Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone feel stuck in Perth but want out ?

Anyone feel stuck in Perth but want out ?

Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone feel stuck in Perth but want out ?

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I wouldn't post on here looking for empathy. You won't find much.
Yes you can expect empathy... But not a pity me fest... Expect to be offered ideas on how to help yerself...

If anyone says they haven't known EXACTLY what it feels like to miss what we had before we came at SOME STAGE they'd be recostructing the truth

I didnt realise your specific circumstances are quite what they are... You ARE Going to feel this way and you have very little control which will make you feel powerless and compound your feelings of isolation...
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, i dont think QLD is the answer. In miles its less isolated, but its still a fair way to anywhere.

If you want more of a cosmopolitan feel then i would recomend Sydney or Melbourne. We lived in Sydney and it is a very different place to Perth. Much more like London.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:26 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irishbloo
I could be wrong but Im guessing you misunderstood him.
He's a very misunderstood individual.
Dates back to his childhood I'd warrant.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh.. The "no" answer... ?????

You asked a question and got an answer....

No lack of empathy evidenced by that, just a lack of ellaboration on an answer
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce n sheila
We find Perth isolated dull and not much to see and do and feel anyone who thinks Perth has a lot going for it must of come from somewhere deprived . As Perth has to be the dullest city I have ever been to . I aak those that love Perth did you come from a village or crime ridden area in the uk ....
Because you find it dull does not mean that people who don't must have come from somewhere deprived. My husband and I moved here from one of the most affluent areas of Canada (not that we were particularly affluent, but our area was). Very low crime rate and not deprived at all.

Does it make you feel better about your situation to belittle people who don't feel the same way you do?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

I didn't misunderstand the post about lack of empathy .
I totally agree with them as on other posts I have put on here in the past I know exactly where your coming from hence a few people on expats ( not this post ) but previous have been pedantic . Rude and just plain pathetic . Good constructive views and advise is all needed . Thanks for those that do that .
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Because you find it dull does not mean that people who don't must have come from somewhere deprived. My husband and I moved here from one of the most affluent areas of Canada (not that we were particularly affluent, but our area was). Very low crime rate and not deprived at all.

Does it make you feel better about your situation to belittle people who don't feel the same way you do?
Stating fact I know a lot of poms who would not go back as their words it was a shit hole ! Does that mean I am belittling ? NO
And others whom like secret harbour where I live find it busy here ?? As they came from a village or quieter than secret harbour to me that is fine for them
I came from a very busy town in the uk also lovely and it is better than where I live . So before getting all uppety you aught to realize I am saying how I have been told it !!!! .. Great to hear you came from such a great place ... Hope you like this place better as you moves here .
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

You have been saying for a while that you are unhappy here and find Perth dull and boring.You have said that where you came from in the Uk,that it was lovely and you had lots to do.Its not rocket side.Sounds like you would be best heading back.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, not read a lot of the OP's other posts, but I don't think assuming that just because someone liked the UK means they should head back there necessarily.

Brisbane, personally I love it. Found it very welcoming, friendly, its not that far to go to find stuff at all, short flight gets you most places in the State and there's plenty of very family friendly things to do and places to go. Actually found it quite staggering how family friendly the place is.

You do find people are either Northsiders or Southsiders, but no antagonism about it. If the other posters are all Perthites, then stuff living with that attitude, move to Brissie
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikiL
Wow, not read a lot of the OP's other posts, but I don't think assuming that just because someone liked the UK means they should head back there necessarily.

Brisbane, personally I love it. Found it very welcoming, friendly, its not that far to go to find stuff at all, short flight gets you most places in the State and there's plenty of very family friendly things to do and places to go. Actually found it quite staggering how family friendly the place is.

You do find people are either Northsiders or Southsiders, but no antagonism about it. If the other posters are all Perthites, then stuff living with that attitude, move to Brissie
I have read the ops other posts and still stand by my opinion.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:56 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is how many times do you move? You didn`t like NOR so you moved SOR, you moved a few times since being SOR (2/3 times??) you`ve hated Perth pretty much since you arrived - do a search on Perth and one of the first things that comes up is isolation yadda, yadda, yadda. Sit down and write two seperate lists of pros and cons for moving over East and for moving back to UK, then start doing some research and putting the feelers out re jobs etc and see if that info changes anything on the previous pros/cons list. I don`t think staying in Perth is an option for you, as you are obviously deeply unhappy with Perth, so start seriously looking at changing your situation but make sure as much as you can that whatever you choose won`t result in you feeling the exact same way a few months down the line. Good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikiL

There's no work here though Niki, I'm sure they'd be either better staying where they are or heading back to the UK to be close to family
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Stating fact I know a lot of poms who would not go back as their words it was a shit hole ! Does that mean I am belittling ? NO
And others whom like secret harbour where I live find it busy here ?? As they came from a village or quieter than secret harbour to me that is fine for them
I came from a very busy town in the uk also lovely and it is better than where I live . So before getting all uppety you aught to realize I am saying how I have been told it !!!! .. Great to hear you came from such a great place ... Hope you like this place better as you moves here .
I don't think anyone except you have got all uppety (sic).

I'm not sure what that last sentence means. "Hope you like this place better as you moves here". Um, what?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:04 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Actually in your previous post you wrote "We find Perth isolated dull and not much to see and do and feel anyone who thinks Perth has a lot going for it must of come from somewhere deprived ."
Not everyone who loves Perth came from a UK shithole - some may well have but not everyone, it`s really too broad a generalisation to make. It`s all down to opinions in the end and everyone is different I guess.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Trouble is how many times do you move? You didn`t like NOR so you moved SOR, you moved a few times since being SOR (2/3 times??) you`ve hated Perth pretty much since you arrived - do a search on Perth and one of the first things that comes up is isolation yadda, yadda, yadda. Sit down and write two seperate lists of pros and cons for moving over East and for moving back to UK, then start doing some research and putting the feelers out re jobs etc and see if that info changes anything on the previous pros/cons list. I don`t think staying in Perth is an option for you, as you are obviously deeply unhappy with Perth, so start seriously looking at changing your situation but make sure as much as you can that whatever you choose won`t result in you feeling the exact same way a few months down the line. Good luck.
We moved from north to south as we could not get a rental if we found one that took pets then we would of possibly stayed north of the river .
But don't see much difference between the two now apart from ridiculous prices north . your right with how I have felt here . I been ok at times but mostly I dislike the spread out thing as there is jack in secret harbour it's like a village .
Will see what happens next year after our trip to Bali in march . Will have a long hard think whilst there . It's not just moving 4 times here I have been pregnant most if the year I have been here too . And now we have a baby with possibly a whole host of problems .
So the negative thoughts come back of wanting to be in a familiar place .
To go home would cost $20,000 plus so not an option right now nor is moving interstate but maybe something to consider next year ? Will see

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.