Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ANYONE FLOWN CATHAY PACIFIC - EXCESS BAGGAGE

ANYONE FLOWN CATHAY PACIFIC - EXCESS BAGGAGE

Old May 16th 2008, 9:35 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all
Default ANYONE FLOWN CATHAY PACIFIC - EXCESS BAGGAGE

Hi Just wondered if anyone had recently flown with Cathay, and if they were over on the baggage allowance? Were they strict and made you cough up the extra money or did you get away with it?

Flying out on 10 June Manchester/Heathrow/Hong Kong/Sydney - Looks like I'm going to be over my 60 Kg (3 of us) allowance, and they want £35 per additional kilo. Not sure yet how much over I am going to be so just wondered if they stuck to the rules or were generous! Also, anyone know the best and cheapest way to get excess over to Sydney without having to wait months, ie get it flown over?

Hope someone can help.
Old May 26th 2008, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all
Default Re: ANYONE FLOWN CATHAY PACIFIC - EXCESS BAGGAGE

Originally Posted by Blossom
Hi Just wondered if anyone had recently flown with Cathay, and if they were over on the baggage allowance? Were they strict and made you cough up the extra money or did you get away with it?

Flying out on 10 June Manchester/Heathrow/Hong Kong/Sydney - Looks like I'm going to be over my 60 Kg (3 of us) allowance, and they want £35 per additional kilo. Not sure yet how much over I am going to be so just wondered if they stuck to the rules or were generous! Also, anyone know the best and cheapest way to get excess over to Sydney without having to wait months, ie get it flown over?

Hope someone can help.
Hey Blossom,
Can't help you there but just wanted to say that we are also flying from (Dublin)-Heathrow-HK-Sydney with Cathay on June 10th.
We are staying in Asia for 5 weeks tho so won't actually arrive into Syd until the middle of July. So maybe we will see ya on the plane.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant futureMOONLIGHT has a brilliant future

Hope someone can help.
Hi
We flew over with Cathay Pacific this year and we were over our baggage allowance by 2 or 3 kilo's each (4 of us travelling) they just said we didn't have any room to shop in Hong Kong!
Old May 26th 2008, 12:17 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

We flew Cathay - were let off about 15kg at Heathrow, but got done in Hong Kong on the next leg.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

kevscotoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hope someone can help.
Hi Cathy, we r flying glasgow/heathrow,hong kong/ adelaide 5th June. We phoned Cathy Pacific to ask about luggage allowance & were told strictly 20kgs £35 per kilo extra. Dont know if you would get away with more we have always used emirates & theyve always allowed us a few kilos extra at no charge. Dont forget you get 7kgs each hand baggage too - & as they dont weigh your handbag I usually take a large handbag & fill it chock a block with heavyish stuff -just means u have to lug it around
Old May 26th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Is it still one piece of hand luggage or can you take a handbag plus another bag?
Old May 27th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We stuggled to fit our whole life into 20kg each and a piece of hand luggage (I did have a handbag too, and we had a laptop bag too). When we landed in Hong Kong a nice man there told us that they give people a few extra kg when you leave Hong Kong as there is so much to buy. We were a bit p'd off as we left loads of stuff behind that we would have loved to have bought with us.
Old May 27th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

When we came we were way over our allowance. They gave us 30kg each and then charged us excess baggage on the rest. BUT they also suggested we use Excess Baggage at Heathrow as they would be cheaper and it would only take about a week.
We ended up with about 120kg between the four of us and it cost us £350 in Dec 2006 to take it all with us -- DH's work were paying as part of our relocation package......
Old May 27th 2008, 10:48 am
Just Joined

jaynelh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - my boyfriend flew out Friday evening with Cathay (I am flying out at end of June due to work), going to Hong Kong first for a few days on business then final destination Sydney on 457 visa, and he took 49 KG for economy class.

He had to get this down to 32kg (which was a bit stressful) but did not get charged any extra. Also took wheelie suitcase and computer bag for carry on and all was ok.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:29 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Just to update you all:

Homewardbound was well over so we sent 32kg by personalporter - door to door which was great.

3 of them were still over on their luggage and even more overloaded with their handluggage, but they got away with it. I would say they were only a couple of kilos each over on their luggage, but their hand luggage must have weighed double the allowance! I was at the ready with my credit card, but fortunately didn't need to use it.

Blossom
Old Jun 11th 2008, 9:27 am
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

I flew with them and was 24.5 kilos. Off the record, they told me they usually allow up to 25kg but once you hit 25 they hit you for the lot. I can't guarantee it works everytime. If the flight is full and you are one of last to check in they will probably charge you. My advice is take less than 25 kilos and get there early and you should avoid being charged, fingers crossed
Old Jun 16th 2008, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all
Smile Re: ANYONE FLOWN CATHAY PACIFIC - EXCESS BAGGAGE

Just to update you all:

Homewardbound was well over so we sent 32kg by personalporter - door to door which was great.

3 of them were still over on their luggage and even more overloaded with their handluggage, but they got away with it. I would say they were only a couple of kilos each over on their luggage, but their hand luggage must have weighed double the allowance! I was at the ready with my credit card, but fortunately didn't need to use it.

Blossom
Hey Blossom,
Glad to hear you made it safe. I was looking out for you on the flight. We were within the limits for the baggage but it had become too much for us to carry(we are backpacking fo 6 weeks) so when I reached Thailand I sent a load of stuff on to a friend in Sydney. It was so cheap - only 50 euro for over 15kgs. Able to walk properly now.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

shoggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just new to the forum and I'm flying next Thursday DUB-LHR-HGK-SYD with Aer Lingus and Cathay Pacific, my luggage is roughly about 25kilos an I'm pretty scared that they are going to charge a lot of the excess. Has anyone travelled with Cathay recently and what are they like with excess baggage??

Many Thanks

Shoggy
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

LiseM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Is it still one piece of hand luggage or can you take a handbag plus another bag?
I flew on Cathay in April & May this year & got away with taking my laptop bag (it was heavy I might add!) plus my regular handbag as hand luggage on board.........then there's duty free
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

I know I have posted this information before however...
If you are keen to get a big baggage allowance then Moving Planet have an offer where yo get 50kg each!
And I quote....
" we currently have a promotion running with www.movingplanet.net which gives you an entitlement of 30kgs extra baggage allowance, that's 50kgs in total.

You can access details of the offer by logging in as a member on the Moving Planet website, however this is subject to various controls:

• It is valid for UK departing passengers holding British passports only.
• The passenger must hold a valid migration visa stating over 1 year stay.
• It is not valid if you have a stopover (exit the airport) in Dubai or anywhere else on the way.
• Tickets must be one-way (no return date or open returns).
• You must NOT have entered the country on the visa already. "

This looks like it is not just for permanent Visas.
HKA
x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.