Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else going to Brisbane in Feb?

Anyone else going to Brisbane in Feb?

Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

brisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nice
Default Anyone else going to Brisbane in Feb?

Just wondered if there are anyone else in the same boat as us?
We are flying out on 8th of Feb, heading to northern suburbs of Brisbane (Bridgeman Downs to start with). Myself, hubby and one year old daughter would love to hear from anyone else planning the big move!

So much to do, I don't know where to start.I think it is excitment and nerves!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else going to Brisbane in Feb?

Originally Posted by brisbanebound
We are flying out on 8th of Feb, heading to northern suburbs of Brisbane (Bridgeman Downs to start with). Myself, hubby and one year old daughter would love to hear from anyone else planning the big move!

As we're going a bit after you, 7th March, you'll be able to share all your top tips with us!

We're staying in Bray Park area for one month in a holiday let and then we're going to see where my husband can get a job and where we'd like to live.

We have a baby boy who will be nearly 9 months when we get there.

I'm so anxious/excited at the minute. Are you all set and packed up ready to go?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

brisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nicebrisbanebound is just really nice

hi, nice to hear from you
Our little girl is one, so I'll let you know how the dreaded flight goes.
It is such a weird time, isn't it? Excitement, nerves, guilt for taking my daugher away from my family...etc.
We will stay with relatives in Bridgeman Downs and then rent somwhere, also depending on where OH gets a job and where we like (and afford). Rent seems so high.
Sorting through stuff at the moment, charity shop, dump etc.It is such a moan.It is hard to know what to take and whatt leave behind.
I am so excited, for the little one especially, all the new things we can get up to together....lol
Emma

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
As we're going a bit after you, 7th March, you'll be able to share all your top tips with us!

We're staying in Bray Park area for one month in a holiday let and then we're going to see where my husband can get a job and where we'd like to live.

We have a baby boy who will be nearly 9 months when we get there.

I'm so anxious/excited at the minute. Are you all set and packed up ready to go?
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

AussieDiva is on a distinguished road

Hi there! We are leaving London to live in Brisbane on the 9th March, so not too much later. We have two girls, the eldest is 4 and a half, the other is 9 months old. I too am dreading the flight with my little one - we flew to Oz for a holiday back in 2004 when my eldest was 7 weeks old which was amazingly peaceful - she slept though the whole trip - but at 9 months god knows. We have reserved a bassinet in the vain hope that all will be well!

We are staying with my brother in Capalaba for as long as it takes to find the right place for us to settle. Tossing up between being by the sea somewhere like Brighton/Sandgate/Shorncliffe, maybe even as far up as Redcliffe, or the west - The Gap (if there is any of it left ), Kenmore etc. We are fortunate enough to earn our living on the internet so we are not tied to an area by work. But finding that as much research as I am doing on schools and areas, I have come to the conclusion that I just need to get there and see for myself. The school choice is totally the hardest part - I just want to get my 4year old settled and happy so this move doesn't throw her too much.

Are you shipping loads of your things or have you resolved to just buy new when you arrive? We are sifting though all our stuff and I am getting to the point where I want to say bugger it let's just buy it when we get there!!!!

Will be great to hear how you are going with your plans before you leave.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

hi, nice to hear from you
Our little girl is one, so I'll let you know how the dreaded flight goes.
It is such a weird time, isn't it? Excitement, nerves, guilt for taking my daugher away from my family...etc.
We will stay with relatives in Bridgeman Downs and then rent somwhere, also depending on where OH gets a job and where we like (and afford). Rent seems so high.
Sorting through stuff at the moment, charity shop, dump etc.It is such a moan.It is hard to know what to take and whatt leave behind.
I am so excited, for the little one especially, all the new things we can get up to together....lol
Emma
Oh god the flight! I am not looking forward to it at all saying that I don't think James will be too bad once we get in to it.

You're so luckly to have family over there, we know literally nobody and have never been before either... Our friends and family think we are certifiable.

We're looking at renting round the bayside area and the house's we like are around $350-$400 a wk but I just have no idea what will happen when we get there - I've heard horror stories of 30 people turning before it's advertised!

Are you shipping anything? We're taking the whole shabang!

Originally Posted by AussieDiva
Hi there! We are leaving London to live in Brisbane on the 9th March, so not too much later. We have two girls, the eldest is 4 and a half, the other is 9 months old. I too am dreading the flight with my little one - we flew to Oz for a holiday back in 2004 when my eldest was 7 weeks old which was amazingly peaceful - she slept though the whole trip - but at 9 months god knows. We have reserved a bassinet in the vain hope that all will be well!

We are staying with my brother in Capalaba for as long as it takes to find the right place for us to settle. Tossing up between being by the sea somewhere like Brighton/Sandgate/Shorncliffe, maybe even as far up as Redcliffe, or the west - The Gap (if there is any of it left ), Kenmore etc. We are fortunate enough to earn our living on the internet so we are not tied to an area by work. But finding that as much research as I am doing on schools and areas, I have come to the conclusion that I just need to get there and see for myself. The school choice is totally the hardest part - I just want to get my 4year old settled and happy so this move doesn't throw her too much.

Are you shipping loads of your things or have you resolved to just buy new when you arrive? We are sifting though all our stuff and I am getting to the point where I want to say bugger it let's just buy it when we get there!!!!

Will be great to hear how you are going with your plans before you leave.
Again another lucky one with family! I'm a bit worried that the first few weeks before jobs and things we'll feel really isolated.

Capalaba is the area we're looking at renting in so I might have to pick your brain once your over there.

The whole school issue is such a major issue for you and I'm quite glad I don't have to face that one just yet, I imagine it's going to be quite daunting but I'm sure if you follow your instincts your little girl will settle in well.

As I said above we are shipping everything and the shippers are coming on the 29th Jan which means 5 weeks camping in our house really not looking forward to that experience but at least doing it this way I can escape to my mum's when the blow up bed becomes tedious!

I'd love to hear how everyone is getting on with plans and things - maybe we could all share tips!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

paul1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are flying out 26th 0f feb and will be staying in Mcdowall.Cheers Paul and family.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:04 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I just thought I'd pop in to say hello. I live in Capalaba so if you've got any questions about the area feel free to ask. I'm not from the UK, I'm Canadian, but I move here last May and have lived in Capalaba for almost a year and a half now.

I have two kids (girl aged 5 and a boy age 2) so I know what it's like to travel with little ones.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:15 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AussieDiva
.... or the west - The Gap (if there is any of it left ), .... .The school choice is totally the hardest part - I just want to get my 4year old settled and happy so this move doesn't throw her too much....
If you do end up in The Gap your 4.5yr old could end up in the same class as my daughter. For the record, the publix schools in The Gap have an excellent reputation and the area as a whole has a fantastic community spirit.

Oh - and dont worry about storm damage - You wouldnt know anything had happened now - its all been fixed up (apart from a few very unfortunate houses still draped in tarps)
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

sfreq is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there.

I'm flying out just before you do on the 6th of Feb headed for Brisbane. I have my girlfriend there so will be putting up with her for the initial few days and then we intend to move out into a place of our own. Have started looking for places already and there are some good deals available now which are quite close to the city centre within $350 per week. Thankfully, she can go and check these places out before I arrive.

Whereabouts are you planning to look for rentals? It is an exciting time and I wish you all the best for your move!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

kids carer will become famous soon enoughkids carer will become famous soon enough

My DH is just in the process of finally accepting a job offer in Brisbane. We will be moving from NZ at the beginning of March. He has to give a months notice here so not sure on exact dates.

My girls are 10months and 9 years.

We wont know a single person there and have no idea where to start.

All us newbies coming over might have to have a meet up
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

We are flying to Brisbane 1 March from Heathrow. We will have a 1 year old with us. Have booked him a seat for the flight, did not fancy all them hours with him on my lap. Best wishes to everyone travelling soon and see you on the other side.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

We are a bit later - will arrive in Brisbane 18th April. Have a 4 year old daughter and 8 month old son. We have accom booked for 6 weeks then will rent somewhere - we like the Kenmore area or out towards Manly but we'll see. Depends where DH's job is.

Seems to be lots of us with similar aged children!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

County Down Princess is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are hoping to head for Brisbane area somewhere around Ipswich my OH has a job but we were delayed on our plans as my mother in law passed away suddenly last september time so now new year and all that we hope to get there before summer so looking for lots of helpful hints if anyone can help me out, my kids are 10 and 4 and thankfully now the 10 year really wants to go, sitting here in Northern Ireland its baltic and really need some sun
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Woh, I didn't think there would be so many, how fab, and so many kiddies aswell. We too have booked a bassinet on Singapore Airlines and a night flight,,,,,hoping for a bit of sleep!
Yes we are shipping everything, well almost everything.It is also a good opportunity to dump some stuff.
We are also going to look at McDowall and surrounding suburbs, Albany Creek, Eatons hill, Stafford Heights etc.Rent seems so high though, I am not sure what we will be able to afford until OH starts work, as I don't plan to work while baby is young.I have been to Brisbane in 2001 on a backpacking trip, but I have forgotton most of it!
Exciting isn't it!
A meet up in Brisbane is a great idea
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

hi Paul, are you going to rent or buy in Mcdowall?, that is one of the suburbs that has been recommended to us

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.