Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone emigrated over 40

Anyone emigrated over 40

Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone emigrated over 40

Ok Grayling perhaps we could swop pads for a year or two. Walking, fishing, camping, bird watching, gardening etc are excellent here in the North East of England.
Role on 2010 when hopefully we will be in Aus!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 7:57 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Ok Grayling perhaps we could swop pads for a year or two. Walking, fishing, camping, bird watching, gardening etc are excellent here in the North East of England.

At least you have the weather to be able to enjoy them.

Don't underestimate the effect that heat (and even worse humidity) can have on you.

Interestingly even most Australians avoid the outdoors on many summer days......the shopping malls are crowded though.

G
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:29 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
At least you have the weather to be able to enjoy them.

Don't underestimate the effect that heat (and even worse humidity) can have on you.

Interestingly even most Australians avoid the outdoors on many summer days......the shopping malls are crowded though.

G
perhaps you should think of moving to a state with less heat, humidity and mosquitos?

Here in Sydney we see few mosquitos and it's not so hot or humid that you can't go out most of the time. you do get a few really hot humid days but usually it's not so bad

Melbourne is also cooler as is Tassie
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
perhaps you should think of moving to a state with less heat, humidity and mosquitos?

Here in Sydney we see few mosquitos and it's not so hot or humid that you can't go out most of the time. you do get a few really hot humid days but usually it's not so bad

Melbourne is also cooler as is Tassie
Moving states would make it pointless being in Australia as we moved for family reasons.

I would rather move back to the UK than move states.

G
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:48 pm
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

.[/QUOTE]

Came here at 45, wish I had the opportunity 12 years earlier ,like the mrs , who is 32 !

boo hoo
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Im 43 shortly and will be 44 when I will moving over (hopefully!!). I'm constsntly being told that I'm mad as I have a well paid job and will be on about £20k / year worse off in Aus and that's if I can get a job! With 3 kids and a wife who will not be working, as she needs to look after the kids, I'm now beginning to have second thoughts. Just wondering if anyone else has moved over being of a similar age and whether they have regreted the move.
If you have a well paid job then i would think carefully, as my husband is on skilled demand list and two attempts of going back and forth we still cant find that well paid job.
Old Jun 5th 2009, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Just wondering how the oldies are getting on, especially those who have moved over to Aus during the past 12 months or so and whether your dreams have been fulfilled
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
Just wondering how the oldies are getting on, especially those who have moved over to Aus during the past 12 months or so and whether your dreams have been fulfilled
Been here 9and a half months, just moved into our first house, mostly loving it, but it can't half rain here!
Old Jun 6th 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportsendurance

Us oldies are getting on great, moved here 4 1/2 years ago and definitely class ourselves as Australian. Love it here, best move we ever made.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:20 am
Just Joined

sandiep has a spectacular aura aboutsandiep has a spectacular aura aboutsandiep has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Anyone emigrated over 40

We moved to Melbourne on hubbie's temporary visa just before he was 44 and i am a year younger. We had a 6 week old, a 2 1/2 year old and a 9 year old. All have settled well, though we did have a panic when we realised hubbie's work may not have sponsored his permanent visa till he had worked there for 2 years and if they had then decided it was not in their interests to do this, he would be over 45 cut off for independent permanent visa.

We worked hard at getting PR after one year. It is not a particulalry easy move to leave all that you know to come to all that you dont, but we hve no intentions of going back. Hubbie's job is doing his head in, but our money has gone further here and we are mortgage free and just moved into our lovely new build, girls have a horse and oldest at really good private school, so all more affordable than UK. Plus winter here but generally you can get away with tshirts for at least some of the day. Weather is a great plus. Beaches are lovely, all the ones we have been to and you can go more often due to the weather.

Sometimes stuff drives you crazy and we get a bit homesick or stressed but we are glad we have done it. Good luck to you and your family.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

chrisall is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I will be 40 in a few months and the mrs 42. We are currently going through the ACS RPL process as I am in IT but have no qualifications as such. Finding it really heavy-going and sometimes have negative thoughts, but we have 2 kids; aged 1 and 2, so just look at is as doing all this hard work so they can have a better future.

Cheers,
Chris.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 1:51 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Almost 2 years in Tassie. Weather way better than Newcastle. It can get hot and the cold is not as bad as Newcastle not to mention the rain. Not been to the mainland yet but many people i have met here in Tassie love it here due to the seasons and the laid back life style. Plenty camping, fishing, hiking and 4x4ing to be had. Many tracks to drive through forests etc. I do more of this here than i ever did in the UK. And i was 47 when we applied for our sponsored visa. Did'nt think we would get it to be honest. But i have heard of others over 50 getting them but they were certain trades. So far we all love it here in Tassie and at times things have been tough, but you only live once.

Old Jun 7th 2009, 5:16 am

Howard Jenings is an unknown quantity at this point

We came out on 457 in Jan, I was 42 and my wife is 37 we have 3 kids aged 8, 2 and 10 months - it is best move we have evr made. We both quit full-time jobs in the UK and were both on very good salaries of 45k each, we now live off one wage - mine - and my wife stays at home and does some relief teaching.
Old Jun 7th 2009, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

I very nearly wrote about a mate of mine (43 YO) who was over in Brisbane from October to March 2008/09 and hated every minute of it (we skyped). I felt awful at one point because I was interrogating him about Aus at the same time he and his wife were very much depressed (poor empathy!!) and couldn't wait to return to the UK.
Yesterday I bumped in to him and bloody hell I couldn't believe it when he told me that he was returning to Brisbane
He didn't enjoy Aus because of a working problem but now that's resolved he can't wait to get back.