Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone feel stuck in Perth but want out ?

Anyone feel stuck in Perth but want out ?

Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone feel stuck in Perth but want out ?

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Actually in your previous post you wrote "We find Perth isolated dull and not much to see and do and feel anyone who thinks Perth has a lot going for it must of come from somewhere deprived ."
Not everyone who loves Perth came from a UK shithole - some may well have but not everyone, it`s really too broad a generalisation to make. It`s all down to opinions in the end and everyone is different I guess.
I said that due to a few poms saying Perth is fantastic ' we cane from Liverpool and I got a price on my head bk there had a knife up against my throat ' ... Other one saying crime ridden part of Manchester
Love it here so friendly less crime !
I am going by what others have told me which makes me under the impression those that love it were deprived . Ok I might be wrong
I am taking about suburbia not the city or areas near city .
Those that live in subiaco were not deprived lol
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

No, not bored in the slightest. We've always found loads to do, have met loads of lovely people (Aussies and expats), and have been to the theatre and concerts a fair few times, given we have a 4 year old.

Before this we lived in Singapore for 14 years - a busy, vibrant city with very low crime. Although we weren't the richest people there, we had a very comfortable lifestyle with plenty of overseas holidays each year and a maid to clean the house.

But I love my life here. I'm not wrong to do so, and you're not wrong not to. But just because someone likes it here doesn't mean they had a crap life before, or that they're bogans who don't know better. (Yes, I remember your previous posts too.)

If you don't like it, then go where it makes you happy, because you're a long time dead.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:17 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce n sheila
We find Perth isolated dull and not much to see and do and feel anyone who thinks Perth has a lot going for it must of come from somewhere deprived . As Perth has to be the dullest city I have ever been to . I aak those that love Perth did you come from a village or crime ridden area in the uk .... I am stating what expats have said to me , you been well travelled been all around oz?
Have lived a number of years (minimum 5) in each of London, Oxford, Amsterdam, Johannesburg and certainly got the best out of what each city/area had to offer, but now in Perth for 4 years and lovin' it for the different lifestyle qualities it brings.

Perth may not top the others in all comparisons, but overall it's the lifestyle winner.

I've also travelled round most of Europe, southern Africa, and Canada, and now travel frequently around Australia.

The idea that people who migrate to Perth all originate from some sleepy hollow is quite unfounded.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved from north to south as we could not get a rental if we found one that took pets then we would of possibly stayed north of the river .
But don't see much difference between the two now apart from ridiculous prices north . your right with how I have felt here . I been ok at times but mostly I dislike the spread out thing as there is jack in secret harbour it's like a village .
Will see what happens next year after our trip to Bali in march . Will have a long hard think whilst there . It's not just moving 4 times here I have been pregnant most if the year I have been here too . And now we have a baby with possibly a whole host of problems .
So the negative thoughts come back of wanting to be in a familiar place .
To go home would cost $20,000 plus so not an option right now nor is moving interstate but maybe something to consider next year ? Will see
Aha....

The North South divide...

I've found that people tend to stay where they land... If you started off NOR you may be happier up that way, as you would have made some contacts up there, met people you like, started a social life... To then move this far SOR may have been a mistake... You'd have to be travelling that much further to see friends... I didnt know your history....

And SEcret Harbour IS like a small commuter village.... Think one of the new London Feeders that went up in the 70s..... Wont have much of a community feel yet.

I met a woman who came over and wanted a house on the Anchorage (WTF ???????) Then because they couldnt afford one there they went back to the UK... Well thats what she told every one... If I cant have the house I want why be here....

It wasnt REALLY anything to do with the Anchorage ... It was a little bit of everything mixed up with a bloody good dollop of homesickness...
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Warn you now though with Brissie, if you want a rental that will take pets my god are you in for a hunt. We still have a very short rental market, and if you want somewhere decent that takes pets, it may well take you a while to find one.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Fit in or f**k off

Simple really
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Fit in or f**k off

Simple really
Give some money and I shall f@$k off !!!! Gladly
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:11 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

actions speak louder than words!
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:28 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Actually in your previous post you wrote "We find Perth isolated dull and not much to see and do and feel anyone who thinks Perth has a lot going for it must of come from somewhere deprived ."
Not everyone who loves Perth came from a UK shithole - some may well have but not everyone, it`s really too broad a generalisation to make. It`s all down to opinions in the end and everyone is different I guess.
Absolutely, I was brought up on the Lancs/Cumbria border and lived in rural Cambridgeshire before I moved here. Not where I want to live now but hardly a shithole.

To the OP, have a good read of your posts. Do you come across like that face to face with people. If you do then I think you have your answer as to why you haven't made a decent circle of friends.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 1:36 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I know that feeling, I could do with winning the lotto this week myself

Last edited by Cheetah7; Nov 14th 2011 at 1:53 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NikiL
Wow, not read a lot of the OP's other posts, but I don't think assuming that just because someone liked the UK means they should head back there necessarily.

Brisbane, personally I love it. Found it very welcoming, friendly, its not that far to go to find stuff at all, short flight gets you most places in the State and there's plenty of very family friendly things to do and places to go. Actually found it quite staggering how family friendly the place is.

You do find people are either Northsiders or Southsiders, but no antagonism about it. If the other posters are all Perthites, then stuff living with that attitude, move to Brissie

Like your post ( very positive ) about brissie
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I know that feeling, I could do with winning the lotto this week myself
If I win I share it
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Like your post ( very positive ) about brissie
I think though that Brissie may be out of reach for you. We moved from Sydney to Perth and the cost was about the same as i have been qouted for the cost to move back to the UK. Add in the lack of work over there at the moment compared to Perth and i cant see why you would be thinking about it. I think you need to think up a plan. How easy would it be for your husband to get work in QLD compared to the UK. As that will ultimatly make the desicion for you
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:34 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

If I win I share it
People say money doesnt buy happiness and whilst that may be true, neither does not having any money.

How nice would it be to only have to work part time and not have to worry about finances. The one thing I struggle with here is the cost of medicines, in England you can get those pre payment certificates for unlimited scripts which is a bonus when you have something wrong.

Mr PP is always winning small amounts on the weekly lotto, but enough is enough with the small dollars, the big one has our name on it.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
People say money doesnt buy happiness and whilst that may be true, neither does not having any money.

How nice would it be to only have to work part time and not have to worry about finances. The one thing I struggle with here is the cost of medicines, in England you can get those pre payment certificates for unlimited scripts which is a bonus when you have something wrong.

Mr PP is always winning small amounts on the weekly lotto, but enough is enough with the small dollars, the big one has our name on it.
Hopefully he will win a big win for you soon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.