Wikiposts

Anyone fancy giving me a job ?

Old Mar 8th 2004, 12:57 am
Just Joined

stuartgibb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone fancy giving me a job ?

Hi all,

Bit of a random one here...

Im looking for a job. Currently I am working for as a Graduate Transport Planner at a large consultancy in London.

I'm looking to try and arrange 6 months (or more) of work experience at a similar size
Australian firm so that when I finally apply for residency I stand a better chance of obtaining it first time.

Its a long shot, I know, but what the heck. If you dont ask you'll never get anywhere.

If anyones got any contacts or even better is working in a similar field anywhere in Australia then please your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. Good luck to you all.

Stu
Old Mar 8th 2004, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone fancy giving me a job ?

Originally posted by stuartgibb
Hi all,

Bit of a random one here...

Im looking for a job. Currently I am working for as a Graduate Transport Planner at a large consultancy in London.

I'm looking to try and arrange 6 months (or more) of work experience at a similar size
Australian firm so that when I finally apply for residency I stand a better chance of obtaining it first time.

Its a long shot, I know, but what the heck. If you dont ask you'll never get anywhere.

If anyones got any contacts or even better is working in a similar field anywhere in Australia then please your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks. Good luck to you all.

Stu

Hi Stu. Used to be a transport planner - not a lot of people realise that transport is actually planned (LOL - I don't think it is that is why i am not one anymore!)

I used to work for URS, a big american owned consultancy. They have offices throughout Oz, a possible contact would be Alex Ijen in the Melbourne office - was looking for secondments a few years ago - don't know if still there?? Website is http://www.urscorp.com

good luck
Old Mar 8th 2004, 1:19 am
Just Joined

Cheers,

I'll check them out and send off a CV, maybe they'll be interested.

Am desperate to live and work in Australia, but at 23 and with no chance of raising 100k for independent migration, getting a years work experience in Australia looks to be my best and only bet.

Thanks again for you help, I really appreciate it.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

warwick road is an unknown quantity at this point
Default easy

get a 1yr working visa, get a job and build up a few contacts over here, sooner or later you will find a company willing to sponsor you in.....if that fails chuck 5 grand some slappers way to marry you - piece of piss mate!!!
Old Mar 8th 2004, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Cheers,

I'll check them out and send off a CV, maybe they'll be interested.

Am desperate to live and work in Australia, but at 23 and with no chance of raising 100k for independent migration, getting a years work experience in Australia looks to be my best and only bet.

You'll find that transport planner is not on dimia's list of recognised professions too so will have a harder time trying to get in that way. i was 23 when i went over on a working holiday visa - you will get that no problem. The only trouble is that you are limited to 3 months only with any one employer. However, I did manage to get a 3 month contract with Ove Arup in Perth working on a research project into the stopping sight distance of road trains. That was good. You could try them too. Peter Damon was my contact there, but don't think he is still there.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 1:33 am
earlswood

Default Re: easy

Originally posted by warwick road
get a 1yr working visa, get a job and build up a few contacts over here, sooner or later you will find a company willing to sponsor you in.....if that fails chuck 5 grand some slappers way to marry you - piece of piss mate!!!

Old Mar 8th 2004, 1:36 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

its not that bad stuart. have a look at state nominated visas. jsut looked at the Victoria gov immigration pages and transport planners are on their list of occupations in demand. see the list here

others here will tell you more about STNI.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Cheers,

This is all good stuff,

Many thanks
Old Mar 8th 2004, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Fuzzyness
its not that bad stuart. have a look at state nominated visas. jsut looked at the Victoria gov immigration pages and transport planners are on their list of occupations in demand. see the list here

others here will tell you more about STNI.

They were not listed when i applied for my visa, but yes there are lots of jobs in it now, like over here. I just found it as dull as dishwater. however, i don't think you have enough experience for that yet Stu - you'll just have to wait a few years! Seriously though, think about a working holiday visa - companies will take you more seriously if you have some sort of work permit.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 1:51 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Cheers,

At the tender age of 23, why would you want/need to raise 100K? You talk as if it's compulsory.
Old Mar 8th 2004, 2:04 am
Just Joined

I'm 23, with no familly or sponsor in Australia. With my current education and 12 months UK work experience i would only meet the pool mark.

To make the pass mark I either need Australian work experience or the 100k government bond. Seeing as the last time I looked in my piggy bank I still abit short, i figured that getting work experince was my only other realistic option.

So far I've take the plain old holiday visa 4 times and still have my 1 year working visa available. Having quite one job 2 years ago to go travelling I dont think I can risk taking the 1 year working visa and just turning up so to speak in Australia looking for work. Ideally I would like to be offered some sort of rellevant work experience whilst still working here in London.

I'll look into State nominated visas though. Cheers
Old Mar 8th 2004, 2:44 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

I'm 23, with no familly or sponsor in Australia. With my current education and 12 months UK work experience i would only meet the pool mark.

To make the pass mark I either need Australian work experience or the 100k government bond. Seeing as the last time I looked in my piggy bank I still abit short, i figured that getting work experince was my only other realistic option.

So far I've take the plain old holiday visa 4 times and still have my 1 year working visa available. Having quite one job 2 years ago to go travelling I dont think I can risk taking the 1 year working visa and just turning up so to speak in Australia looking for work. Ideally I would like to be offered some sort of rellevant work experience whilst still working here in London.

I'll look into State nominated visas though. Cheers
Two more years experience here should swing it for you then.

Unless you can find a quicker way around that, I suppose you'll have to wait. You're young and sound ambitious. I'm sure you'll get there in the end. Good luck.