British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone flown first/business class with small children (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-flown-first-business-class-small-children-479107/)

kerikerr Sep 5th 2007 10:29 am

Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 
Has anyone flown first or business class with small children(mine are 5yr, 3yr and 1yr). Thinking of treating ourselves instead of having a few days stop over just going for it but instyle:p Thinking it might be less stressful than being crammed in economy especially as we'll have the smallest one on our knee!!

Any recommendations re: airlines etc would be appreciated!!!!

Cheers,
Keri

on a mission Sep 5th 2007 10:41 am

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 
more money than sense.

Quantas, Singapore, Cathay, Emirates take your pick ....

Some frequent flyers on here, are real experts.

Should be able to give you dimensions, of the seats, reclinability and leg room.

Whether you will sleep with 3 kids I am not sure, but at least they will be able to annoy all the business passengers.

tchouk Sep 5th 2007 10:46 am

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 
Hello

We first came here with 3 kids aged 1, 3 and 5. We flew with Singapore airlines and they were fantastic. We booked seats with a cot which meant we could put little down and let her sleep. The 2 older ones sat and watched the movies and played the games on the little monitors provided, for free! That was in 2005 and we have done the journey to UK and back 5 times... each time has been OK in economy as long as you book seats and food! Cathay Pacific and Qantas also very good.

We have also found that with 3 kids we have been given extra seats where available ie. we have had 2 rows of 4 between us!!

Best of Luck !

bcworld Sep 5th 2007 11:13 am

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 
Bear in mind that the extra cash you are going to spend for 4 seats in business vs 4 seats in economy is going to be MUCH, MUCH more than the cost of any normal stopover.

One suggestion would be to take Oasis Hong Kong airlines from Gatwick to Hong Kong....one way business fare is 470pounds+tax. Stop in Hong Kong for the day/night then get try and find a cheapo one way onward to whichever your Australia destination is....at least you will have done the longest leg in business.

http://www.oasishongkong.com/

If money is no object then get yourself on any of the major airlines, BA, QF, Singapore, Thai, Etihad etc. Singapore would be my preference. I'd avoid Emirates in business because they have very few aircraft with lie flat beds in business....the rest of em pretty much guarantee it.

kerikerr Sep 5th 2007 11:33 am

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 

Originally Posted by on a mission (Post 5275747)
more money than sense.

Quantas, Singapore, Cathay, Emirates take your pick ....

Some frequent flyers on here, are real experts.

Should be able to give you dimensions, of the seats, reclinability and leg room.

Whether you will sleep with 3 kids I am not sure, but at least they will be able to annoy all the business passengers.

It is most definately not a case of more money than sense, it is a case of trying to find the least stressful way of getting there with 3 children!

SunshineGirl Sep 5th 2007 11:37 am

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 5275841)
Bear in mind that the extra cash you are going to spend for 4 seats in business vs 4 seats in economy is going to be MUCH, MUCH more than the cost of any normal stopover.

One suggestion would be to take Oasis Hong Kong airlines from Gatwick to Hong Kong....one way business fare is 470pounds+tax. Stop in Hong Kong for the day/night then get try and find a cheapo one way onward to whichever your Australia destination is....at least you will have done the longest leg in business.

http://www.oasishongkong.com/

If money is no object then get yourself on any of the major airlines, BA, QF, Singapore, Thai, Etihad etc. Singapore would be my preference. I'd avoid Emirates in business because they have very few aircraft with lie flat beds in business....the rest of em pretty much guarantee it.

We flew business with Emirates last year. Excellent experience. Beds weren't flat but very nearly so and extremely comfortable.

maverik1979 Sep 5th 2007 11:37 am

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 

Originally Posted by kerikerr (Post 5275904)
It is most definately not a case of more money than sense, it is a case of trying to find the least stressful way of getting there with 3 children!

we looked into it, but to be honest i would rather be a bit more stressed for 24 hours, than fork out an extra £3000, i looked at what i would rather do with that money, and thought, hmm 24 hours inconvenience, or a car for my wife, made my mind up anyway ;)

bcworld Sep 5th 2007 11:48 am

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 
I'd tend to agree...my advice would be stick with economy, do the stopover and make sure both your flights are night flights.

kerikerr Sep 5th 2007 11:51 am

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 

Originally Posted by maverik1979 (Post 5275918)
we looked into it, but to be honest i would rather be a bit more stressed for 24 hours, than fork out an extra £3000, i looked at what i would rather do with that money, and thought, hmm 24 hours inconvenience, or a car for my wife, made my mind up anyway ;)

That's funny, that's exactly what my husband said:D

Your all probably right, it is a lot of money, think will just stop over:o

on a mission Sep 5th 2007 12:17 pm

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 

Originally Posted by kerikerr (Post 5275904)
It is most definately not a case of more money than sense, it is a case of trying to find the least stressful way of getting there with 3 children!


Greenock, thats a place thats full of stress, know it well, especially that little very to Dunoon.

No seriously if you can get bus flights at the right price, do it, but I think with small kids, you wont see much difference in Business class, for the $$$ you pay, I'd say spend the cash on recuperating on the other end....

put it towards something else, it just isnt worth it for the 30 hours of travelling.

5 people on economy Emirates = £2800
Business= £5300

£2500 in your pocket to do as you please...

kerikerr Sep 5th 2007 12:32 pm

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 

Originally Posted by on a mission (Post 5276006)
Greenock, thats a place thats full of stress, know it well, especially that little very to Dunoon.

No seriously if you can get bus flights at the right price, do it, but I think with small kids, you wont see much difference in Business class, for the $$$ you pay, I'd say spend the cash on recuperating on the other end....

put it towards something else, it just isnt worth it for the 30 hours of travelling.

5 people on economy Emirates = £2800
Business= £5300

£2500 in your pocket to do as you please...

I know your right!! Greenock is certainly full of stresses and hence why we're getting the hell out!! Dunoon is a nice wee place, friend has a caravan over there and we spent quite a lot of time there over the summer! 5 kids under the age of 5, 2 adults in a small caravan, now there's STRESS!!!!!

Cheers,
Keri

on a mission Sep 5th 2007 12:45 pm

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 
Stayed in Greenock, when working in Port Glasgow,

Wetherspoons is a good crack!!!!!!!

kerikerr Sep 5th 2007 12:51 pm

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 

Originally Posted by on a mission (Post 5276093)
Stayed in Greenock, when working in Port Glasgow,

Wetherspoons is a good crack!!!!!!!

Now Port Glasgow is a national treasure, didn't you think:rofl::rofl::rofl:

on a mission Sep 5th 2007 1:05 pm

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 
Oh yes indeed, the home of the two headed dog!!!!!

Ruthyman Sep 7th 2007 6:55 pm

Re: Anyone flown first/business class with small children
 
we have just finished a trip on emirates economy with stopovers in both dubai and bangkok with a 6 yr old and 1 yr old. You could fork out for business or first but the problem isnt the trip itself (will your little ones even sleep????) but recovering from the trips.
This time round absolutely no probs with jet lag for any of us.
Previously 3 weeks jet lag for our then 3 yr old:lol:
Id rather stay up all night in the plane and have a 5 star hotel with laundry, baby sitting, pools and spa facilities at each stop! We got very cheap deals online plus the kids experienced some fantastic moments.
Our deals included free airport transfer, early check in, late check out.
I would also recommend apartments over hotels when you have kids (kitchen, microwave, washing machine etc).
Another tip-expect to stay up all night on the plane (just in case), as theres nothing worse than just drifiting off when.....whahhhhh:p


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.