Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else think they're going mental?

Old Aug 16th 2003, 5:54 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone else think they're going mental?

Not long to go now but I can't wait to get there and start afresh. NewstartNZ - that was my original monicker (not ashamed of my doppel, Wilfo, just had to delete a few posts!) but it said it all. Looking forward to a new life in NZ.

We've luckily saved up a dollar or two through a lot of hard work. Enough to buy a modest house and a car. Well. I am a sad old fart of 40+ although my wife is still very young compared to me.

Going a bit mental? Not really. Luckily (hopefully) I'm mature enough at my age to take more than my fair share of wiping those boys' arses when they soil their nappies and grinning and getting on with it. Ie, I am down to earth.

But roll on September!

Can't wait to see what our new life in NZ will offer.

Good luck to all.
Old Aug 16th 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

what line of work are you in then don?

cheers

richard
Old Aug 16th 2003, 6:07 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by r.bartlett
what line of work are you in then don?

cheers

richard
Lately I am a house husband - good job my wife earns loadsamoney. But I am now an expert in nappies, good at keeping Junior/s very happy indeed ( they never cry more than a moment with me - it all boils down to: food, liquid, esp milk or juice, clean nappy, sleep, something else (eg mosquitos). Get these aspects right and you are the perfect house husband. Just like me!
Old Aug 16th 2003, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else think they're going mental?

I think waiting for the visa drove me a bit mental. From start to finish I was totally obsessed with the whole thing. The waiting is the killer living your life in limbo land. Thankgod we are through it and now have the visas stuck in our passports!!

mich
Old Aug 16th 2003, 7:09 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else think they're going mental?

No not me. Now wheres my camel

Gibber

Gibber

Drool

:scared: :scared:
Old Aug 16th 2003, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Losing this passport has driven me mental.

You know when you think you have put something somewhere and it isn't. Maybe I am mental and just think I have put it there.

I have also lost my faith in people. I have two suspects that could have pinched it. I really hope it is just lost, but you always have doubts.

At least I don't doubt that I want to go out there still!!

p.s Don - you sound like a good catch, if you ever get divorced send me a line I could do with a hubby like you!!
Old Aug 16th 2003, 9:12 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean "going" This whole process started Nov 2001, still no visa and crap with house sale, its enough to drive even the calmest people a bit menal, Is'nt it?????????:scared:
Old Aug 16th 2003, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point

The shippers are coming Monday and I definately went mental today!!!!!!!!!!! How many forgotton drawers full of bits of crap am I gonna find!

Roll on 6th September and a relaxing long haul flight without the kids! Pity the husband, he has to do the trip 3 weeks later with the little darlings! He will also go mental!

Karen

Old Aug 17th 2003, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

Karen, your husband's very brave! We've decided to get seats on either side of the plane when we go - our 2 kids are practically angels on their own, but put them together and they constantly wind one another up, they'll be able to see each other from time to time on the flight but be separate for most of it!
Old Aug 17th 2003, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jolyn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Don,

My hubbie's been out of work for a year now (own business, no clients) and really enjoying it. I quit work years back to renovate the house and was never keen on going back - can't stand all that clockwatching and tube squashing!

So...two workshy people plus toddler terror plus equity in the house = new life and career in Oz.

We're starting another business in Oz. This time from home, not many hours, low key. Just enough to pay the bills. We've got used to living on less esp if it means working less.

Our son has had a terrific time with his dad about full time. He's a fully qualified house husband now too. Certified toddler's personal chef, swing pusher, tickler, rough houser, nappy changer and head to toe sunscreen applier. Chief dishwasher stacker, breadmaker programmer, vacuumer and floor mopper too.

Mid-life crisis? Not really. Was never really into the 'live to work' thing ever.

Going bonkers with the house sale though. Roll on exchange...if it ever happens.

Have a great life in NZ Don!
Old Aug 17th 2003, 3:00 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by tinaj
Losing this passport has driven me mental.

You know when you think you have put something somewhere and it isn't. Maybe I am mental and just think I have put it there.

I have also lost my faith in people. I have two suspects that could have pinched it. I really hope it is just lost, but you always have doubts.

At least I don't doubt that I want to go out there still!!

p.s Don - you sound like a good catch, if you ever get divorced send me a line I could do with a hubby like you!!
I reckon it was the Bulgarian!

Thanks for the offer but I think I'm already lucky to have such a long-suffering wife...! (Even if she does have a strange idea of how many pairs of shoes and how many bags = sufficient.)
Old Aug 17th 2003, 3:03 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by Jolyn
Our son has had a terrific time with his dad about full time. He's a fully qualified house husband now too. Certified toddler's personal chef, swing pusher, tickler, rough houser, nappy changer and head to toe sunscreen applier. Chief dishwasher stacker, breadmaker programmer, vacuumer and floor mopper too.

Mid-life crisis? Not really. Was never really into the 'live to work' thing ever.

Going bonkers with the house sale though. Roll on exchange...if it ever happens.

Have a great life in NZ Don!
Good luck with the house sale! Sounds like you have a bit of spare time to think up sales strategies. (With husband doing all that...!)
Old Aug 18th 2003, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

nell m is an unknown quantity at this point

I take back what I said about my two being angels when they're on their own - my almost 3-year-old daughter today managed to find some scissors and take them to my herb garden and spider plant! they all look a bit sad now!!
Old Aug 18th 2003, 7:04 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

'Mental' is a relative term, and as such subject to ones perception of saneness.

A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad they will attck him, and say, "You are mad; you are not like us."
...St. Antony the Great.

Now, how do you get out of these bloody straight-jackets??

Last edited by chippy; Aug 18th 2003 at 8:33 pm.