Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown to UK with V Australia/Eithad?

Anyone flown to UK with V Australia/Eithad?

Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone flown to UK with V Australia/Eithad?

Planning return flight to UK for my first trip home in 3 years, and just mooting whether to fly with V Australia/Eithad (VAus seems to link up with Eithad for this route). Has anyone flown this trip and how did the airline rate?

After a horrendous experience with United Airlines to the States a few months ago, I'm a bit wary of venturing away from the big guns, but V seems to offer pretty competitive prices and seems like an okay airline...?

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown to UK with V Australia/Eithad?

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Planning return flight to UK for my first trip home in 3 years, and just mooting whether to fly with V Australia/Eithad (VAus seems to link up with Eithad for this route). Has anyone flown this trip and how did the airline rate?

After a horrendous experience with United Airlines to the States a few months ago, I'm a bit wary of venturing away from the big guns, but V seems to offer pretty competitive prices and seems like an okay airline...?

I have just returned from the UK for a visit and used Etihad. I was very impressed with them. Food was good, seats were comfy (as they can be on a plane), staff were lovely. Nothing bad to say about them at all, and I preferred them to Singapore Airlines.

Don't know about VAus?? I had Qantas for internal flights in Australia and Etihad for the rest. First plane was a A340-600 the second was a Boeing 777-300ER

All flights were on time, even with all the snow in the UK. I flew to/from Manchester
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:14 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

United IS one of the big guns - V isn't!

My OH had a fairly crappy experience with V a few months ago. As they're a small airline with high aircraft utilisation an incident led to a 24 hour delay followed by being put on a charter airline instead...so no idea what flying on V is like!?

The whole thing was handled really badly.
Old Dec 29th 2010, 9:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

V have some kind of code share out of Sydney with Etihad, then just EY from SYD to MAN. I am booked with them for February.

Heard good stuff about them.......so far......
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh, the plot thickens! It could go either way then. Thanks everyone for your replies.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 5:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Shellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to beholdShellyj is a splendid one to behold

Ooh, the plot thickens! It could go either way then. Thanks everyone for your replies.
I found their planes & seats small (after flying on A380) The food was poor, cold spicy kebab on a pizza! And the stewards inattentive, ignoring buzzers, missing rows out serving food etc.

But....

We flew with them during the volcanic ash episode. They flew us into Abu Dhabi then put everyone up in a 5* hotel, all meals provided for 5 days and got us out on the first possible flight as I was pregnant. All that and they didnt have to as they are not an EU airline.
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that should have said a V/Etihad code share from Sydney to Abu Dhabi, then Etihad all the way to Manchester........
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Anyone flown to UK with V Australia/Eithad?

Avoid a stop over in Abu Dabi if you can, its a very 3rd world airport ........ and nothing to do if there for longer than a hour or so ...Flew with Etihad a year or so ago and would not fly with them again due to the airport ..... I find emirates much better in all things
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Anyone flown to UK with V Australia/Eithad?

Avoid a stop over in Abu Dabi if you can, its a very 3rd world airport ........ and nothing to do if there for longer than a hour or so ...Flew with Etihad a year or so ago and would not fly with them again due to the airport ..... I find emirates much better in all things
Old Dec 30th 2010, 8:37 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Shenni
I have already bought my ticket when it was at rock bottom price so have no choice I have no idea how long I will be in Abu Dhabi but hopefully not too long from what you are saying!!

As far as I know Emirates are the best for the baggage allowance 30kgs as opposed to 23kgs on the other stingy airlines ex Australia........
Old Dec 30th 2010, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

golgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nicegolgo13 is just really nice

I would highly recommend the following: Cathay Pacific, Emirates and Japan Airlines. I have flow all three over the four years I have been in OZ on my annual trip back to the UK. Cathay & Emirates are quite reasonable although I have been traveling during peak period Jun - Aug so out of those periods you should be able to get something for under 2000k
Old Dec 30th 2010, 1:52 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

V Australia is awesome!! highly rate it!
Old Dec 31st 2010, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

saintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nicesaintstu is just really nice

Flew into Brisbane from Phuket on V Australia, and thought they were excellent. Paid about $200 at the airport to upgrade to Premium Economy and it was great. Would definitely fly with them again.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

RadarControl is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew Dublin to Sydney return with Etihad in October. Airline was excellent and had no complaints. Etihad normally use an Airbus A340-600 between Sydney and Abu Dhabi. It is 2-4-2 in Economy class.

Yes the airport in Abu Dhabi is not the greatest but since the difference between most arrivals from Asia and departures to Europe is less than 3hrs it is not a major problem. There is free Wi-Fi and Internet Kiosks throughout the airport. A major new terminal opens in 2012.

The agreement between Virgin Blue, V Australia and Etihad is designed to open up Australia to more competition.
From February 2011, Etihad and V Australia, Virgin Blue’s international carrier, will move towards having 27 weekly services between Abu Dhabi and Australia – including double-daily services between Abu Dhabi and Sydney, daily Melbourne-Abu Dhabi flights and six flights per week between Abu Dhabi and Brisbane.

V Australia will operate three Sydney-Abu Dhabi services per week from February 2011 and three Brisbane-Abu Dhabi services per week by February 2012.
If you are a member of Virgin's Velocity program you earn velocity points with Etihad and get all the same benefits. If you are a member of Etihad frequent flyer program you can earn points on any of Virgin Blue, V Australia or Pacific Blue flights.
Old Dec 31st 2010, 8:40 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by saintstu
Flew into Brisbane from Phuket on V Australia, and thought they were excellent. Paid about $200 at the airport to upgrade to Premium Economy and it was great. Would definitely fly with them again.
What's the difference between the two? This sounds interesting though not sure if I will be able to as my ticket is on Etihad paper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.