Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else leaving for Adelaide in June

Anyone else leaving for Adelaide in June

Old Jun 28th 2008, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Anyone else leaving for Adelaide in June

hi from the other side
so its been 2 weeks since we arrived in adelaide and it feels so much longer - in a good way -.
we arranged the meet and greet service and were taken to our 3 week holiday home in morpett vale. the
house is lovely and is seems a good location to get too and from to explore.
Liz who owns the house we are renting also was our meet and greet and took us to a cheerful little car hire place to get us a cheap rental
to get us around for a week, which it did in fairness, although there were a few extra sqeeks than you could be happy with but for £75 for the week it did us proud.LOLx
would reccommend liz and nick who own kp rentals as any smallest thing we
have needed to know they have helped us with & nothing is too much trouble - thankyou xx

The first couple of days were a bit of a blur as I was waking up at 5/6am and needing to go back to bed by 5pm I was shatterd G and the kids seemed to be better.

We mooched around the local shopping centre and got a few bits on the saturday and started the rental search on the sunday where, still with jet lag, were greeted with a very 'unhappy because we are english immigrants trying to rent a house'realater from Happy Vally who wouldnt give us the time of day and we were advised by him that we will not find it easy to get a longer term rental as all the people before us have not done us any favours as they have broken leases etc - this damped our exciting new journey for that day but thankfully he has been the only sullen person we have met.
Everyone seems so much friendlier which makes you smile.

Cant remember what day but we drove down to victor harbour to have a look what was where.Victor Harbour is a lovely place and it didnt take much time to get there at all and found an activity park that we will return too when its a little warmer down there.
driving back we went via Mclaren Vale and from first looking my reaction was 'I want to buy here'. it looks a nice towny place but less busy even compared to morpettvale,reynella and woodcroft areas which i was origionally researching as longer term rental areas when i was in the uk but until you get here you dont really know what places are like.

on tuesday we went back to Mclaren Vale real estate agents to get their rental lists and the lady at one offered us her
rental house if we liked it. we drove to look at it and agreed to rent it and are at present living between two houses and our shipped stuff
is arriving on monday.YAY!

we will be living in moana so been doing quite a bit of driving round.Drove form moana to holiday rental with no sat nav tonight!!and its sooo dark
kids started moana primary last monday and seem to enjoy it so thats one thing sorted now. need to get them into a football/soccor training and was
advised by the lady at bunnings they do it at seaford rec centre??

most stuff bought now and lots of monies spent but we should be set up for the next 10 years.

we Would highly reccommend Kia on south road too for buying a car.Liz reccommeded to go there and from our experience and comparing it to another we bought the second car from and lots of car sale places, they have the best with customer service and are the friendliest sales staff no hard sell tatics but brews and a chat about everything but lol x the other car sales place (in the city) wasnt half as proffessional and came with us for test drive!
and now have noticed that the brakes kinda squeek although the history say that they were fully changed only 8 months ago? another monday job!also booking it in with kia for a valet as there is still what seems like dog hair in it runs okay apart form that and its a manual.

We went to Cleland wildlife park last sunday before the kids started school as they have been a bit bored with all the shopping and they needed to
be cheered up. there is only so much looking at beds and fridges a small child can take.They loved it.Feeding the kangaroos and holding the koala.
they were fascinated, especially connor, with the snakes as it was feeding time on the sunday so he intently watched as they pounced and devowered
the rather large mice.got the year pass as they are keen to go back.

got the boring mandatory medicare & family assist forms done, driving licences changed, internet set up and p.o box bought for now.The days seemed to have
run away from us and am enjoying adelaide so so far so good. just need to get jobs now and make some friends

sorry to have waffled, and have a good journey to all those who are arriving soon.

kath xx
Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:08 am
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone else leaving for Adelaide in June

Originally Posted by kjc79
hi from the other side
so its been 2 weeks since we arrived in adelaide and it feels so much longer - in a good way -.
we arranged the meet and greet service and were taken to our 3 week holiday home in morpett vale. the
Liz who owns the house we are renting also was our meet and greet and took us to a cheerful little car hire place to get us a cheap rental
to get us around for a week, which it did in fairness, although there were a few extra sqeeks than you could be happy with but for £75 for the week it did us proud.LOLx
have needed to know they have helped us with & nothing is too much trouble - thankyou xx

The first couple of days were a bit of a blur as I was waking up at 5/6am and needing to go back to bed by 5pm I was shatterd G and the kids seemed to be better.

We mooched around the local shopping centre and got a few bits on the saturday and started the rental search on the sunday where, still with jet lag, were greeted with a very 'unhappy because we are english immigrants trying to rent a house'realater from Happy Vally who wouldnt give us the time of day and we were advised by him that we will not find it easy to get a longer term rental as all the people before us have not done us any favours as they have broken leases etc - this damped our exciting new journey for that day but thankfully he has been the only sullen person we have met.

Cant remember what day but we drove down to victor harbour to have a look what was where.Victor Harbour is a lovely place and it didnt take much time to get there at all and found an activity park that we will return too when its a little warmer down there.
driving back we went via Mclaren Vale and from first looking my reaction was 'I want to buy here'. it looks a nice towny place but less busy even compared to morpettvale,reynella and woodcroft areas which i was origionally researching as longer term rental areas when i was in the uk but until you get here you dont really know what places are like.

on tuesday we went back to Mclaren Vale real estate agents to get their rental lists and the lady at one offered us her
rental house if we liked it. we drove to look at it and agreed to rent it and are at present living between two houses and our shipped stuff

we will be living in moana so been doing quite a bit of driving round.Drove form moana to holiday rental with no sat nav tonight!!and its sooo dark
kids started moana primary last monday and seem to enjoy it so thats one thing sorted now. need to get them into a football/soccor training and was

most stuff bought now and lots of monies spent but we should be set up for the next 10 years.

we Would highly reccommend Kia on south road too for buying a car.Liz reccommeded to go there and from our experience and comparing it to another we bought the second car from and lots of car sale places, they have the best with customer service and are the friendliest sales staff no hard sell tatics but brews and a chat about everything but lol x the other car sales place (in the city) wasnt half as proffessional and came with us for test drive!
and now have noticed that the brakes kinda squeek although the history say that they were fully changed only 8 months ago? another monday job!also booking it in with kia for a valet as there is still what seems like dog hair in it runs okay apart form that and its a manual.

We went to Cleland wildlife park last sunday before the kids started school as they have been a bit bored with all the shopping and they needed to
be cheered up. there is only so much looking at beds and fridges a small child can take.They loved it.Feeding the kangaroos and holding the koala.
they were fascinated, especially connor, with the snakes as it was feeding time on the sunday so he intently watched as they pounced and devowered

got the boring mandatory medicare & family assist forms done, driving licences changed, internet set up and p.o box bought for now.The days seemed to have
run away from us and am enjoying adelaide so so far so good. just need to get jobs now and make some friends

sorry to have waffled, and have a good journey to all those who are arriving soon.

kath xx
gooday mate, see you on the other side (we are considering moving next door so you cant get rid of us now ha ha ha )
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ozzieclare2b
gooday mate, see you on the other side (we are considering moving next door so you cant get rid of us now ha ha ha )
LOL x

thats perfect for the hubbies to kid sit whilst we enjoy the wine. haha

have a good journey and see you soon. txt us when you arrive hon when are you due to start work?

kath x
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:24 pm
looking for my marbles

ozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to beholdozzieclare2b is a splendid one to behold

LOL x

thats perfect for the hubbies to kid sit whilst we enjoy the wine. haha

have a good journey and see you soon. txt us when you arrive hon when are you due to start work?

kath x
i start 4th august hun s a whole month to get sorted hope the weathers good its raining here in bury
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

i start 4th august hun s a whole month to get sorted hope the weathers good its raining here in bury
the weather is mainly dry rained on a couple of days and last night but yesterday it was that cold i had to put a cardy on!!

even though its not hot (with it being winter n'all before anyone has a sarcy comment LOL) its certainly not cold. are you at the hotel airport tonight?

kath x
Old Jul 1st 2008, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud of

hi from the other side

kath xx
Great to here you have settled in, send us a PM if you fancy meeting up as we are not far from you and we only arrived 2 weeks ago as well!!!

Nicky
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ozzy Fever
Great to here you have settled in, send us a PM if you fancy meeting up as we are not far from you and we only arrived 2 weeks ago as well!!!

Nicky
yeah that would be good have pm'd you

kath x
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Mitra and Ahura is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi hun thatnks for the info. wow so glad there is gluten free stuff everywhere as i have coeliac disease and eating out in uk can be a nightmare!! We arrive nxt wednesday and are staying in henley beach so not far from yourselves. Hoping to look around the eastern burbs ourselves to begin with.
I am a bit of a health junkie so I was very happy about the gluten free stuff. its literally everywhere! You will love Henley Beach. We went there yesterday and its stunning. THe beach is beautiful and there are nice cafes and beautiful houses along the beachside. The Eastern burbs are meant to be a very good area, lots of families and schools and golf courses etc. THe one place we have been warned about is ELizabeth. its meant to be the roughest area of Adelaode. When I look in the newspapers the articles on crime are all in Elizabeth. I warn thee people. Stay away!

Thank you Wendy for the welcome and for offering your help. Money wold be good but we are actually looking for a cheap washing machine! We have just moved into our place and are busy furnishing it and the only thing left to buy is a washing machine. If you know of any bargains let us know!

Good luck to everyone who has been in Adelaide for a couple of weeks like us. Its can be stressful trying to sort everything out and the weather isnt great but try and look forward to the summer in a few months where everything livens up and there are festivals and we can hit the beach!

I will update soon

Mitra xxxxx
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

hi from the other side

kath xx
Hi Kath, Welcome to Adelaide,
We have also only been here two weeks. It sounds like you have got a lot done in these two weeks. You are so lucky to find a temporary rental for 75 a week! WHat internet provider have you used? We are looking to set up internet but dont want to get tied down to a 24 month contract.

I will also look into Kia for buying a car as we desperately need a car here to get around. Are the prices quite cheap? We had hired a van for the last few days and become so used to having a set of wheels that we dont want to give it back tomorrow!

Let me know if you need help with anything.

Mitra xxx
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 1:57 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitra and Ahura
I am a bit of a health junkie so I was very happy about the gluten free stuff. its literally everywhere! You will love Henley Beach. We went there yesterday and its stunning. THe beach is beautiful and there are nice cafes and beautiful houses along the beachside. The Eastern burbs are meant to be a very good area, lots of families and schools and golf courses etc. THe one place we have been warned about is ELizabeth. its meant to be the roughest area of Adelaode. When I look in the newspapers the articles on crime are all in Elizabeth. I warn thee people. Stay away!

Thank you Wendy for the welcome and for offering your help. Money wold be good but we are actually looking for a cheap washing machine! We have just moved into our place and are busy furnishing it and the only thing left to buy is a washing machine. If you know of any bargains let us know!

Good luck to everyone who has been in Adelaide for a couple of weeks like us. Its can be stressful trying to sort everything out and the weather isnt great but try and look forward to the summer in a few months where everything livens up and there are festivals and we can hit the beach!

I will update soon

Mitra xxxxx
What a load of CRAP , Elizabeth is one of the best areas in SA .
People look after one another , Un like the rest of Adelaide ...........mm
Old Jul 4th 2008, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mr mover
What a load of CRAP , Elizabeth is one of the best areas in SA .
People look after one another , Un like the rest of Adelaide ...........mm
Ok then! I hope you are not saying that what I have written is crap. I am only saying what I have been told. Sorry if that information offended you. When we moved down here we wanted to be sure we didnt move to any dodgy areas because we had no idea about anything here, so we asked around. We were told that Elizabeth is not exactly the best area of Adelaide by the tourist information guide in the city centre, by 2 Aussies we have met, by a cab driver and also by a policeman when he was telling us what areas have the most crime. Also when i hear about crime in the news it is mainly in Elizabeth. Also I noticed house prices were a lot cheaper there which is usually the case when the location is not that great. If you like Elizabeth then thats great, its good to hear good feedback too, Im only going with with what the majority of people I have asked think. You have to be sure when moving to a new place that you do your research and ask around. Also people have differnent Ideas about what makes a "good area" so even though others may think its dodgyville you obviously like it and that good for you!
Old Jul 4th 2008, 5:05 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitra and Ahura
Ok then! I hope you are not saying that what I have written is crap. I am only saying what I have been told. Sorry if that information offended you. When we moved down here we wanted to be sure we didnt move to any dodgy areas because we had no idea about anything here, so we asked around. We were told that Elizabeth is not exactly the best area of Adelaide by the tourist information guide in the city centre, by 2 Aussies we have met, by a cab driver and also by a policeman when he was telling us what areas have the most crime. Also when i hear about crime in the news it is mainly in Elizabeth. Also I noticed house prices were a lot cheaper there which is usually the case when the location is not that great. If you like Elizabeth then thats great, its good to hear good feedback too, Im only going with with what the majority of people I have asked think. You have to be sure when moving to a new place that you do your research and ask around. Also people have differnent Ideas about what makes a "good area" so even though others may think its dodgyville you obviously like it and that good for you!
And most of these people you speak to have never been north of Gepps Cross, and rely on hearsay and inuendo, do your self a favour and go and visit Elizabeth, and make up your own mind.
Ok it has its bad areas but so does, Glenelg ,Adelaides drug capital.......there are far worse areas in South Australia, than Elizabeth go for a walk around Mansfield park one night Home of the" gang of 49" and see if you survive or Huntsfield hights " Down south" ................mm
Old Jul 4th 2008, 12:50 pm
looking for my marbles

Hi peeps we are here!!! 3 days and we have a house to rent witha pool in seaford, not where we thought we would go but its just lovely down south . house is 2 streets from beach too!!!

Also bought a car so we wait for furniture to arrive next week. Everything a bit of a whirlwind so far but adelaide is stunning in places, west is not what i imagined too built up so dont want to live there now. Cant wait to start getting out and about more
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:46 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Big hi to all who've just arrived,
we've only been here 3mths but if we can help please let us know....
we are in Seaford...
Old Jul 6th 2008, 2:54 am
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

North and South divide here is like the UK N v's S divide, very emotional topic.

We looked up north, saw some lovely places but just decided 'our dream' was living by the beaches.
Up North is more built up, imo, it has rougher areas, as does the South, more trouble is reported on the news from the northern suburbs but then we have a had pretty bad 'bikie' trouble down in the south too.
We have yet to find an area as rough as Moss Side-Manchester, Manor Park in Sheffield etc, but then they too have got nicer bits...

Pick any area the world over with a high unemployment rate and you'll hear bad about it!

Adelaide itself is a lovely slow paced clean happy friendly (at the mo Green) place and we are totally happy with the place we call HOME.