Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else finding it hard to get motivated?

Anyone else finding it hard to get motivated?

Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:11 pm
Juicer Member

Glenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of lightGlenat is a glorious beacon of light
Unhappy Anyone else finding it hard to get motivated?

Our flights are booked for 29/10, and we need to start sorting out what we want to take with us / throw away / car boot / ebay. But I don't know where to start. I'm excited about going but not about having to clear up and throw things away. (I'm a very sentimenal person, and a horder )

Any tips on getting started? I've tried watching Anthea Turner already
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Downies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond reputeDownies has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Anyone else finding it hard to get motivated?

Originally Posted by Glenat
Our flights are booked for 29/10, and we need to start sorting out what we want to take with us / throw away / car boot / ebay. But I don't know where to start. I'm excited about going but not about having to clear up and throw things away. (I'm a very sentimenal person, and a horder )

Small bites at the cherry! I have been thinning out my hording draws/cupboards etc for a couple of months now. Go in and throw some stuff away - couple of weeks later if I havent broken out in hives then go back into them and do another cut and throw more stuff away and repeat until you have just enough stuff to sell you place or only what you are shipping over.

Another good motivator is checking out weight costs to ship stuff over - then go back to do another weeding out.

We have also mentioned to everyone who has visited our place for the last six months that if any thing catches there eye they can put first dibs on it when we sell up - now have a list of people who want cars, dining table and chairs, tv sets and dvd player, portable tv and video recorder, bedroom furniture, washing machine, dryer and dishwasher.

Although - if we are lucky and get a first-time buyer or something like that for our one-bedroomed flat then hopefully they might want to buy as is - with plates, cups, wineglasses etc all thrown in!!

Good luck!

Paula
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:27 pm
Living the dream

kars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant futurekars has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone else finding it hard to get motivated?

Hi

I got some friends to come round and help sort out my stuff as I'm abit of horder then we did a couple of car boots. Going thru my clothes was the worst as they wouldn't let me keep anything I hadn't worn for a season! But I feel much better now ive had a life laundry!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice

Start decluttering now! We're leaving two weeks on Friday and still have a ton of stuff to do thanks to me being a horder!!

Still, it'll be worth it when we get on the plane!!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Anyone else finding it hard to get motivated?

I started in the Attic! Found loads up there that I hadn't seen for years (including all my notes from Uni) Chucking away junk in the attic that you never really needed helps you to get motivated for clearing away more important or difficult stuff!
I limited myself to one box for memories and just kept photos etc in there.
Still got the rest of the house to do yet though!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey I could've started this post!

If visa comes this week then packers due next Thursday. So much not yet done - especially cleaning of outside stuff!

Kids think they've got elves in their toy cupboards as each time I go in another lot goes in the charity bag!

Good luck to you all and here's to some momentum!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

AngC is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Anyone else finding it hard to get motivated?

Start listing a few things on ebay - I found it addictive...I've hardly any posessions left and don't yet have a visa!!! It's good fun though and once you see the cash mounting up you'll be hooked.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

We were lucky because we did get a first time buyer, who bought the house fully furnished actually, it was a bit of a bad idea,as we left everything,TV,portable TV in bedroom, decent stereo,bed linen, the absolute lot, which I now regret
But it meant we got a good price for the house & sold it without an agent,so that was all good.
As far as getting motivated, I'd say do it sooner rather than later,it's just one more headache to get through, but it still needs doing.
And don't be too generous giving stuff away, we gave our friends a £150 car seat,£80 wooden high chair, both like new & didn't even get a thank-you note. We left all our old LP's from the attic with my brother, who sold them on E-bay, basically because I couldn't be bothered & didn't have the time or energy, so he kept all the money from that.
Even the last week I was giving away ton of nappies,baby wipes,shampoos etc,all because I'd overstocked & could just not fit anymore into the suitcases,& I could really kick myself for not being more organised.
Hindsight is such a wonderful thing
Good luck with your move,
NOW GET OFF HERE & GO & DO SOME CLEARING OUT
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:10 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I already did this once, back in 99 when I moved from Australia to England. I arrived with 7 boxes which contained photo's, videos, cds and a pc. Now 7 years on, we are doing it again (well first time for the OH) and so...again, down to at little amount of boxes as possible!

It is scary.....but it's surprising what you don't really need
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:10 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

get a skip
at £120 a pop its cheaper than running around like a loony from car boot charity shop etc