Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice
Default Anyone flown first/business class with small children

Has anyone flown first or business class with small children(mine are 5yr, 3yr and 1yr). Thinking of treating ourselves instead of having a few days stop over just going for it but instyle Thinking it might be less stressful than being crammed in economy especially as we'll have the smallest one on our knee!!

Any recommendations re: airlines etc would be appreciated!!!!

Cheers,
Keri
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children

more money than sense.

Quantas, Singapore, Cathay, Emirates take your pick ....

Some frequent flyers on here, are real experts.

Should be able to give you dimensions, of the seats, reclinability and leg room.

Whether you will sleep with 3 kids I am not sure, but at least they will be able to annoy all the business passengers.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

tchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nicetchouk is just really nice

Hello

We first came here with 3 kids aged 1, 3 and 5. We flew with Singapore airlines and they were fantastic. We booked seats with a cot which meant we could put little down and let her sleep. The 2 older ones sat and watched the movies and played the games on the little monitors provided, for free! That was in 2005 and we have done the journey to UK and back 5 times... each time has been OK in economy as long as you book seats and food! Cathay Pacific and Qantas also very good.

We have also found that with 3 kids we have been given extra seats where available ie. we have had 2 rows of 4 between us!!

Best of Luck !
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:13 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind that the extra cash you are going to spend for 4 seats in business vs 4 seats in economy is going to be MUCH, MUCH more than the cost of any normal stopover.

One suggestion would be to take Oasis Hong Kong airlines from Gatwick to Hong Kong....one way business fare is 470pounds+tax. Stop in Hong Kong for the day/night then get try and find a cheapo one way onward to whichever your Australia destination is....at least you will have done the longest leg in business.

http://www.oasishongkong.com/

If money is no object then get yourself on any of the major airlines, BA, QF, Singapore, Thai, Etihad etc. Singapore would be my preference. I'd avoid Emirates in business because they have very few aircraft with lie flat beds in business....the rest of em pretty much guarantee it.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice

Originally Posted by on a mission View Post
more money than sense.

Quantas, Singapore, Cathay, Emirates take your pick ....

Some frequent flyers on here, are real experts.

Should be able to give you dimensions, of the seats, reclinability and leg room.

Whether you will sleep with 3 kids I am not sure, but at least they will be able to annoy all the business passengers.
It is most definately not a case of more money than sense, it is a case of trying to find the least stressful way of getting there with 3 children!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:37 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld View Post
Bear in mind that the extra cash you are going to spend for 4 seats in business vs 4 seats in economy is going to be MUCH, MUCH more than the cost of any normal stopover.

One suggestion would be to take Oasis Hong Kong airlines from Gatwick to Hong Kong....one way business fare is 470pounds+tax. Stop in Hong Kong for the day/night then get try and find a cheapo one way onward to whichever your Australia destination is....at least you will have done the longest leg in business.

http://www.oasishongkong.com/

If money is no object then get yourself on any of the major airlines, BA, QF, Singapore, Thai, Etihad etc. Singapore would be my preference. I'd avoid Emirates in business because they have very few aircraft with lie flat beds in business....the rest of em pretty much guarantee it.
We flew business with Emirates last year. Excellent experience. Beds weren't flat but very nearly so and extremely comfortable.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:37 am
done and dusted

maverik1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kerikerr View Post
It is most definately not a case of more money than sense, it is a case of trying to find the least stressful way of getting there with 3 children!
we looked into it, but to be honest i would rather be a bit more stressed for 24 hours, than fork out an extra £3000, i looked at what i would rather do with that money, and thought, hmm 24 hours inconvenience, or a car for my wife, made my mind up anyway
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:48 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'd tend to agree...my advice would be stick with economy, do the stopover and make sure both your flights are night flights.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by maverik1979 View Post
we looked into it, but to be honest i would rather be a bit more stressed for 24 hours, than fork out an extra £3000, i looked at what i would rather do with that money, and thought, hmm 24 hours inconvenience, or a car for my wife, made my mind up anyway
That's funny, that's exactly what my husband said

Your all probably right, it is a lot of money, think will just stop over
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kerikerr View Post

Greenock, thats a place thats full of stress, know it well, especially that little very to Dunoon.

No seriously if you can get bus flights at the right price, do it, but I think with small kids, you wont see much difference in Business class, for the $$$ you pay, I'd say spend the cash on recuperating on the other end....

put it towards something else, it just isnt worth it for the 30 hours of travelling.

5 people on economy Emirates = £2800
Business= £5300

£2500 in your pocket to do as you please...
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

Greenock, thats a place thats full of stress, know it well, especially that little very to Dunoon.

No seriously if you can get bus flights at the right price, do it, but I think with small kids, you wont see much difference in Business class, for the $$$ you pay, I'd say spend the cash on recuperating on the other end....

put it towards something else, it just isnt worth it for the 30 hours of travelling.

5 people on economy Emirates = £2800
Business= £5300

£2500 in your pocket to do as you please...
I know your right!! Greenock is certainly full of stresses and hence why we're getting the hell out!! Dunoon is a nice wee place, friend has a caravan over there and we spent quite a lot of time there over the summer! 5 kids under the age of 5, 2 adults in a small caravan, now there's STRESS!!!!!

Cheers,
Keri
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Stayed in Greenock, when working in Port Glasgow,

Wetherspoons is a good crack!!!!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Stayed in Greenock, when working in Port Glasgow,

Wetherspoons is a good crack!!!!!!!
Now Port Glasgow is a national treasure, didn't you think
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh yes indeed, the home of the two headed dog!!!!!
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

we have just finished a trip on emirates economy with stopovers in both dubai and bangkok with a 6 yr old and 1 yr old. You could fork out for business or first but the problem isnt the trip itself (will your little ones even sleep????) but recovering from the trips.
This time round absolutely no probs with jet lag for any of us.
Previously 3 weeks jet lag for our then 3 yr old
Id rather stay up all night in the plane and have a 5 star hotel with laundry, baby sitting, pools and spa facilities at each stop! We got very cheap deals online plus the kids experienced some fantastic moments.
Our deals included free airport transfer, early check in, late check out.
I would also recommend apartments over hotels when you have kids (kitchen, microwave, washing machine etc).
Another tip-expect to stay up all night on the plane (just in case), as theres nothing worse than just drifiting off when.....whahhhhh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.