Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else risking all? (NZ)

Anyone else risking all? (NZ)

Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

The Simpsons is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone else risking all? (NZ)

I'd be interested to know if anyone else is doing what we're doing!

Applying for NZ PR without enough points, but hoping to get a Job search Visa. But the scary bit is that we're selling up and taking the kids, with the hope that we'll get the vital job within the 6 months allowed on the JSV. Of course the ideal situation is to get a job offer prior to going out there, but I'm not relying on it.

Starting to get a bit aprehensive, and am trying to stay positive about the job finding (have agent to help!) but it is scary!!!

Who's doing the same? Or perhaps you've done it and got the job within the six months, or maybe didn't and had to come back!?

Karen
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else risking all? (NZ)

Originally posted by The Simpsons

Applying for NZ PR without enough points, but hoping to get a Job search Visa. But the scary bit is that we're selling up and taking the kids, with the hope that we'll get the vital job within the 6 months allowed on the JSV. Of course the ideal situation is to get a job offer prior to going out there, but I'm not relying on it.

Starting to get a bit aprehensive, and am trying to stay positive about the job finding (have agent to help!) but it is scary!!!

Who's doing the same? Or perhaps you've done it and got the job within the six months, or maybe didn't and had to come back!?

Karen
Best bet is Auckland. Leave the idyllic life till later. If you've been living in London, Auckland is easy. You might get a cleaning job quite quickly if that'll do it. Try shopwork for your husband - especially TV and electronics shops - if he hasn't got a trade they need. A lot of immos end up in those jobs. If these ideas seem pessimistic, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
Best bet is Auckland. Leave the idyllic life till later. If you've been living in London, Auckland is easy. You might get a cleaning job quite quickly if that'll do it. Try shopwork for your husband - especially TV and electronics shops - if he hasn't got a trade they need. A lot of immos end up in those jobs. If these ideas seem pessimistic, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Wilf, I was waiting to see how long it would be till you replied! I'd rather have some useful replies please as I've heard all your opinions already and they get a bit repetitive, so I would like to see if anyone else has anything to say!

Thanks anyway!
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilf, I was waiting to see how long it would be till you replied! I'd rather have some useful replies please as I've heard all your opinions already and they get a bit repetitive, so I would like to see if anyone else has anything to say!

Thanks anyway!
Well said!!!

WE are in a simular situation as yourselves. We have sold house (nearly) but haven't got our visa's yet. but we do have the all important job offer!

What trade are you in?
Tori
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Tori, I'm a graphic designer, working in magazine publishing, but have a varied portfolio so hoping for any design job really!

I've been told that there are jobs for me, but I need to be there!!! Same story for a lot of us I suspect.

I'm trying to stay positive, but it's hard. I'm jelous of your job offer! it must be a weight of your mind?

Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Tori, I'm a graphic designer, working in magazine publishing, but have a varied portfolio so hoping for any design job really!

I've been told that there are jobs for me, but I need to be there!!! Same story for a lot of us I suspect.

I'm trying to stay positive, but it's hard. I'm jelous of your job offer! it must be a weight of your mind?

We got the offer by searching yellow pages for Nz then narrowing down to the areas we wanted to go. Contacted the companies by email with cv attached and some personal info about when we hoped to be there and hey presto! However my husbands trade(carpenter) was on the skill shortage list so I guess this helped.

Good Luck Job hunting
Tori
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Must be jazz mags with your editing skills.
Off not of. Jealous not jelous.

You may get a job delivering magazines, but working on them? No. Get a bike.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilf try getting a life!
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by TIZUS
We got the offer by searching yellow pages for Nz then narrowing down to the areas we wanted to go. Contacted the companies by email with cv attached and some personal info about when we hoped to be there and hey presto! However my husbands trade(carpenter) was on the skill shortage list so I guess this helped.

Good Luck Job hunting
Tori
You are giving Bart false hope. Carpenters jobs? Yes, loads. Jobs for a 'varied portfolio'? Not likely. NZ will be glad he/she is considering 'any design job really'. Shame when 6 months have gone by and Dick Smith Electronics is the only chance.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:47 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Do u really think that people sit down at thier pc and worry about the grammer they use on a forum?

Also....you obviously have no idea what a graphic designer does... The clue is in the job title. Very few actually edit the text, and those that do generally prefer to be called editors....
Old Jun 5th 2003, 10:55 pm
Sun Dodger

Bluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really niceBluerobot is just really nice

Jazz mags! Brilliant. Haven't heard that one for years, since I was in the Mob.

Thanks for that Wilf, brought back some good memories. I don't suppose you were ever in the forces were you?

I don't care if loads of people on this forum say you're a w****r Wilf - I think you're ace - keep it up, but why not post in the Lounge eh & give some of these poor people a break

Dave
Old Jun 5th 2003, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Bluerobot
Jazz mags! Brilliant. Haven't heard that one for years, since I was in the Mob.

Thanks for that Wilf, brought back some good memories. I don't suppose you were ever in the forces were you?

I don't care if loads of people on this forum say you're a w****r Wilf - I think you're ace - keep it up, but why not post in the Lounge eh & give some of these poor people a break

Dave
No Dave, I wasn't in the forces but have known a few great lads that were. Do these people a favour and invade Oz soon will you? They'll need your help I think. England can keep the portfolio boys though. We've already got enough chalet maids down here.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by PeteY
Do u really think that people sit down at thier pc and worry about the grammer they use on a forum?

Also....you obviously have no idea what a graphic designer does... The clue is in the job title. Very few actually edit the text, and those that do generally prefer to be called editors....
That's the trouble with young people these days. They don't care about the basics. That's why the world's like it is - people not knowing a comma from a semicolon, or 'of' from 'off', and I am trying to get people to care. I was just speculating that Bart may well be up to checking the nipple count in The Truth paper but he will have to learn to spell before he can get on one of the VERY FEW graphic designer jobs in Nowheresville, NZ. We don't take any old loser downunder you know. He should stick to drawing speech bubbles in Bunty.
Old Jun 6th 2003, 2:44 am
Just Joined

wog_boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Karen

Well we made the big move , I had a job offer but my partner had to give up her job. I have to agree with some of the opinions raised here. Jobs are not that easy to come by and if you are competing with NZers you will have to be really really good.....this is from what I have seen happening here. Luckily I am in skill which is in demand, so not too much local competition. Different ball game for my partner doesnt matter how many BSc and MSc diplomas she holds, the demand is not there....so she is doing temp work, and I know of other cases in similar situations.

You should be able to get in touch with potential employers, and if they are not willing to offer you a job over the phone, fly out there to meet them in person, organise it so you meet a few and have a holiday at the same time, it will save a lot of grief.....
From what a hear builders, plumbers and similar trades are in demand, tell me a place were they are not....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.