Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown with Thomsonfly?

Anyone flown with Thomsonfly?

Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:20 am
Just Joined

coljo73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone flown with Thomsonfly?

I am travelling to Sydney on Boxing Day, and (due to leaving it so late), could only get a flight on the ThomsonFly charter.

Just wondered if anyone has been on this flight since they started up in November 05? I did read on another website that it was a 767-400 plane, but not sure if this is the case.

So, anyone flown it yet?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

cat5 will become famous soon enoughcat5 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone flown with Thomsonfly?

Originally Posted by coljo73
I am travelling to Sydney on Boxing Day, and (due to leaving it so late), could only get a flight on the ThomsonFly charter.

Just wondered if anyone has been on this flight since they started up in November 05? I did read on another website that it was a 767-400 plane, but not sure if this is the case.

So, anyone flown it yet?
We're going with them too in a couple of weeks, so would be interested too!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 7:53 am
lpw
Just Joined

lpw is on a distinguished road

I did the Perth-London with Britannia a few years back (same carrier - new name).

Wasn't the most comfortable fight and there were two stops. Food was limited to mealtimes otherwise had to be paid for. Booze all had to be paid for or you can take on your own. Bit like Easyjet long-haul!

Might be better now, I think they're trying a bit harder with the rebrand. Be brave!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:16 am
Just Joined

I found a few threads about the flights a few years ago and they werent that great but i would assume it will be better especially if they are using 767's.

Would be interested to hear from anyone who has flown this route with ThomsonFly since November. I know it probably wont be a great flight, but the prices were very reasonable and we have saved enough money to pay for trips up to Hamilton Island and Melbourne while we are there.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:40 am
Auspom

Auspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant future

So, anyone flown it yet?
My wife and i r on the boxing day flight as well,As far as i no u dont get your own t.v. unless u paid the extra £55 if there's just 2 of you did u pay the extra £10 to be seated together.
I think we r sitting next to the chickens and the Ducks!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Auspom
My wife and i r on the boxing day flight as well,As far as i no u dont get your own t.v. unless u paid the extra £55 if there's just 2 of you did u pay the extra £10 to be seated together.
I think we r sitting next to the chickens and the Ducks!!!!!!!!!!

I think i did pay the extra to be seated together, despite thinking it a bit of a con, because if you are at the check-in early enough you will get seats together easily.

Asked my travel agent if there were any empty seats in the Premium Economy section for Boxing Day and he said "Computer Says no" but you never know , there may be some late cancellations. If so i think i will pay the extra for Premium Economy (Own TV plus extra 6 inches legroom).
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:43 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

So, anyone flown it yet?
You really do pay for what you get airline wise. The way to look at it is they will get you there and its only 24 hours of your life. Economy is pretty much economy no matter which airline.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Centurion
You really do pay for what you get airline wise. The way to look at it is they will get you there and its only 24 hours of your life. Economy is pretty much economy no matter which airline.
Quite agree, we could have paid more to go with a better airline, but with longer stopovers and it would have been 36 hours of travelling. I'd rather just get there quicker, so that we can get over any jet lag in time for New Years Eve.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

angela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the roughangela&rob is a jewel in the rough

My husband flew with them on 1 December through austravel.

The seats are slightly smaller and he stopped in AbuDhabi and Singapore but said it was OK and what did he expect for £149 one way.

So in short, unless you're flying in business/first class with space and a bed, the flight is uncomfortable and boring.

One thing is that they were really strict about baggage allowance and 20kg for his suitcase and 5kg for his hand luggage. Think he got away with 20kg for suitcase but I had to take some of his handluggage back with me so he went on with 6kg.

Enjoy and have a good stretch and walk around on each of the stop overs
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 10:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by angela&rob
My husband flew with them on 1 December through austravel.

The seats are slightly smaller and he stopped in AbuDhabi and Singapore but said it was OK and what did he expect for £149 one way.

So in short, unless you're flying in business/first class with space and a bed, the flight is uncomfortable and boring.

One thing is that they were really strict about baggage allowance and 20kg for his suitcase and 5kg for his hand luggage. Think he got away with 20kg for suitcase but I had to take some of his handluggage back with me so he went on with 6kg.

Enjoy and have a good stretch and walk around on each of the stop overs
Thanks for that. £149!!!! fantastic. We paid £850 each leaving on Boxing Day, which wasnt bad considering the only other offers available were about £1200-£1300 each. Supposedly the seats in Economy are 30 inches. We flew to the Caribbean last year with Virgin and their economy seats were 31 inches so it shouldnt be too bad........i'm just glad i'm only 5'8" tall.

I think the major downside will be not having your own personal screen.

Can anyone tell me the seating layout? is it 2-4-2 or 3-3-3?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

I once flew to Sydney with Airtours (another charter company), and it was absolutely horrendous.

We had a bulkhead behind us so we couldnt recline our seats. The seats were really hard and uncomfortable, there was no legroom, catering consisted of stale sandwiches, and to top it all, you had to BUY your own beer. You also had to buy headphones for the onboard "entertainment"

Charter flights around Europe may be OK if you only have to be stuck on the plane for an hour or two, but 20+ hours?

Luckily we were scheduled to fly back to the UK with Cathay and BA. There was no way on gods earth would we have flown back with Airtours
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:22 pm
Auspom

Auspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant futureAuspom has a brilliant future
Unhappy Re: Anyone flown with Thomsonfly?

Thanks for that. £149!!!! fantastic. We paid £850 each leaving on Boxing Day, which wasnt bad considering the only other offers available were about £1200-£1300 each. Supposedly the seats in Economy are 30 inches. We flew to the Caribbean last year with Virgin and their economy seats were 31 inches so it shouldnt be too bad........i'm just glad i'm only 5'8" tall.

I think the major downside will be not having your own personal screen.

Can anyone tell me the seating layout? is it 2-4-2 or 3-3-3?
Seating is 2-4-2,when did u book your seat's.we booked 4 weeks ago and paid £330. I'm 6'2 sounds like it shall have knees to chin (YEAH)
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Auspom
Seating is 2-4-2,when did u book your seat's.we booked 4 weeks ago and paid £330. I'm 6'2 sounds like it shall have knees to chin (YEAH)

Booked back in August/September, didnt want to miss out.......£330!!!!, thanks for ruining my day. LOL
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:45 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

So, anyone flown it yet?
I've heard that the most expensive part on their aircraft is the rubber band. Does this mean anything to anyone?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:47 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

We went to Cyprus with them this year, paid an extra £20 each for premium economy. Best £20 I've ever spent, 6 more inches leg room made a lot of difference.
Didn't know they went to Oz or I would have looked into it.

Kevin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.