Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone follow the ASL?

Anyone follow the ASL?

Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:13 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Anyone follow the ASL?

Just wondering if anyone follows the Aussie Soccer (ohhhhh how i hate that word) League?

I miss going to Charlton games.....would love to adopt a team here and go to a few. Adelaide United in my closest.....so i guess it;ll be them!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone follow the ASL?

Originally posted by PeteY
Just wondering if anyone follows the Aussie Soccer (ohhhhh how i hate that word) League?

I miss going to Charlton games.....would love to adopt a team here and go to a few. Adelaide United in my closest.....so i guess it;ll be them!
Be nice for you to watch a team who play decent football then
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:19 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

The standard of "wogball" here is terrible.

Perth is full of sad expats trying to relive their old lives standing in the shed at the Perth Glory matches doing all that "you're shit, aaaargh" chanting.

It makes me wonder why they bothered coming out at all.

Oh, that's right - cheap houses.

You've got two great AFL teams in Adelaide, why not try following something different?
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

ScuntoBris will become famous soon enough

The NSL (National Soccer League) is approaching the end of season (I think), not very well supported though, although I have not been, the crowds in Brisbane are only about 1000-1500.
Old Feb 26th 2004, 11:30 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ScuntoBris
The NSL (National Soccer League) is approaching the end of season (I think), not very well supported though, although I have not been, the crowds in Brisbane are only about 1000-1500.
Get more than that at a Ceri - WBB title fight
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:29 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I will try to follow the Brisbane side when I'm over their.
Think they are cllaed the Strikers.
Dont think it will replace watching Forest though (on the upside I might see a win).

Will try to get into either the AFL or NRL when i'm over their so I can talk sport with the FIL and BIL.

TT

Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I went to games at South Melbourne. (They have predominantly a Greek following as it's a big Greek area so it was always full of old men talking Greek to each other - which I found kind of nice - a bit like the olden days!). The whole thing was a bit more family orientated - and a whole lot cheaper than the UK. NSL is equivalent I reckon to 3rd division.

I'm used to going to Anfield so this was a bit different!! There's not really any atmosphere at NSL - no getting behind the team, no crowd songs, etc. (yes, yes, cue jokes about it sounding like 'Unfilled' of recent times!!!) In one half everyone sat behind one goal, and then all moved up to the other end for the 2nd half!

There were even riots at Sth Mel involving 100+ fans a couple of weeks ago!! eek: