Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone feel stuck in Perth but want out ?

Anyone feel stuck in Perth but want out ?

Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all
Default Anyone feel stuck in Perth but want out ?

We been here just over a year and we are so over it . Unsure wether to go Brisbane been before and prefer it to Perth
As busier or not sure wether to go home ... want to wait for citizenship
But think I will go stir crazy here waiting .
Just had a new baby and feel even more isolated as
To go anywhere is so far and spread out . Have not got the funds to do either at the moment so feel stuck , anyone else in the same boat ?
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:40 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone feel stuck in Perth but want out ?

You could certainly try Brisbane, at least it isnt quite as isolated as Perth. I could never live in Perth but it appeals to others, in fact I wouldn't choose to live anywhere in Australia other than the Brisbane area.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 5:56 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce n sheila
We been here just over a year and we are so over it . Unsure wether to go Brisbane been before and prefer it to Perth
To go anywhere is so far and spread out . Have not got the funds to do either at the moment so feel stuck , anyone else in the same boat ?
Plenty of people dislike it here and return home. I think the problem is your lack of friends, the fact you aren't working and you are stuck at home with a new baby. This will be no different in Brisbane as you won't be in a financial position to enjoy the fact you are closer to everything that you find interesting. Best thing you can do IMO and from what I read of your posts is make the best of it, start saving and go back to the UK. Australia isn't for everyone, there is nothing wrong with admitting that and planning a future back 'home'.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Nope.

I am still at home with my youngest. I made friends through playgroups (both the official WA one and unofficial local ones), met good friends through this board (yup, that happens), and we still meet our former neighbors regularly.

I live in the same area as the OP and don't feel isolated. Between my own interests, the kids' stuff, parent get togethers, meeting friends for coffee, errands, you name it, I'm content enough. After my littlest kiddo is off to school, I'll be working and studying p/t, so as hubby reminds me, enjoy this phase...it'll be over far too soon.

Life is what you make it. I chose to put the effort in so I wouldn't feel lonely and isolated. There's a ton of options out there.

Last edited by Japonica; Nov 14th 2011 at 7:13 am.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Perth and Oz for that matter is not for everyone and a lot go home. What you have to do is the process that we are going through at the moment. Sit down and go through why it was you came to Oz and what you wanted. Then, compare what you have and the things you hoped you would have why you havent and is there a way of getting them.

Then, go through what it was in the UK you wanted to escape from and the things you didnt like and try to objectivly view if your current situation is better than what you came from.

We will be doing this process in the next couple weeks when i finaly get home from work - its not good to do it by long distance telephone call.

Try writing it all down and then you can go through it easier in a discussion.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Having babies is hard work at the best of times .

Lots of phases - you might find that things change - or they won't .
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

no
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:36 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes. But then I look at what we have to go back to and decide that for now this is not so bad. In a couple of years we may change our minds but for now I've got a good job, some really lovely friends and workmates, a house we've built and a husband who's happy here.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sometimes. But then I look at what we have to go back to and decide that for now this is not so bad. In a couple of years we may change our minds but for now I've got a good job, some really lovely friends and workmates, a house we've built and a husband who's happy here.
Tried to karma you but couldnt.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to feel less isolated you have to make the effort....

You'll find Loads of people want to talk to you about the new bub.... Mums & toddlers as previously mentioned is an excellent start.... And its Never too early to take a bub along, many with active toddlers will have younger bubs too.....

You have Long term choices... Stay and whinge about it, Stay in perth area and make an effort, move interstate with a better mind set and start again or go home.... There are a lot of people desparate to come out, or to stay here who cant for lots of reasons.....

But whilst you're stuck here due to funds you need to pull yourself up and get on with it.... Until the financial situation changes and you can do something positive in any direction focusing on the negative will only concentrate those negative feelings you have....

You ARE the master of your own state of happiness, if not your entire destiny... Unless you've got post partum blues... But seeing as this has been going on since well before the baby was born that appears not entirely to blame...

So pull yerself together and get yerself out there
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:10 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't post on here looking for empathy. You won't find much.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

It's a lot of factors why we want to move
Friends we have a few here we went to a get together the other day
I have met some lovely people I have been to a play group too .
We find Perth isolated dull and not much to see and do and feel anyone who thinks Perth has a lot going for it must of come from somewhere deprived . As Perth has to be the dullest city I have ever been to . I aak those that love Perth did you come from a village or crime ridden area in the uk .... I am stating what expats have said to me , you been well travelled been all around oz? . As I have honestly found those that love Perth there is good reason . And each to their own . I left the uk for a new start better life for the kids
They are pretty happy keeping busy working surfing cheerleading etc .
We were used to 37 years being townies and we have come to the most isolated place in the most isolated city , lots of ozzies who live near the city who bought years ago one woman paid $23,000 for her cottesloe home now worth $1.2 mil . She said to me yesterday why the hell live in the most isolated place . we said because we can't afford to live closer to things .
The other lady who was born and bred here said get out go to Queensland , so many more opportunities . She said her daughter sings and could not find places to work As not much going on here . But she has done well in Queensland As more over there . This is hence my post I wonder which of you feel the same . I know there are people that like Perth . This is a dull city and even people I know have active busy and working lives would like to move .
So I know it's not just a baby or a friend circle I just dont feel Perth suburban life is for a busy person like or people like us . We never used to be in our home in the uk always out doing something . Why is here so different as it's not us it's the place . We found an abundant amount of things to do back home . Left due to the economy so of course we are unsure about going back .
The place was great just work and money is a problem. Here is dull but jobs and money better . That's why we wondered if gold coast being busier would balance out what we were looking for .
I understand some of you like Perth and seem to be ok here and keep busy
That definitely helps . But must say it's not somewhere I would want to call home
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I wouldn't post on here looking for empathy. You won't find much.
No your right a few on BE are pedantic
must be bored of where they live or something !

Last edited by bruce n sheila; Nov 14th 2011 at 10:15 am.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:15 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are some of you on be so pedantic
If you don't like the post ignore it , are you just looking for arguments as u are bored of Australia or what !
You got the wrong end of the stick of my post. It wasn't having a go at you, just pointing out that there is generally little sympathy shown on here for people who don't rate Australia.
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

No your right a few on BE are pedantic
must be bored of where they live or something !
I could be wrong but Im guessing you misunderstood him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.