Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone emigrated with sick cat??

Anyone emigrated with sick cat??

Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice
Default Anyone emigrated with sick cat??

Hi, having a dilema at the mo. Our 6 yr old siamese cat was diagnosed with Kidney failure in August this year & sadly he has limited time left, the vet cannot predict how long (could be weeks or many months??) You would not actually think there is anything wrong with him to look at as he has a good quality of life and is happy and content but on daily pills. The trouble being, would he be able to cope with the flight and quarantine? The vet said he can have treatment to prepare him for the flight, but we're not sure how he will physically cope with quarantine (he will not be alone as we are taking his sister). We love him dearly & would not want to burden family or anyone with a sick cat, so even if he had a few months with us in Perth it would have been worth taking him.

Problem being is that we have just sold the house & are planning to emigrate to Perth early Jan 07. I orginally thought the decision would have been taken out of our hands

Anyone had similar experience???

Cheers x x x
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:01 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone emigrated with sick cat??

Hi Jo,

Not emigrated yet (we leave in six weeks) but in a very similar situation to you - our 17.5 year old cat has advanced liver disease and we also thought that by the time we emigrated the decision would have been made for us. It hasn't, he's still going strong, and so we decided he's coming with us. Everything is booked, I've also got my vet to print out his full case history incase of any probs with the examining vet at the airport etc.

Your cat has limited time left but it could be 18 days or 18 months for all you know. If you haven't got relatives or friends who will take him, and provided his condition is still stable nearer the time you are emigrating, take him with you.

See my thread below - there's a wonderful story from Netta who emigrated with her sick cat:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=389443&pp=15

Nicky

Last edited by Nicky & Dave; Oct 20th 2006 at 11:06 am.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

jo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nicejo&neil is just really nice

Hi Nicky

Many thanks, just finished reading the whole thread, really good to hear other ppl's stories so am more determined to take him now!!

Does he have to checked by a defra vet (if that makes sense?), not just the usual vet down the road? Am worried that we will be told he's not fit enough to fly. What happens if the vet at the airport says he cannot go? With him having renal failure not sure if he can have all the jabs (will check!!)? So sorry for all the questions, but think I need to be sorting out pet shippers, quarantine etc.. asap I suppose if planning to go Jan?

Help!!!

x
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:50 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo&neil
Hi, having a dilema at the mo. Our 6 yr old siamese cat was diagnosed with Kidney failure in August this year & sadly he has limited time left, the vet cannot predict how long (could be weeks or many months??) You would not actually think there is anything wrong with him to look at as he has a good quality of life and is happy and content but on daily pills. The trouble being, would he be able to cope with the flight and quarantine? The vet said he can have treatment to prepare him for the flight, but we're not sure how he will physically cope with quarantine (he will not be alone as we are taking his sister). We love him dearly & would not want to burden family or anyone with a sick cat, so even if he had a few months with us in Perth it would have been worth taking him.

Problem being is that we have just sold the house & are planning to emigrate to Perth early Jan 07. I orginally thought the decision would have been taken out of our hands

Anyone had similar experience???

Cheers x x x
We took our 2 cats with us but both were very healthy so cant really comment on sick cats.

can however say that the AQIS station at Byford is absolutely superb. When we were visiting our cats during the month quarantine that they had to go through, there was a staffy dog that got a twisted gut. The staff were on it instantly and the care given after was beyond anything I've ever seen.

Also If you need a good vet in perth I can highly recommend 2.

one is the 'All creatures geat and small' vet place on canning highway in South Perth and the other is the kalamunda vet hospital.

Our cats have been treated at both and the standard of care is exceptional. the kalamunda one in particular. The owner vet there (a south african chappie) gave up 10 hours of his 'boxing day family get together' to treat our seriously sick cat. If he hadnt she would have died, so I cant recommend him highly enough. Also he was the only vet to call us back out of the 14 I called on christmas night (11pm) he called back within 20 mins, gave advice over the phone about what to do and she was in his surgery at 7am. He even offered to come directly to our house that night (and we didnt live in Kalamunda). We chose not to have him do that but to do the direct treatment he advised, but the mere fact he offered to do it took my panic down about 12 levels he did however say to call him on his mobile anytime during the night and he would come immediately. TBH if I had realised just how sick she was I would have had him there ASAP but ignorance can be bliss sometimes.

Anyway I'll stop rambling now, and wish you all the best with your cat, whatever you decide.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:00 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to say ...

jensteve is a vet nurse here in Perth so might be worth your while to pm her.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vegemite Kids
forgot to say ...

jensteve is a vet nurse here in Perth so might be worth your while to pm her.
Thanks for that x, might be heading Kalamunda way so will keep your vet in mind (sounds like a great guy

It's funny the ppl who have just bought our house, she is a vet nurse. Whilst doing the fixtures & fittings (stuff u leave & take etc) form from the solicitor yesterday, was going to add the cat!! Seriously!

does any one know how booked up Byford is for January 07???

Sooo much to do, so little time
Jo x x
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:43 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo&neil
Hi Nicky

Many thanks, just finished reading the whole thread, really good to hear other ppl's stories so am more determined to take him now!!

Does he have to checked by a defra vet (if that makes sense?), not just the usual vet down the road? Am worried that we will be told he's not fit enough to fly. What happens if the vet at the airport says he cannot go? With him having renal failure not sure if he can have all the jabs (will check!!)? So sorry for all the questions, but think I need to be sorting out pet shippers, quarantine etc.. asap I suppose if planning to go Jan?

Help!!!

x
Hi Jo,

First thing would be to talk to your own vet to ensure your cat can have the required innoculations because these are mandatory. If they say yes, then start thinking about selecting a Pet Shipper asap. I'm using Airpets who are based close to Heathrow, but I have a list of others that people on the forum have used and given good reviews, which I can PM you if you like? The pet shipper will basically sort out all the arrangements and paperwork for you.

Sydney Quarantine is notoriously busy so you need to give as much notice as possible if you have specific timescales you're working to. However, before your shipper can request Quarantine space, they need to have the Import Permits from AQIS, so if you haven't already done so, get your cats microchipped as you need these numbers to apply for the permits.

Check if your vet is DEFRA approved - most vet surgeries have one or two of their vets who are, but it's not essential for the innoculations/microchipping. Most pet shippers will use their own DEFRA approved vet to complete the final DEFRA checks required before travel, but check with your shipper about specifics.

Yes, there is a risk that the vet may not pass your cat as fit for travel and if that's the case, I'm think the options are limited. I face the same risk with Winston, and I'm doing the best I can to ensure he's going to be in as good condition (clean coat, teeth and ears, nails clipped) as he can. I've also got my local vet to supply Win's full case history which will be attached to his travel crate. This also says that his condition is stable, he's not on medication etc etc - perhaps your local vet can do the same?

Hope this helps but PM me if I can be of further help.

Cheers,

Nicky