Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else leaving for Adelaide in June

Anyone else leaving for Adelaide in June

Old May 3rd 2008, 5:14 am
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone else leaving for Adelaide in June

Originally Posted by Mitra and Ahura
Hello Karen and Mark,

Its true only time will tell really. We really have no idea what to expect except that the beaches are beautiful and its cheaper to buy and rent property. Its important to be optimistic I think. We didnt really chose Adelaide but are going on state sponsored Visa so we didnt really have much choice! It is reasurring to know that you actually chose Adelaide out of other places in OZ so it must be doing something right!
Hi there

If it makes you feel any better, we came on a 136 so weren't tied to any one place. We visited Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney and ended up in Brisbane which is where we'd expected to stay but we'd fallen in love with Adelaide on the way and arranged pretty quickly to come back here. Been here since the end of last November and absolutely love it. There are gorgeous beaches, beautiful villages in the hills, plenty of great cellar doors, great food and the city itself is fantastic - big, open roads, loads of trees and parks. The people we've met so far have been very friendly too, not just the expats although without them it would have been a much scarier thing to do but also the Aussies. I'm sure people will say the same about other cities but my point is that even if Adelaide wasn't necessarily your choice, it is a fantastic place and you'll love it
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

mark2 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Mitra and Ahura;6301102]Hello Karen and Mark,

Its true only time will tell really. We really have no idea what to expect except that the beaches are beautiful and its cheaper to buy and rent property. Its important to be optimistic I think. We didnt really chose Adelaide but are going on state sponsored Visa so we didnt really have much choice! It is reasurring to know that you actually chose Adelaide out of other places in OZ so it must be doing something right!

We have applied for temporary accomodation and are waiting to hear from them, hopefully it will be sorted when we arrive. Have you also requested this service? There is also a meet and greet service.

May I ask, what were your reasons for wishing to leave england for Australia? Whose idea was it first? What are your fears, if you have any!

Hi, thanx for the positive reply pinkienice to see We did apply for the accommodation but are traveling around for 3 weeks before we arrive in Adelaide n needed to know we had accommodation before we set off, so i booked 4 weeks short term in Glenelg it was probably bit more expensive but at least we know we have a bedWe booked the meet n greet thoughMark has an uncle who lives in Canberra, he came over afew times n we chatted to him, then we have friends who made the leap n we started looking into it seriously couple of years ago. Our main reasons for leaving England are that we have two boys and its hard to see a future for them here ie jobs, housing market, crime, teenage drinking:curse: the list is endless. We know that aus has its problems also but hope their lives will be better over there Other reasons must be the weather, way of life n just fresh start really I dont know about you but i feel its like being on a roller coaster at the mo, we go from being really excited to thinking oh my god what are we doing but am sure everyone must feel like thatOur main fear must be that we get decent jobs, Marks an electrician, but like you said you have to be optimistic n just get on with it Mark n Karen.
]
Old May 3rd 2008, 1:28 pm
Forum Regular

Mitra and Ahura is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Pinkie for such a great positive reply! I feel so much more optimism now. It is quite scary moving somewhere you really know nothing about so your commnets certainly helped. it does sound lovely from your description. I suposse if we dont like it we can always move somewhere else in oz after two years so cant go wrong really. I'm glad you are happy living in Adelaide and it all worked out well for you.

Hi Karen, I think travelling around before you settle is a great idea!
Thanks for explaining your reasons for moving. although I am 26 and have no children it has always worried me what it would be like to raise them here when i do. There is so much crime here and although I love London for so many reasons I also think that when I do want to start a family I would rather be somewhere child friendly and safer. Also, I belive living in australia allows you to have a more fulfilled family life. Its nice to know that as it is cheaper, it is possible to raise a family on one income rather than me having to work hard to make ends meet and not being able to raise my children at home when they are young.

Working life in London is so hectic and I really cant understand how some women work 9 to 5 and still have the time and energy to wake up earlier to feed and wash the children, take them to a creche, then work all day, commute home for an hour in rush hour crushed against peoples smelly armpits on the tube, pick up the children, come home exhausted and have time to feed everyone again and clean the house and then sleep for 6 hours and do it all again the next day!! sorry to rant but this is my observation of what itis like for working mothers in London as its is such an expensive place to live. Where is the time for bonding with your family?!!

This is what makes me think that there is so much more to life.

On a completely different note, can anybody tell me what the nightlife is like in adelaide? We googled it once and the first thing that came up was a photo of an old man with a beard in sunglasses playing a trombone!!

Mitra

Old May 3rd 2008, 1:38 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Pinkie for such a great positive reply! I feel so much more optimism now. It is quite scary moving somewhere you really know nothing about so your commnets certainly helped. it does sound lovely from your description. I suposse if we dont like it we can always move somewhere else in oz after two years so cant go wrong really. I'm glad you are happy living in Adelaide and it all worked out well for you.

Hi Karen, I think travelling around before you settle is a great idea!
Thanks for explaining your reasons for moving. although I am 26 and have no children it has always worried me what it would be like to raise them here when i do. There is so much crime here and although I love London for so many reasons I also think that when I do want to start a family I would rather be somewhere child friendly and safer. Also, I belive living in australia allows you to have a more fulfilled family life. Its nice to know that as it is cheaper, it is possible to raise a family on one income rather than me having to work hard to make ends meet and not being able to raise my children at home when they are young.

Working life in London is so hectic and I really cant understand how some women work 9 to 5 and still have the time and energy to wake up earlier to feed and wash the children, take them to a creche, then work all day, commute home for an hour in rush hour crushed against peoples smelly armpits on the tube, pick up the children, come home exhausted and have time to feed everyone again and clean the house and then sleep for 6 hours and do it all again the next day!! sorry to rant but this is my observation of what itis like for working mothers in London as its is such an expensive place to live. Where is the time for bonding with your family?!!

This is what makes me think that there is so much more to life.

On a completely different note, can anybody tell me what the nightlife is like in adelaide? We googled it once and the first thing that came up was a photo of an old man with a beard in sunglasses playing a trombone!!

Mitra

Try here..........
http://www.adelaidebound.com/
Its great ,.............mm
Old May 3rd 2008, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark2
[Our main fear must be that we get decent jobs, Marks an electrician, but like you said you have to be optimistic n just get on with it Mark n Karen.
My OH is an Electrician too, he had no trouble getting a job once he was licenced. If you need any help with that please feel free to give me a shout and I'll guide you through the process

Mitra

I like the nightlife here, we don't go out all that much but we make up for that when we do.
Old May 4th 2008, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Lettik is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Looking at the last few posts - what are the seasons by the way??? I take it our mid summer in UK is mid winter in Aus???? here in Ireland its mid winter all year round!:curse:

Couple of questions......
1) what are the school terms and what holidays do they have?

2) Electricity: what is the plug system, voltage and will electrical stuff I have here be worth bringing over or should I buy again?

3) Is there an Adelaide real estate agent who would act on our behalf and get a rental place before we arrive?

second part of this question is we will arrive late November/early December do things "wind down" around the xmas time like over here, or is it not such a big deal Oz side -i.e in setting up home and having to set up utilities,etc in time before anyone winds sown type of question.....

4) Do anyone already in Adelaide know of a facility to store our shipment when it arrives for a few months?

Ok, think thats all my questions for the moment.......!!
Old May 4th 2008, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Lettik is an unknown quantity at this point

Me again!!! getting all excited reading your posts!! We didnt choose Adelaide either (infact we;ve never set foot in OZ) but it sounds like the type of place we'd like to hang out. We are pretty easy going and not into huge cities, so have a good feeling about Adelaide. Delighted there are a few of ye going before us (Nov) - ye can all come meet and greet us at the ariport!!!

Flying: We are Brits currently living in Cork Ireland. Where is the best, cheapest (I know this isn't necessarily the best option mind you...) route to Adelaide to take? Out of Ireland we'll prob have to go through the UK anyway.

Secondly: open ended return flight or one way?? not planning on returning any time soon, but.....
Old May 4th 2008, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lettik
Hi guys,

Looking at the last few posts - what are the seasons by the way??? I take it our mid summer in UK is mid winter in Aus???? here in Ireland its mid winter all year round!:curse:
The seasons are basically the reverse of the UK here, but the weather is nothing like In summer it can get up to 40/43 degrees, it's a dry heat so no humidity like you would get in QLD etc. In winter it can get as low as zero over night, usually around 15 during the day - it can feel cold though so sometimes you really need to wrap up.

Couple of questions......
1) what are the school terms and what holidays do they have?
They have four terms of 12 weeks with 2 weeks off in between, and they get 6 weeks off at Christmas. http://www.dete.sa.gov.au/custserve/...fault/pubhols/

2) Electricity: what is the plug system, voltage and will electrical stuff I have here be worth bringing over or should I buy again?
Same voltage etc, different plugs - and there are no fuses in the plugs here. We brought a few adaptors to use with UK plugs until we could replace them.

3) Is there an Adelaide real estate agent who would act on our behalf and get a rental place before we arrive?
Not really, you may be lucky and get somewhere but it's a long shot. If you have any mates over here that know your taste then maybe they could look for you one. A lot of people use the SA On Arrival Accomodation if they can get it, link to that here: http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit..._onarrival.php
second part of this question is we will arrive late November/early December do things "wind down" around the xmas time like over here, or is it not such a big deal Oz side -i.e in setting up home and having to set up utilities,etc in time before anyone winds sown type of question.....
It's not as in your face here, but things do wind down at the end of November slightly. Things like finding a job will be hard at that time of year. Setting up utilities can take a few weeks regardless of whether it's xmas or not

4) Do anyone already in Adelaide know of a facility to store our shipment when it arrives for a few months?
Can't help with shipping questions as we sold everything and started again
Old May 4th 2008, 10:57 am
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Well guys we have been here just over 2 weeks and we are totally loving it........even the weather has been very good to us, had a few says of rain but now its been low to mid 20s not bad for autumn...

If you have a spare 10 mins and a nice long drink read our update.......its hilarious.

Also if anyone wants to see some pics then check me out on facebook.....pm me and i will give you my name.......its so lush here...........just moved into our long term rental it to is lush....

Keep the faith guys.........and let me tell you its so worth all the blood, sweat, tears and stress.......

Tc

KOH
Old May 4th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lettik

Flying: We are Brits currently living in Cork Ireland. Where is the best, cheapest (I know this isn't necessarily the best option mind you...) route to Adelaide to take? Out of Ireland we'll prob have to go through the UK anyway.

Secondly: open ended return flight or one way?? not planning on returning any time soon, but.....
can fly direct to oz from dublin with eitihad airways - change in abu dhabi - lands in sydney and/or brisbane i think, but can get a cheap connecting flight to adelaide from there. alternative is to go via the US with aer lingus, again tho i think you would need to change in oz to get to adelaide. if you want to avoid heathrow but are ok to go from another uk city then singapore airlines fly direct to adelaide from manchester

open ended return - can't be for longer than a year so if you aren't planning a trip back within a year i would go for one way
Old May 5th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Lettik,

How exciting for you to go somewhere you have ever even stepped foot it! Ahura has been to OZ a few times but I have never been so I know how you must feel! Life is all about taking a few risks and stepping into the unknown!

I think its a good idea to book a return flight if you are planning to come back to visit within a year. BA allow you to change the return time for only £50 so its definetely worth it. I dont really think a one way is much cheaper than a return anyway so its nice to have the option of returning at some point.

Check with the different airlines the prices for one way or return and the prices to change the return dates.

Does anyone have any tips on surviving a 24 hour flight?! I am not looking forward to it!
Old May 5th 2008, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Only thing about getting a return ticket is that you may not get the extra baggage allowance - something to check maybe?
Old May 5th 2008, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

JP100UK is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Ozzy Fever
Just wondering if anyone else is leaving the UK for Adelaide in June.

We leave Heathrow on 15th June at 18.30pm with Singapore Airlines anyone else on this flight or going in June?
Hi we are leaving Heathrow on the 15th June, but we don't fly until 10pm Malasian airlines. Not sure when we will get to Heathrow, as I think we may have problems with family letting us go.

Julie, Damian, Jamie-Leigh(5)
Old May 5th 2008, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Only thing about getting a return ticket is that you may not get the extra baggage allowance - something to check maybe?

We booked a return and have been told by the airline that we can have extra baggage allowance. 35 pound more and we get an extra 35 kilos or so.

Hi JP100UK,

We are also flying out on the 15th from heathrow but at 21.30. we may bump into you in the airport! we are flying BA but have heard that Malaisian Airlines are a very good 5 star airline.

I know how hard it is leaving family behind, I am trying not to even think about saying goodbyes.
Old May 5th 2008, 11:21 pm
Playing the game

Pinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the roughPinkie is a jewel in the rough

I think Wendy will have been referring to the free extra baggage, on a one way ticket with an unvalidated visa you get 40KGs free. Which sounds great until you have to lug it round at this end!! If you're paying extra that is fine, I am currently looking at booking our first trip back to the UK for a visit and it's way more expensive to book from here than it was from the UK so if you can work round a return you'll probably save money in the end.

With saying goodbye at the airport, I would highly recommend not doing. We stayed at the Travelodge at Manchester the night before we flew and said our goodbyes the night before, had a meal and all that and spent some time together. There is a thread somewhere I started about that and people seemed to be of the same opinion overall. The airport is stressful enough with security, crowds etc without adding tearful relatives and the trauma of saying goodbye to loved ones.

It was still horrible, don't get me wrong but in the morning we woke up and got ourselves together and got on the flight with adventure on our minds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.