Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever failed a medical for being underweight?

Anyone ever failed a medical for being underweight?

Old Sep 9th 2005, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

mark937 is on a distinguished road
Default Anyone ever failed a medical for being underweight?

Odd question I know, but there's lots of dieters for aus but not much info for those who are on the smaller side? Has anyone ever failed a medical on being underweight? Not drastically underweight, BMI of 17.9?
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:27 pm
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone ever failed a medical for being underweight?

Originally Posted by mark937
Odd question I know, but there's lots of dieters for aus but not much info for those who are on the smaller side? Has anyone ever failed a medical on being underweight? Not drastically underweight, BMI of 17.9?
Don't really know the answer to that Mark but I think they are more bothered about you being fit and healthy and not a drain on the health system, so I'd say "no worries mate"
Carole
Old Sep 9th 2005, 10:48 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wickedsid
Don't really know the answer to that Mark but I think they are more bothered about you being fit and healthy and not a drain on the health system, so I'd say "no worries mate"
Carole
My OH is quite thin, and the Doc did ask 'have you always been like that'? She was hugely reassured by his 'yes' answer, and confirmation that he's pretty fit & has a metabolism that allows him to eat as much chocolate as he likes, and never put on a gramme! (sickening, isn't it? )

It was funny, because I had dieted like mad & even then was dead worried about my weight, but the Doc was far more interested in him!

No worries, though - as long as you are fit & healthy they do understand that people come in different shapes & sizes

Good luck with the medicals!

Cheers
Anya.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

I think smaller people should have a larger baggage allowance on the plane!!

In fact we should have to stand on some scales holding all our baggage so they can measure the total weight. If the total weight is a few pounds over we should have the choice of discarding items from the cases or going for a quick session in the gymn to shed a bit, like boxers do!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve G
I think smaller people should have a larger baggage allowance on the plane!!

In fact we should have to stand on some scales holding all our baggage so they can measure the total weight. If the total weight is a few pounds over we should have the choice of discarding items from the cases or going for a quick session in the gymn to shed a bit, like boxers do!!
Many thanks for that, its reassuring! I think we should approach the airlines with this idea, I can see us all now sitting on those huge scales, like the jockey's use for the 'weigh in'! We could apply it to the kids as well - I would probably be able to ship my house over on the plane! Ah well back to reality and shipping costs of £4000!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:47 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mark

Do a search on the Immigration forum on this as I know Rab had similar concerns and he was absolutely fine.

Good luck
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bridiej
Hi Mark

Do a search on the Immigration forum on this as I know Rab had similar concerns and he was absolutely fine.

Good luck
Thanks for that. just checked and he had the opposite prob, high BMI. It'll probably be ok. We had the medicals yesterday and I wasn't worried until the Dr did the weigh in. Ah well just wait and see!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:56 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that. just checked and he had the opposite prob, high BMI. It'll probably be ok. We had the medicals yesterday and I wasn't worried until the Dr did the weigh in. Ah well just wait and see!

Sorry, my mistake, my eyes are still half asleep and I thought your post said overweight - DOH!!!!!
Old Sep 10th 2005, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bridiej
Sorry, my mistake, my eyes are still half asleep and I thought your post said overweight - DOH!!!!!
Thats ok. I've done a search and can't really find anything (apart from the luggage thing)! I'm sure it'll all be ok. Surely the dr would have said anything if he was concerned? I asked several times and he didn't give anything away.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 11:26 am
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats ok. I've done a search and can't really find anything (apart from the luggage thing)! I'm sure it'll all be ok. Surely the dr would have said anything if he was concerned? I asked several times and he didn't give anything away.
My BMI is 18.3 and the doctor said nothing about it to me at the medical. I have my visa now. I really wouldn't worry - I'm sure you'll be fine