Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone experienced with Brivis and their central heating systems

Anyone experienced with Brivis and their central heating systems

Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone experienced with Brivis and their central heating systems

Chaps

Just about to move into a rental. Agent is a muppet and thus easier to talk to the bricks in the house than her. Anyhow, I digress...

House has ducted heating, single story, with a Brivis Buffalo heater outside and a dirty great pipe that goes up outside the house from the heater to the attic. Ducted heating is all in the floor.

The only control I can see for the entire system is the central thermostat, which seems to be c. 1960's with just the lever at the bottom that you slide from side to side.

In there today (awaiting container arrival) and the interior temp said 20. Thus I thought if I wanted to I could slide the lever over to the 30 mark, you would hear the electronic click, and it would then start the system. Felt and heard nothing.

Went outside, unplugged the heater from the mains and plugged it back in. There was immediately a whirring noise and some limited 'hot air' from the vent on the external heater - so it would seem the electronic ignition is working.

Is there anything else I could or should be doing to test it or should I just be leaving it until winter and then seeing if it works?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Slip
Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:59 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone experienced with Brivis and their central heating systems

I'm a gas fitter, so will try and help.

Are you sure it's an electronic ignition and not an auto re-ignition system?

And how hot was the room temperature?
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:04 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rosscov1970
I'm a gas fitter, so will try and help.

Are you sure it's an electronic ignition and not an auto re-ignition system?

And how hot was the room temperature?
Thanks chap.

Back at the house tomorrow so will check. And the room temp was about 20 today when I tried it. The thermostat goes up to 30. Thermostat does not appear to require power.

Wall controller very similir to this one

http://www.brivis.com.au/web/BrivisW...25735C001B4FA2

Second row, far left. The most basic of them all - a small rectanguar box.

Cheers
Old Feb 25th 2009, 6:08 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot
Thanks chap.

Back at the house tomorrow so will check. And the room temp was about 20 today when I tried it. The thermostat goes up to 30. Thermostat does not appear to require power.

Wall controller very similir to this one

http://www.brivis.com.au/web/BrivisW...25735C001B4FA2

Second row, far left. The most basic of them all - a small rectanguar box.

Cheers
The room thermostat does require power and switches power to the gas valve on the auto re-ignition sytem. On an electronic ignition system it switches power back to the PCB, both sytems require voltage at the thermostat.

Shame I'm not closer to help but I'm in Adelaide.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks and apprecaite it.

It actually says 'electronic pilot relighter' on the outside of the unit. Hope that helps...
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

Chaps

Just about to move into a rental. Agent is a muppet and thus easier to talk to the bricks in the house than her. Anyhow, I digress...

House has ducted heating, single story, with a Brivis Buffalo heater outside and a dirty great pipe that goes up outside the house from the heater to the attic. Ducted heating is all in the floor.

The only control I can see for the entire system is the central thermostat, which seems to be c. 1960's with just the lever at the bottom that you slide from side to side.

In there today (awaiting container arrival) and the interior temp said 20. Thus I thought if I wanted to I could slide the lever over to the 30 mark, you would hear the electronic click, and it would then start the system. Felt and heard nothing.

Went outside, unplugged the heater from the mains and plugged it back in. There was immediately a whirring noise and some limited 'hot air' from the vent on the external heater - so it would seem the electronic ignition is working.

Is there anything else I could or should be doing to test it or should I just be leaving it until winter and then seeing if it works?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Slip

The thermostat does require power 24V. It is fed from the furnace outside. Try resetting the power again (turn off for 5 mins and then back on) and also check the gas is on. If you try to turn on the heater with no gas it will go into lockout after 3 ignition attempts. This may be your problem.

Then after resetting the system and ensuring gas is on, turn up the thermostat to maximum it is a mercury switch so wont work if the home is too warm. The furness should go through an ignition process and light, a couple of minutes later the fan will come on.

I used to sell the gas controls to Brivis for these heaters so I know a bit about them. If it works you owe me $50 for repair, only joking!

Pete
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Pete

Thansk chap - will try that later today and see what happens but may be too warm at the moment. Much appreciated.

I do hope your 'gunner' in your name does not refer to your allegiance? Paying a Gooner $50 as a proud Yid would be like a health warning!
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

Pete

Thansk chap - will try that later today and see what happens but may be too warm at the moment. Much appreciated.

I do hope your 'gunner' in your name does not refer to your allegiance? Paying a Gooner $50 as a proud Yid would be like a health warning!

Gooner for life although I did go to the Spurs v man city 2nd FA cup final back in 198? I was even secretly happy for them when Ricky Villa scored that great goal.
(proud and Yid) is an oxymoron
Old Feb 26th 2009, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner
Gooner for life although I did go to the Spurs v man city 2nd FA cup final back in 198? I was even secretly happy for them when Ricky Villa scored that great goal.
(proud and Yid) is an oxymoron
English and gooner is also an oxymoron
Old Feb 27th 2009, 7:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

It's not unknown for the agents to turn off the gas and "forget" to tell you. Happened to two of us in our last rental, and it took several very cold days for one of the other neighbours to find out and turn the valve through 90 degrees!

The "limited" amount of hot air coming through when the whirring started could well just be the hot air trapped in the ducting being expelled.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner
The thermostat does require power 24V. It is fed from the furnace outside. Try resetting the power again (turn off for 5 mins and then back on) and also check the gas is on. If you try to turn on the heater with no gas it will go into lockout after 3 ignition attempts. This may be your problem.

Then after resetting the system and ensuring gas is on, turn up the thermostat to maximum it is a mercury switch so wont work if the home is too warm. The furness should go through an ignition process and light, a couple of minutes later the fan will come on.

I used to sell the gas controls to Brivis for these heaters so I know a bit about them. If it works you owe me $50 for repair, only joking!

Pete
Pete

It did not work. The pilot is alight and well, the gas is thus on, and the unit outside has a small amount of heat coming from the vent on it. But what I notice most is the thermostat does not 'click' when I move it from far left (off) to far right (30 degrees), as if there is no contact being made and thus no call for heat. Thus I think it's the thermostat knackered?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Pete

It did not work. The pilot is alight and well, the gas is thus on, and the unit outside has a small amount of heat coming from the vent on it. But what I notice most is the thermostat does not 'click' when I move it from far left (off) to far right (30 degrees), as if there is no contact being made and thus no call for heat. Thus I think it's the thermostat knackered?
You are probably right. If its a rental get the agent to call a service guy he will have it fixed up in no time

Pete
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 5:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Pete

One of the most common causes of thermostats not working is simply dust in the contacts. Try taking off the cover and giving the innards a good hard blow with the vacuum on reverse.