Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else moving to Oz within the next 6 months and getting cold feet?

Anyone else moving to Oz within the next 6 months and getting cold feet?

Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

NomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really niceNomandNat is just really nice
Question Anyone else moving to Oz within the next 6 months and getting cold feet?

Hello BE people
Just wondered if there is anyone else moving to Oz in the next 6 months or so..................and getting cold feet? Its quite an emotional time getting things started for the big move.
Has anyone got any tips on what to take with them i.e. furniture, etc? We were thinking of just packing the basics plus any paperwork as it costs £ksss to send a half container..............
Please give me your tuppence on this and more if you like
Cheers
Nom & Nat
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone else moving to Oz within the next 6 months and getting cold feet?

Take the lot. You'll appreciate it when you get there and its pretty expensive to start again over here.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Anyone else moving to Oz within the next 6 months and getting cold feet?

We were in your position this time last year and yes, I got some cold feet too. I reckoned it was leaving familiarity that go to me most and wandering into a certain amount of uncertainty. Just remember your reasons for doing it in the first place and then crack on. You'll be fine. We moved here 6 months ago and haven't looked back thus far.

On the subject of shipping or buying, general consensus these days appears to be to ship your stuff - don't forget anything you save in not shipping will be eaten up in replacing things you've sold for a pittance (or chucked). We shipped a load of stuff on the basis that we couldn't have bought it all back again for the price it cost to ship it. If you think about it, it's a relative bargain to ship your junk to the other side of the world - I don't know about 6 grand for a dedicated container to send the contents of an average 3 bed house?? You'd never replace it all for that..... And presumably you'd be exchanging GBP?? -- it'll start to stack up.... Of course if you're minted then yeah, leave it all behind. I would have..

Just my two-penneth...

Good luck
Jim
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

We are moving to Australia in the next 6 months and it is only natural to have doubts. But those doubts never last long as I soon remember why we are moving.

The only things we are shipping is small house hold items with some meaning, like wedding presents or toys that really have some meaning for my son.

Our situation is a little different though as my wife is Australian and her family have been gathering and storing all sorts of things for us over the last year so when we get there we will have the basics and a little extra without the need for shipping or shopping.

But even if we didn't have family helping us out in Australia I am not sure we would have shipped everything. We haven't been living in one place long enough to gather together any furniture of real quality, there is nothing bigger than a plant pot that I am attached to and will miss. I am not sure shipping wardrobes that were bought from Argos and that are practically falling down anyway would be of much benefit. The furniture that we will be replacing it with that is already there for us is a better standard.

You could fit a house out in Australia for very little by raiding garage sales and auctions, you can find some quality items for very little. But I love that kind of thing, I really enjoy weekends looking around sales and auctions looking for bargains.

If you already know people in Australia and they are close enough to you to really help you out then ask them, you could save a fortune. I have promised more than a few beers to some people over there.

Last edited by Jon77; Sep 28th 2010 at 12:45 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:04 pm
Just Joined

corfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nicecorfu is just really nice

Originally Posted by NomandNat
Hello BE people
Just wondered if there is anyone else moving to Oz in the next 6 months or so..................and getting cold feet? Its quite an emotional time getting things started for the big move.
Has anyone got any tips on what to take with them i.e. furniture, etc? We were thinking of just packing the basics plus any paperwork as it costs £ksss to send a half container..............
Cheers
Nom & Nat
Hi Nom & Nat

Cold feet?? Mine are practically freezing!! We are going in only 8 weeks and I have done almost zilch. Despite that, it is happening, and if we hate it and don't settle in we will come back, end of. I have a 4 year old to consider and I am not convinced by the education system out there.

I am not burning any bridges here, house will be rented hopefully so bricks and mortar always here. However, regarding costs, we are lucky cos OH has job lined up on a 457 temp visa for 4 years so we have a small relocation package to cover costs of shipping and flights.

What is giving you cold feet at the mo? Is it leaving family or leaving the status quo and going into the unexpected?

Have you been to oz before? Where are you planning to settle?

We have got the sole use of a 20ft container for £3652 (best quote with John Mason) and only 80% is filled, am having to think of things to buy to fill it!

Just sit down and think about your reasons for going and all the benefits you imagine it will bring. You have six months to get organised, just do some research and be prepared.

Hope you make the right decision for your situation.

Carmella
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Feet are freezing at the mo.... Meant to be flying out in 3.5 weeks and 457 still not finalised.... Having many sleepless nights checking internet!!!!
Nervous about leaving friends ... Family will visit....
We are taking everything 6k for 40 ft container. It is being paid by company so only have to pay to bring back... Guess I'll leave the argos wardrobes there...the only problem is cost of buying basics until container arrives...also have got 3 & 5 year olds xmas pressies on the ship so may have some explaining to do.... Fingers crossed it goes a week monday..

Good luck enjoy the time preparing... And yes cold feet normal!!!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:12 pm
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

I leave in less than 2 weeks. The house is empty and I've started having the leaving parties. I am bricking it now
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Yes i defo have cold feet... at times! Shippers are due next Monday/Tuesday and if we exchange Thursday as planned, me and my boys will be on our way before next weekend STILL cant actually believe its happening after years of dreaming about it. OH will be at the airport to meet us which keeps me going, but i have to say the thought of saying goodbye to my mum at Heathrow and then boarding a plane with my 8 and 5 year (I am petrified of flying) makes me want to cry now!
Good Luck
Emma
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emma75
Yes i defo have cold feet... at times! Shippers are due next Monday/Tuesday and if we exchange Thursday as planned, me and my boys will be on our way before next weekend STILL cant actually believe its happening after years of dreaming about it. OH will be at the airport to meet us which keeps me going, but i have to say the thought of saying goodbye to my mum at Heathrow and then boarding a plane with my 8 and 5 year (I am petrified of flying) makes me want to cry now!
Good Luck
Emma
I empathise with everyone's comments - especially those with children.

It's natural to feel like that I think. Emma, maybe it would be best to say your goodbyes at the house - I think I'll have to do that as it would be just too much for me at the airport.

Wishing all of you well!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:13 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NomandNat
Hello BE people
Cheers
Nom & Nat
big socks

sorry couldnt resist
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:12 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Been having a read here .... funny to think we were also feeling like this only 3 months ago Not sure now where the time has gone!! Cold feet are a natural part of the process I reckon ..... The last few days for us were manic - now though, we are already so settled and feel as though we have always been here. We said all our goodbyes before leaving for the airport and that was bad enough - don't think any of us could've dealt with this at the airport. Regarding what to bring...?.... I would definitely advise bringing the lot. We were also undecided at first and had quotes to do both - we decided to bring three quarters of the stuff but now wished we had just brought it all. We still spent a fair bit here buying white goods and bits and bobs and while I found the prices similar to the UK, we could've saved ourselves money by putting it all in the container. When you work it out - it is far cheaper to pay a little more to put extra in the container. Good luck with your plans
Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:27 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
Feet are freezing at the mo.... Meant to be flying out in 3.5 weeks and 457 still not finalised.... Having many sleepless nights checking internet!!!!

Good luck enjoy the time preparing... And yes cold feet normal!!!

I can sympathise. we moved out just over 3 years ago, and the container was on its way, one way flights booked, house sold. Just missing one thing. A visa

I cant remember how fine we cut it, but it was less than a week.

Luckily no cold feet, we were so ready to get on with a new chapter in our lives. Good luck everybody that are on the last stretch before migrating. We havent looked back.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

You were brave to go ahead without the visa....

our case officer is on holiday and not back til next tuesday ........ so that will make it 5 weeks and 1 day.....

hubby needs to give 4 weeks notice so looks like date set back til 29th Oct for flying-- still want container to go at the same time as if any later it will reach us dead on christmas when I am sure everything shuts down totally. so we will have 6 days to get ready for packers...
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:00 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heldownunder
You were brave to go ahead without the visa....

our case officer is on holiday and not back til next tuesday ........ so that will make it 5 weeks and 1 day.....

hubby needs to give 4 weeks notice so looks like date set back til 29th Oct for flying-- still want container to go at the same time as if any later it will reach us dead on christmas when I am sure everything shuts down totally. so we will have 6 days to get ready for packers...
Try to send the container ahead of yourselves. You should be able to borrow campbeds, chairs or whatever you might need in the UK to tide you over, and it means you will have more chance of sitting on your own furniture at xmas and not garden furniture and sleeping on a mattress on the floor

Also, finding both furnished rentals (get booked out quickly because of school hols) & unfurnished around that time get a bit harder.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

We came to Singapore 13 years ago with hardly anything - a few boxes.

Now de-cluttering/selling/giving away stuff to fit into a 20foot container.

Having de-cluttered 16 (small) boxes of books/CDs/DVDs I've just counted what's left and the remaining books/CDs/DVDs would cost about $30,000 to replace. And that's before I start on the rest of the stuff.

So we're sending as much as we can fit in.

(Just wish we could put our cats in too, as they're coming but they're costing as much as the container to send).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.