Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else gone 'back to school'???

Anyone else gone 'back to school'???

Old Aug 14th 2005, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone else gone 'back to school'???

Hi!

It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time but with having two small demanding kids and migrating, I haven't got around to doing before now. Anyway, I was going to do the Teachers aide certificate three at the local TAFE in January (a years course) and then I thought: 'why am I doing this when I could be doing a teaching degree"? So that is the plan.

I have decent G.C.S.E's and 'A' Levels from the U.K (albeit it they were done 12 years ago) so I think I am able to get on with the study and I have done lots of parent volunteering in the classroom, since we've been here (and also in the U.K).

Financially, the degree was out of reach for me before now really but after a long chat with ste about the whole thing and the agreement that it would be worth the sacrafice short term for the long term gains - job satisfaction, financial security, being able to work around the kids etc we have decided to go for it. If I can move 12,000 miles from everything comfortable I know, then this will be a breeze. Hard work but a breeze.

Am wondering how anyone else has gone on with applying to UNI having been out of the 'system' for such a long time and would especially like to hear from anyone who's doing a teaching degree at the moment.

Cheers, Leigh. x
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:13 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else gone 'back to school'???

hi leigh

not gone back to the classroom full time, ive just spent the last 2 years doing a couple of courses (teaching assistant included), and have just got a little job at a local school as a TA. however i have now got the bit between my teeth as far as further education is concerned. we have decided that when we get over to aus, i will probably get on a course (on what, i havent decided!! ) i worked in the travel industry for nearly 20 years; i have really enjoyed the TA courses and enjoy being in the classroom with the kiddies; i have also fancied nursing/midwife. not much difference between the 3 is there? lol. confused.com (thats me )

long story, but i should have gone to uni, and was talked out of it. so im determined that i am going to have another shot at it, and looking forward to it. i just need to decide in what direction.

good luck with your course, a really do envy you
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sleeping Beauty
hi leigh

not gone back to the classroom full time, ive just spent the last 2 years doing a couple of courses (teaching assistant included), and have just got a little job at a local school as a TA. however i have now got the bit between my teeth as far as further education is concerned. we have decided that when we get over to aus, i will probably get on a course (on what, i havent decided!! ) i worked in the travel industry for nearly 20 years; i have really enjoyed the TA courses and enjoy being in the classroom with the kiddies; i have also fancied nursing/midwife. not much difference between the 3 is there? lol. confused.com (thats me )

long story, but i should have gone to uni, and was talked out of it. so im determined that i am going to have another shot at it, and looking forward to it. i just need to decide in what direction.

good luck with your course, a really do envy you
Hi Sleeping beauty,

thanks for your reply. An odd reply though...my heartbreaking choice was really between teaching and yes...you've guessed it...midwifery.... :scared:

Heart said midwifery, head said teaching, had to make a choice and the swinging factor was the fact that 1) I'd have to do night shifts with midwifery (unpractical with a young family and i don't want to lead that sort of life) and 2) teaching gives me the ability to have the holidays off with the kids and still spend time with them whilst they are still little and want me around!!! Also, I probably couldn't have coped with the few and rare sad childbirth cases where things go wrong. I know you get trained for it but I'm too much of a softee, deep down.

Very hard choice though, as I know I'd have made a pretty good midwife, even if I say so myself. So, teaching it is and I'm so looking forward to it. It's a relief to have finally made the decision, I've ummed and aahed about it for a long while now, even when I'd told myself that I was going to do the Teachers Aide course, in the back of my mind, I was still undecided really.

Thanks, Leigh. x
Old Aug 14th 2005, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Hello

Most universities in Australia have mature age (please don't be offended over 21 counts as mature age) use the clearing system that the school leavers use. This is variously called VTAC (Victoria), UAC (NSW/ACT)

It is worth checking a few of the universities they differ widely from state to state eg;

Melbourne Uni http://www.services.unimelb.edu.au/l...ce/mature.html

Wollongong Uni (NSW) http://www.uow.edu.au/prospective/mature.html

Mature age admission can also be determined by life experience, not just previous academic qualifications.

I was talked out of uni, did TAFE and then went back and finished with the Uni course. My advice, go for it. It does take time and commitment. It can be very hard and I admire your determination.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 5:36 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Hi!

It's something I've been wanting to do for a long time but with having two small demanding kids and migrating, I haven't got around to doing before now. Anyway, I was going to do the Teachers aide certificate three at the local TAFE in January (a years course) and then I thought: 'why am I doing this when I could be doing a teaching degree"? So that is the plan.

I have decent G.C.S.E's and 'A' Levels from the U.K (albeit it they were done 12 years ago) so I think I am able to get on with the study and I have done lots of parent volunteering in the classroom, since we've been here (and also in the U.K).

Financially, the degree was out of reach for me before now really but after a long chat with ste about the whole thing and the agreement that it would be worth the sacrafice short term for the long term gains - job satisfaction, financial security, being able to work around the kids etc we have decided to go for it. If I can move 12,000 miles from everything comfortable I know, then this will be a breeze. Hard work but a breeze.

Am wondering how anyone else has gone on with applying to UNI having been out of the 'system' for such a long time and would especially like to hear from anyone who's doing a teaching degree at the moment.

Cheers, Leigh. x
Hi,

I'm in the middle of studying for a PhD in Nursing and have two small kids (7 and 4). Not quite a teaching degree but I do some lecturing part time. It's certainly not easy what with seeing to the kids etc. but like you we talked long and hard about rights and wrongs and felt that long term this was the right thing. The thing that has kept me going is that it's not for ever and I'm doing it for the better. At least that's what I try and keep saying.

Don't know if this helped much but if there's anything else just shout.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks for the replies, it's good to know others have gone back to school too. Does anyone know if you can defer UNI fees here, like the U.K student loan facility? - any links would be good. Thanks.
Old Aug 14th 2005, 9:41 pm
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Leigh

Good on ya! Go for it! I'm starting a nursing degree in Wollongong next Feb. We're moving out in January. I'm a mature student with a 3 year old and went back to college in the UK when my little one was 6 months old to do some A levels and absolutely loved it. Believe me...its so much easier this time around than the first. I've had a ball! Thought i'd be the oldest in the class, but it really wasn't the case! Nothing is impossible and I wish you all the luck for your future studies, whatever they maybe!
Old Aug 14th 2005, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Welshie
Leigh

Good on ya! Go for it! I'm starting a nursing degree in Wollongong next Feb. We're moving out in January. I'm a mature student with a 3 year old and went back to college in the UK when my little one was 6 months old to do some A levels and absolutely loved it. Believe me...its so much easier this time around than the first. I've had a ball! Thought i'd be the oldest in the class, but it really wasn't the case! Nothing is impossible and I wish you all the luck for your future studies, whatever they maybe!
Thanks for that. Sounds like you've really enjoyed your studies so far. Good luck with the nursing course here. Do you have to fund your own studies, whilst your training here?
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for the replies, it's good to know others have gone back to school too. Does anyone know if you can defer UNI fees here, like the U.K student loan facility? - any links would be good. Thanks.
When we came I started a foundation course to enable me to go to uni( I had to do this as I had been out of education so long), but now I am at TAFE doing a diploma. I have done this to bide time till I can get citizenship as although as a PR you can get domestic rates you have to pay up front. The diploma is so much cheaper and counts towards part of the degree anyway, so hopefully by the time I apply for uni I will be a citizen and then I can defer my fees.
Amanda
Old Aug 14th 2005, 11:48 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Leigh

Ditto.....I came over here and wanted to do something new and it was going to be midwifery but as you say....kids and shifts...not very practical!

I am doing a B.ed in education. Kindergarten through to year 7 at ECU here in Perth. It is four year course and full time. Although full time is very short in the hours stakes!

The cost is a hell of a lot cheaper than in the UK, its roughly $4k per uni year, thats 26 weeks. I cannot defer my fees via HECS until I am a citizen.

My biggest worry is not the work as I cope o.k with that (with hubbys support) it's the empoyablilty factor when I leave. Over here in WA the chances of getting a full time teaching position in the metro area are slim to anorexic! I could get work in the country but I don't want to go country.

I would say, as you've had kids a lot of the units you will study will be common sense for you as you've been through so much raising the children.

I say go for it. Good luck to you.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:53 am
Love Tiffany's

Welshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud ofWelshie has much to be proud of

Thanks for that. Sounds like you've really enjoyed your studies so far. Good luck with the nursing course here. Do you have to fund your own studies, whilst your training here?
Yep I do, but to be honest we don't care how much it costs us. I was originally planning to do it here, but we're so fed up we decided to bite the bullet and go for it. Stuff the cost...its gonna be well worth it to get out of this country!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 9:14 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

If you have citizenship then yes you can. You just pay a minimum amount and then when you start earning the balance gets deducted from wages when you reach a threshold salary.
If you are PR then you need to get a commonwealth supported place firstly. Then you have to pay upfront the student contribution -approx$6000. You cannot defer or get discount for upfront payment. If you dont get a commonwealth supported place then you pay full fee's - thats around $24000 upwords and it is upfront as well