Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Old Sep 7th 2007, 6:47 pm
  #16  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Ashgrove, Brisbane
Posts: 206
kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Originally Posted by Ruthyman View Post
we have just finished a trip on emirates economy with stopovers in both dubai and bangkok with a 6 yr old and 1 yr old. You could fork out for business or first but the problem isnt the trip itself (will your little ones even sleep????) but recovering from the trips.
This time round absolutely no probs with jet lag for any of us.
Previously 3 weeks jet lag for our then 3 yr old
Id rather stay up all night in the plane and have a 5 star hotel with laundry, baby sitting, pools and spa facilities at each stop! We got very cheap deals online plus the kids experienced some fantastic moments.
Our deals included free airport transfer, early check in, late check out.
I would also recommend apartments over hotels when you have kids (kitchen, microwave, washing machine etc).
Another tip-expect to stay up all night on the plane (just in case), as theres nothing worse than just drifiting off when.....whahhhhh
Thanks for advice, I think I was just starting to panic about the whole plane journey! Going to go for ecomony with stopovers, makes more sense!

Many Thanks,
Keri
kerikerr is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:29 pm
  #17  
NO ADDED SUGAR
 
I_Will_Freckle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Center Parcs, WA
Posts: 1,322
I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

I have to agree that economy with stopovers is the best solution. Last year, we flew Glasgow-Dubai-Perth with no stopover but the flights were timed perfectly so that my son settled down himself on the second leg and fell asleep (at approx 10pm UK time). We returned from Auckland and did stopover in Dubai and we really needed it after such a long flight.

In short, my advice is to try and get flights that depart near to a time for your kids bedtime so they will sleep most of the way.
I_Will_Freckle is offline  
Old Sep 7th 2007, 7:37 pm
  #18  
BE Enthusiast
 
kitty4's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: QLD
Posts: 797
kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

I don't know about other airlines but BA don't allow children under 12 in first class. Business they do. My husband worked for them, so it is reliable info. I remember a couple in first class who had their 2 young kids (under 12 but not sure of ages exactly) in economy, hoping that once they were on the plane, they could get their kids up to share their first class seats but were refused by the cabin crew who asked them to go down the back and look after their kids - they didn't. I was shocked that the parents would consider not sitting with their kids for the sake of their own comfort.
However, what I really mean to say is that first class isn't worth all that extra money for less than 24 hours. Would rather spend the money on something else.
kitty4 is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:23 am
  #19  
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Wol's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 9,397
Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Originally Posted by kitty4 View Post
I don't know about other airlines but BA don't allow children under 12 in first class. Business they do. My husband worked for them, so it is reliable info. I remember a couple in first class who had their 2 young kids (under 12 but not sure of ages exactly) in economy, hoping that once they were on the plane, they could get their kids up to share their first class seats but were refused by the cabin crew who asked them to go down the back and look after their kids - they didn't. I was shocked that the parents would consider not sitting with their kids for the sake of their own comfort.
However, what I really mean to say is that first class isn't worth all that extra money for less than 24 hours. Would rather spend the money on something else.
I think you'll find that full fare first class passngers don't have any lower age limit (unless things have changed recently).
Wol is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:33 am
  #20  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,994
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Originally Posted by Wol View Post
I think you'll find that full fare first class passngers don't have any lower age limit (unless things have changed recently).
Correct.........i'm sure if you go to ba.com it will let you book kids and infants into First. This may have been a rule for BA staff travel though......and I dont think families with kids would normally get an upgrade into First.
bcworld is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 11:49 am
  #21  
Gone Senile Member
 
Sandra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,014
Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Have recently flown to and from UK with BA business - no kids with me I absolutely refused to fly this airline economy.

It was lovely lie down beds etc and well worth letting the company pay. I agree with everyone else view - fly economy with the kids, I have for the past 17 years.There is plenty for them to do and you will be less stressed than buisness. Why? they do table service with glasses and everything is gentile and laid back - sounds nice but you will be a frazzle worried they will be bounding about - even if they are not.

The service provided in economy on Singpaore, Emirates, Thai is absolutely wonderful.

Save your pennies spend it on hotels and fun in between or later (do the whole 24 hrs straight).

One thing - save some money for a day when you want to travel back just you and hubby and do it business for yourselves. Much better to lie back then drink it in and enjoy.

oh - my daughter flew with my dad, her Grandfather, on a trip to Canada from Sydney QF/BA at about 12 years of age. He flies first or business with work - she is back in economy (she has also flown alone many times). First trip out the crew would not even let her visit Dad even though he was only one of four people in the cabin. On the way back they upgraded her - she now wants to only ever fly business - she better get a good job then!

Enjoy your trip - your kids will
Sandra is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 12:21 pm
  #22  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Ashgrove, Brisbane
Posts: 206
kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Originally Posted by Sandra View Post
Have recently flown to and from UK with BA business - no kids with me I absolutely refused to fly this airline economy.

It was lovely lie down beds etc and well worth letting the company pay. I agree with everyone else view - fly economy with the kids, I have for the past 17 years.There is plenty for them to do and you will be less stressed than buisness. Why? they do table service with glasses and everything is gentile and laid back - sounds nice but you will be a frazzle worried they will be bounding about - even if they are not.

The service provided in economy on Singpaore, Emirates, Thai is absolutely wonderful.

Save your pennies spend it on hotels and fun in between or later (do the whole 24 hrs straight).

One thing - save some money for a day when you want to travel back just you and hubby and do it business for yourselves. Much better to lie back then drink it in and enjoy.

oh - my daughter flew with my dad, her Grandfather, on a trip to Canada from Sydney QF/BA at about 12 years of age. He flies first or business with work - she is back in economy (she has also flown alone many times). First trip out the crew would not even let her visit Dad even though he was only one of four people in the cabin. On the way back they upgraded her - she now wants to only ever fly business - she better get a good job then!

Enjoy your trip - your kids will
Thanks Sandra, like the sound of singapore airlines, so think we will be booking economy with them! Haven't decided yet whether to go straight through or stop-over!

Many Thanks,

Keri
kerikerr is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:18 pm
  #23  
Potton to the Gold Coast
 
Rob Morton-Jone's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,211
Rob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to beholdRob Morton-Jone is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

It is less stressful flying Business/First but the cost can be quite high.

We use our air miles to fly business so it keeps the cost down but it if you can afford the extra cost then it is a god send to fly business/first especially with children



Originally Posted by kerikerr View Post
Has anyone flown first or business class with small children(mine are 5yr, 3yr and 1yr). Thinking of treating ourselves instead of having a few days stop over just going for it but instyle Thinking it might be less stressful than being crammed in economy especially as we'll have the smallest one on our knee!!

Any recommendations re: airlines etc would be appreciated!!!!

Cheers,
Keri
Rob Morton-Jone is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:37 pm
  #24  
BE Enthusiast
 
MartinH's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 532
MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

To be honest I love flying busines class - its a very pleasent experience.

We are on a fact finding mission to Sydney in a few weeks and have booked business. Admitedly I am not paying - but I think it makes a special trip even more special.
MartinH is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:38 pm
  #25  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 31
Halo has a spectacular aura aboutHalo has a spectacular aura aboutHalo has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Originally Posted by kerikerr View Post
Has anyone flown first or business class with small children(mine are 5yr, 3yr and 1yr). Thinking of treating ourselves instead of having a few days stop over just going for it but instyle Thinking it might be less stressful than being crammed in economy especially as we'll have the smallest one on our knee!!

Any recommendations re: airlines etc would be appreciated!!!!

Cheers,
Keri
We have flown business class with Malaysian when our DDs were aged 4 and 2 without stop-overs and economy with BA with stopovers with our (by now) 3 children aged 1, 4 and 6. Economy BA was less stressful because the seating layout was more conducive to families - and the stopovers were very good. If you fly BA you can prebook bassinette (bulkhead) seats which make a huge difference. If your 1 yr old will turn 2 before your flight, start the trip with a weekend in London before (s)he turns 2, then you can get him/her a free seat for the onward flights (i.e. you only pay for him as a lap passenger - 10% cost).

Aside from BA the following airlines are good for young families;-
Gulf Air - has Sky Nannies on their flights.
Singapore - just great service, and depending on when you go the new A380.
Thai or Malaysian - more room in economy.
Cathay Pacific - rolling out new economy seats which offer more space.

Happy planning.

Halo is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:48 pm
  #26  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,424
JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Originally Posted by Rob Morton-Jone View Post
It is less stressful flying Business/First but the cost can be quite high.

We use our air miles to fly business so it keeps the cost down but it if you can afford the extra cost then it is a god send to fly business/first especially with children
You could of course pay for an extra seat and take car seat so you don't have to have little one on your lap for the whole flight. See if you can get bulk head seats - bit more leg room.

It was something me and hubby have both talked about in passing with our 3 kids but to be honest if the kids aren't going to sleep or they're going to be upset there's little chance that by having a posh seat to sit or lay in that it will really make that much difference.
We went to Florida 2 years ago and my then 7 and 5 yr old managed to sleep in the uncomfy economy seats when they got tired, they were more bothered about having strangers sleeping near them.

We were thinkign of doing a stop over but there's no guaruntee that teh kids will sleep even if we do book a swanky hotel to stay in, they may have goen to sleep on the plane and had a good nap and not want to sleep at all and just bounce on the beds or get arsey. So we'll do the fligth straight through and book somewhere really nice for when we get to Melbourne.
JenJen is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 1:53 pm
  #27  
Gone Senile Member
 
Sandra's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2001
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,014
Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Originally Posted by Halo View Post
We have flown business class with Malaysian when our DDs were aged 4 and 2 without stop-overs and economy with BA with stopovers with our (by now) 3 children aged 1, 4 and 6. Economy BA was less stressful because the seating layout was more conducive to families - and the stopovers were very good. If you fly BA you can prebook bassinette (bulkhead) seats which make a huge difference. If your 1 yr old will turn 2 before your flight, start the trip with a weekend in London before (s)he turns 2, then you can get him/her a free seat for the onward flights (i.e. you only pay for him as a lap passenger - 10% cost).

Aside from BA the following airlines are good for young families;-
Gulf Air - has Sky Nannies on their flights.
Singapore - just great service, and depending on when you go the new A380.
Thai or Malaysian - more room in economy.
Cathay Pacific - rolling out new economy seats which offer more space.

Happy planning.

Good information, I forgot about Cathay and Gulf which I have flown with as well economy with kids and sent them unaccompanied.
Sandra is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:04 pm
  #28  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: A land far far away
Posts: 1,149
Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Originally Posted by kerikerr View Post
Has anyone flown first or business class with small children(mine are 5yr, 3yr and 1yr). Thinking of treating ourselves instead of having a few days stop over just going for it but instyle Thinking it might be less stressful than being crammed in economy especially as we'll have the smallest one on our knee!!

Any recommendations re: airlines etc would be appreciated!!!!

Cheers,
Keri

Yes we did on the way from London to Perth. At the time our eldest was 17 mts, and I was 27 weeks pregnant. Loved every minute, but that's because we all slept. 10pm Qantas flight ex-London, we all awoke about 10 hours later, in time for breakfast before landing in Singapore. It was a new cabin design which the crew said was better than First Class in terms of space. No complaints from us, the bed thing did it.
Wave the Sails is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 2:08 pm
  #29  
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 2,474
username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

we fly Virgin Upper Class with the kids (thankgod for frequent flyer miles!) and its no problem (mine are 3 and 4). we do it every 8 months to the UK and back and have never upset any pther passengers that we know about.

If I was looking at it from your perspective though I'd fly Premium Economy in Virgin (so its a bit more comfy than Economy) and pocket the rest to go towards your house or your new car or whatever.
username 34 is offline  
Old Sep 8th 2007, 10:55 pm
  #30  
Frequent Flyer Member
 
bcworld's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,994
bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Originally Posted by kerikerr View Post
Thanks Sandra, like the sound of singapore airlines, so think we will be booking economy with them! Haven't decided yet whether to go straight through or stop-over!

Many Thanks,

Keri
Hi Keri,

If you're going to go Singapore Airlines (or Thai) can I recommend that you sign up for the bmi british midland frequent flyer programme first and credit the miles to that. Admittedly I used to travel a lot for work and the miles added up fast but they have a great programme where you can get yourself business (or first!) flights for a combination of miles and money on their airline partners. If you can get to 37500miles you'd have enough for a one way back to Blighty in business so at least you could give it a try!

B
bcworld is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.