Anyone else jumped the gun??

Wikiposts

Anyone else jumped the gun??

Old Mar 24th 2003, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

jambo_g is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Anyone else jumped the gun??

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone was in the same sort of situation whereby you have sold your house, handed in your resignation, etc etc without actually getting your visa??

On the letter I recently got from the migration unit requesting more info it said "we strongly advise against you taking any irreversible action during the procesing of youir application (such as leaving your employment, purchasing airline tickets, or selling your property) until and unless it has been confirmed that your visa has been granted".

I'm sure this is a standard letter, but it certainly made me get the old scary goosebumps

Practically we had to sell our house, because on the fiance visa we are applying for, we only have nine months to get into the country and get married. What if the house sale had taken forever?? (It didn't it took a week and a half pheeew )

Has anyone else jumped the gun??

Any thoughts??

Graham
Old Mar 24th 2003, 1:48 am
Moose on the Move

moosifer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup - I jack in my job on 30 May, my house is up for sale and I don't have a PR visa.

I do however have a working holiday visa, so I'm definitely going to Aus for at least a year!

If I can't get into Aus permanently then I'll just go and live up north in the UK, as I hate it in London
Old Mar 24th 2003, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

jambo_g is an unknown quantity at this point

I was banking on getting a years working visa as a back-up incase my fiance visa fell through, but having read about the years visa more closely it would appear that I am uneligble as I have a dependant!!

If it all falls through then it will be three months tourist visa and a wedding!! Followed by a brief stint in the UK then a partner visa application!!

Graham
Old Mar 24th 2003, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

pickletheplacid is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from the whole effect of living in limbo, i.e. not having any motivation at work, therefore missing any opportunity for promotion, not buying anything fancy (scare it will brake in the export), signing anything that has a 1 year contract etc - the only thing we are about to do (in May/ June) is sell our house.

The main reason is we want the move to Australia to go ASAP, but the other being the worry about the housing market - We'll bank the money and sit tight now - thank you very much, We can then also start planning how much to spend the other end.

I wouldn't go as far as to hand in my resignation. Mainly because there is no need, it's not law to work out your notice and in most cases the company will try to accommodate you if you tell them the situation you're in (i.e. I need to leave the country in two weeks) and one of the most important things everyone needs to be doing when approaching immigration is saving money, I've cut right back with the understanding that every pound I save now could eventually equate to two pounds spending power in Australia. For all you boffins out there who will disagree with the theory to that - it's personal to me and anyway I managed to get my wife to agree with it, which is the important bit as she's the spender - she's got at least five pairs of shoes for everyday of the week.

pickletheplacid
Old Mar 24th 2003, 2:39 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

[

I wouldn't go as far as to hand in my resignation. Mainly because there is no need, it's not law to work out your notice and in most cases the company will try to accommodate you if you tell them the situation you're in (i.e. I need to leave the country in two weeks) and one of the most important things everyone needs to be doing when approaching immigration is saving money, I've cut right back with the understanding that every pound I save now could eventually equate to two pounds spending power in Australia. For all you boffins out there who will disagree with the theory to that - it's personal to me and anyway I managed to get my wife to agree with it, which is the important bit as she's the spender - she's got at least five pairs of shoes for everyday of the week.

pickletheplacid

How is Imelda?
Old Mar 24th 2003, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

pickletheplacid is an unknown quantity at this point

She's not bad, looking forward to the car boot sale - should stand to make about 7 million.

pickletheplacid
Old Mar 24th 2003, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

liz and mark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else jumped the gun??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jambo_g

Hi we jumped the gun big time when we applied in Feb 01 the processing time was 9 months and we were already through part of the 9 months so we put the house on the market didnt think it would sell as quick, but it did. Thought about buying another house just in case. Spoke to mortgage adviser and was told if it is going to be a matter of months to possible visas, to buy and sell another house would cost quite a bit of money so we decided to go in to rented and 2 years later we are still waiting....
Not only have house prices rocketed but to buy a house now is going to cost an arm and a leg.
you live and learn
Old Mar 24th 2003, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pickletheplacid

We're doing much the same, we only lodged the PR application in February this year and we have the house on the market already. The housing market has definitely slowed down in this area, so we are worried, but at the same time relieved that we haven't sold already.

We are going on our migration agent's guarantee .... he wouldn't take our case unless he could guarantee almost 100% that we will be approved. He is also under the impression that the average time his applications are taking is 9 months, although he has told us not to raise our hopes! He did frontload with police check which expire in November ..... bet we'll have to redo those!

The problem is if we don't sell, we don't have the AUD100k for the extra 5 points!

I totally agree with the limbo feeling, you feel like you're life is on hold. It is sooooo frustrating.

We won't resign from our jobs until we know, and as for the kids it's business as usual, enrolling in new secondary etc.

Wayne & Hazel
Old Mar 24th 2003, 8:05 am
Moose on the Move

My house has been up for sale for a week and the agent said the market is slowing down, so I think it is a good time to sell.

I'm hoping I can delay completion until I am ready to go, although obviously I'll be eager to exchange as soon as possible so I know I'm guaranteed the money!
Old Mar 24th 2003, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by liz and mark
Originally posted by jambo_g

Hi we jumped the gun big time when we applied in Feb 01 the processing time was 9 months and we were already through part of the 9 months so we put the house on the market didnt think it would sell as quick, but it did. Thought about buying another house just in case. Spoke to mortgage adviser and was told if it is going to be a matter of months to possible visas, to buy and sell another house would cost quite a bit of money so we decided to go in to rented and 2 years later we are still waiting....
Not only have house prices rocketed but to buy a house now is going to cost an arm and a leg.
you live and learn
Hi Liz & Mark,

How come are you still waiting? Was there a problem with your applications? Did you use an agent?

It is so worrying, you think it is just a matter of processing, and then it all goes pear shaped!

Hazel
Old Mar 24th 2003, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by moosifer
My house has been up for sale for a week and the agent said the market is slowing down, so I think it is a good time to sell.

I'm hoping I can delay completion until I am ready to go, although obviously I'll be eager to exchange as soon as possible so I know I'm guaranteed the money!

Our house has been on the market for about a month, only one viewing so far, and they couldn't afford it!! Why did they even come round???

The agent reckons theres nothing to worry about - easy for him to say. He also says we can stipulate when we want to move out if we sold earlier than we wanted to, but must say I don't think I'd risk the sale falling through.

PS. We know what you meant about your car .... if you had seen our earlier post on car prices, we too have a car we would like to take and it also retails for a good deal in Oz, basically if we don't take it with us I doubt whether we will ever afford another BM. But we wouldn't throw away our dreams in Oz for the car .... our choice !!

Hazel & Wayne
Old Mar 24th 2003, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

lorrimer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rudy
Our house has been on the market for about a month, only one viewing so far, and they couldn't afford it!! Why did they even come round???

The agent reckons theres nothing to worry about - easy for him to say. He also says we can stipulate when we want to move out if we sold earlier than we wanted to, but must say I don't think I'd risk the sale falling through.

PS. We know what you meant about your car .... if you had seen our earlier post on car prices, we too have a car we would like to take and it also retails for a good deal in Oz, basically if we don't take it with us I doubt whether we will ever afford another BM. But we wouldn't throw away our dreams in Oz for the car .... our choice !!

Hazel & Wayne
We're in Hornchurch. Have had the house on the market for seven weeks now with only two viewings. Despite being with 4 agents and reducing the price, still no interest. We leave for Brisbane at the end of May so are starting to worry that all our plans (house building etc) will have to be put on ice.
I think this war has caused the market to slow to a virtual standstill. May meet you on 6th April. Good luck with the house,
Lorrimer
Old Mar 24th 2003, 7:41 pm
Finally made it

Paul and Steph is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem is if we don't sell, we don't have the AUD100k for the extra 5 points!

Hi Wayne and Hazel

We have just posted our bond and are now putting house on the market.

I don't know if you have spoken to your mortgage lender but we arranged for a further advance to be drawn down when we needed it to pay bond and will repay it when we sell.

Just a thought

Steph
Old Mar 24th 2003, 8:47 pm
Moose on the Move

Originally posted by lorrimer
We're in Hornchurch. Have had the house on the market for seven weeks now with only two viewings. Despite being with 4 agents and reducing the price, still no interest. We leave for Brisbane at the end of May so are starting to worry that all our plans (house building etc) will have to be put on ice.
I think this war has caused the market to slow to a virtual standstill. May meet you on 6th April. Good luck with the house,
Lorrimer
I used to live in Hornchurch - right by the tube station. I managed to sell my place within a week!

Looks like most of the area is starting to slip now, which is a shock given that Havering has good transport links and is one of the cheapest London boroughs (I'm now in a new estate in Harold Hill).

Good luck selling though - I'm sure everything will be OK in the end Are you going through Haart at all? I was with Bairstow Eves at first but they're terrible.

Rudy - as for the car, it probably won't hold me back but I will accept that I'll have to live in a much smaller property and get a bigger mortgage to take the car with me (it's a Lotus Elise) but hey - it's gonna be worth it!
Old Mar 25th 2003, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

liz and mark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Rudy
Hi Liz & Mark,

How come are you still waiting? Was there a problem with your applications? Did you use an agent?

It is so worrying, you think it is just a matter of processing, and then it all goes pear shaped!

Hazel

Hi Hazel
applied 01 AHC London took so long to process they then required more information to back up work details to make it up to date.Then end of sept 02 asked for meds and police checks . we had informed them of forthcoming marriage in nov so was told to send meds etc with marriage cert. did that 18 nov 02. Feb 28th had letter for more info. so just waiting for reply to that, if they are still taking 3 months to process mail it will be June.Surley there is nothing else they can ask us for.

Liz and Mark