Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Flown Air Mauritius?

Anyone Flown Air Mauritius?

Old May 30th 2006, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

AnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really nice
Default Anyone Flown Air Mauritius?

Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone can offer their opinion on this airline. They have ridiculous deals on at the moment - $2k for a business class flight from Oz to the UK - and I would like to know if it's too good to be true!

We flew with Lufthansa last year and I would never ever get on a plane with them again as they were just awful. We also have a bub now who will be about 5 months old when we plan to travel so we were hoping to get a bit more room in business class.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,

Em.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Flown Air Mauritius?

Originally Posted by AnalOwl
Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone can offer their opinion on this airline. They have ridiculous deals on at the moment - $2k for a business class flight from Oz to the UK - and I would like to know if it's too good to be true!

We flew with Lufthansa last year and I would never ever get on a plane with them again as they were just awful. We also have a bub now who will be about 5 months old when we plan to travel so we were hoping to get a bit more room in business class.

Thanks,

Em.
I've been looking at flights from Perth to South Africa recently & AM are the cheapest. The travel agent at Flight Centre said that they were not very good & that the plane they use from Mauritius to Perth is a really old Boeing 767. There is also only one flight a week. Might be a good idea if you want a stopover in Mauritius which by all accounts is a nice place.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I should think it's a case of you get what you pay for and if all you want is to get here as cheaply as possible and you are not too fussed, after all it is only 20 odd hours which in the grand scheme of things is not long, then go for it.
Old May 30th 2006, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

AnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really niceAnalOwl is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I should think it's a case of you get what you pay for and if all you want is to get here as cheaply as possible and you are not too fussed, after all it is only 20 odd hours which in the grand scheme of things is not long, then go for it.

20 odd hours with a baby stuck on a plane not long - are you quite well?

Obviously, I'd like to be able to buy a nice uber-expensive skybed and not worry about it but funds simply won't allow it I'm afraid so we'll have to find an alternative. i am well aware that airlines like Singapore are going to be the best but was just interested to hear from people who've done it.

Thanks Amazulu, I also heard that the plane was pretty aged but all the reviews I can find are generally positive apart from that criticism and when we checked out Singapore's Business Class section last year (selling for a cool $18k) they looked pretty shoddy to be perfectly honest!
Old May 30th 2006, 1:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that if you think Lufthansa and Singapore are not good enough, you will be even more disappointed with Air Mauritius.
You get what you pay for.
Have a read through here - not all bad reviews, but on balance I'd prefer Singapore.

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_maur.htm
Old May 30th 2006, 1:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

20 odd hours with a baby stuck on a plane not long - are you quite well?

Obviously, I'd like to be able to buy a nice uber-expensive skybed and not worry about it but funds simply won't allow it I'm afraid so we'll have to find an alternative. i am well aware that airlines like Singapore are going to be the best but was just interested to hear from people who've done it.

Thanks Amazulu, I also heard that the plane was pretty aged but all the reviews I can find are generally positive apart from that criticism and when we checked out Singapore's Business Class section last year (selling for a cool $18k) they looked pretty shoddy to be perfectly honest!
lol actually I think travelling with a 5month old would be a damned sight easier than with a 2 or 3 year old (or even an 11 and 13 year old who are upset about leaving their friends). But that was my point, some people just want to get here as cheaply as possible so it doesn't matter, I would have travelled Singapore First Class given half a chance, I like my comforts but settled for Singapore economy. Just checked with Seat Guru and they are not listed on there so can't help more sorry .
Old May 30th 2006, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

lol actually I think travelling with a 5month old would be a damned sight easier than with a 2 or 3 year old (or even an 11 and 13 year old who are upset about leaving their friends). But that was my point, some people just want to get here as cheaply as possible so it doesn't matter, I would have travelled Singapore First Class given half a chance, I like my comforts but settled for Singapore economy. Just checked with Seat Guru and they are not listed on there so can't help more sorry .

Thanks anyway guys. I didn't expect to get SIA quality for MA prices. My point was that even SIA business class can look a bit tired but at almost 10 times the price you'd expect it to blow your socks off!

I guess it also doesn't just come down to the plane - Lufthansa planes weren't awful; but the staff & service were atrocious. I preferred Garuda! Ho hum, guess we'll never know unless we bite the bullet. We'll be flying SIA Business class one-way (thanks to our airmiles) so will let you know how they compare if we go for it.
Old May 30th 2006, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya,

Thanks,

Em.
Hi there

I have flown with Air Mauritius on many occasions and have never had a problem with them.

The inflight service was very good as was the food. If you can get a good price then I would say go for it.

Sharon
Old May 30th 2006, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pasquill
Hi there

I have flown with Air Mauritius on many occasions and have never had a problem with them.

The inflight service was very good as was the food. If you can get a good price then I would say go for it.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Hoorah! Someone who's done it! Have you any idea what their Business Class section is like and how would you compare them to other airlines you have used?

Thanks.
Old May 30th 2006, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sharon,

Hoorah! Someone who's done it! Have you any idea what their Business Class section is like and how would you compare them to other airlines you have used?

Thanks.
There business class section is excellent with a good choice of meals and a lovely wine selection, but quite often we got upgraded to First Class, which is fantastic.

I would say that they are no better or worse then the majority of airlines but I will defiantly use them again.

Sharon
Old May 30th 2006, 5:12 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

... We also have a bub now who will be about 5 months old when we plan to travel so we were hoping to get a bit more room in business class....
Your allowed to take a 5month old into Business Class
Old May 30th 2006, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve99
If you pay the fare ......yes you can

Sharon
Old May 30th 2006, 5:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by steve99
You can take a five (or any other) month old in First if you so wish. Some may not like it but as they are probably on business trips, and not paying for themselves anyway they can dislike it all they like (does that make sense )
Old May 30th 2006, 6:43 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

You can take a five (or any other) month old in First if you so wish. Some may not like it but as they are probably on business trips, and not paying for themselves anyway they can dislike it all they like (does that make sense )
So what class do you upgrade to if you want to get away from everyone else's screaming kids?
Pilot class maybe