITV!!! same for all the F1 races - you get the odd (very odd !) word from a couple of Aussies who are not the worlds brightest F1 commentators - but most of the stuff comes from Martin et al. You get coverage of most support races from Melbourne, but the rest of the year you only get the race itself, no Qualifying on TV (reason given is that the Aussie don't like F1, prefering V8s). Oh, and the races aren't always live - except the Mel one - so you can spend a few hours avoiding news bulletins with the result on it!
Still, its better than no coverage at all.

See you in Melbourne, its well worth the effort - this is my 3rd trip.

Polly
(ex-Brighton - left Oct 2003)

Fastfunker Jan 18th 2005 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Good news is that MOST of the race commentary is direct link to ITV!!! same for all the F1 races - you get the odd (very odd !) word from a couple of Aussies who are not the worlds brightest F1 commentators - but most of the stuff comes from Martin et al. You get coverage of most support races from Melbourne, but the rest of the year you only get the race itself, no Qualifying on TV (reason given is that the Aussie don't like F1, prefering V8s). Oh, and the races aren't always live - except the Mel one - so you can spend a few hours avoiding news bulletins with the result on it!
Still, its better than no coverage at all.

See you in Melbourne, its well worth the effort - this is my 3rd trip.

Polly
(ex-Brighton - left Oct 2003)

Result!! Not too bothered about qualifying; it's all gone a bit pear-shaped on that front recently anyway... ;) I guess the races (or at least the European races) would be in the middle of the night if they were live. Still, nothing like watching it whilst it happens.

Will do my best to get down to Melbourne for that weekend. Any advice on ticket outlets, and which grandstand to go for? only ever seen Albert Park on TV.

Whereabouts in Brighton did you live? I'm in Hove (actually :D ); seems the entire population of this city are busily moving down-under currently. Bet you're not missing the weather this time of year!!

Piers.

Lori&Andy Jan 19th 2005 4:53 am

Well I was up for it I really enjoyed it when we were fortunate enough to be in Melbourne for the 2003 GP, I expected other half to agree seeing as he's the big F1 fan but he reckons you can see more of the actual racing on the TV :( - Still gonna try and convince him to tape it and go see the real thing it's a great day or weekend out.

Lori

Pollyana Jan 19th 2005 6:19 am

Hi Piers,
Can't advice on tickets and grandstands I'm afraid - was there marshalling last year (and will be this year); the only time I went to watch I just wandered around and picked various spots to watch from for a while at a time. Its such a lovely circuit its worth wandering around to see as much as you can.

I lived at Fiveways by the way, and worked out at Crowhurst Road. Don;t miss the place at all really, just some of the people - though some of the pubs would be lovely to visit again, I miss the English pub culture! :)

The Bloke Jan 19th 2005 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Fastfunker
Result!! Not too bothered about qualifying; it's all gone a bit pear-shaped on that front recently anyway... ;) I guess the races (or at least the European races) would be in the middle of the night if they were live. Still, nothing like watching it whilst it happens.

Will do my best to get down to Melbourne for that weekend. Any advice on ticket outlets, and which grandstand to go for? only ever seen Albert Park on TV.

Whereabouts in Brighton did you live? I'm in Hove (actually :D ); seems the entire population of this city are busily moving down-under currently. Bet you're not missing the weather this time of year!!

Piers.

Piers,
Have a look at the GP website, it will show you circuit map where the grandstands are and how much they cost and just about everthing else associated both on and off track. Of you want to see the cars overtaking corners and chicanes are the best bet or you can get a stand on the main straight for the start, finish and pit-stops.

Cheers. :)

www.grandprix.com.au

Fastfunker Jan 19th 2005 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi Piers,
Can't advice on tickets and grandstands I'm afraid - was there marshalling last year (and will be this year); the only time I went to watch I just wandered around and picked various spots to watch from for a while at a time. Its such a lovely circuit its worth wandering around to see as much as you can.

I lived at Fiveways by the way, and worked out at Crowhurst Road. Don;t miss the place at all really, just some of the people - though some of the pubs would be lovely to visit again, I miss the English pub culture! :)

Have to see what I can do.... thanks Polly.

Fiveways, eh? Crowhurst Road - big Asda and the Argus offices? I used to live in Patcham so know the area quite well. Moved over to Hove Park area about 2.5 years ago. There are zero good pubs near me anyway, so definitely won't miss that!

Fastfunker Jan 19th 2005 9:33 am

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Piers,
Have a look at the GP website, it will show you circuit map where the grandstands are and how much they cost and just about everthing else associated both on and off track. Of you want to see the cars overtaking corners and chicanes are the best bet or you can get a stand on the main straight for the start, finish and pit-stops.

Cheers. :)

www.grandprix.com.au

Great - good link; I'll check that out. Need a grandstand or my youngest son will start moaning about all the walking like Silverstone last year! :rolleyes: