Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else feeling down with no luck for jobs ?

Anyone else feeling down with no luck for jobs ?

Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice
Default Anyone else feeling down with no luck for jobs ?

its been almost a month since i came and i cant even find a casual job feeling really down... anyone else in the same boat ?
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all
Default Re: Anyone else feeling down with no luck for jobs ?

It is depressing - but stick it out. It took me just over 5 months up here in FNQ. Worst feeling was not hearing back from people. Most ridiculous reply came from a job application submitted early Jan and the 'sorry, no thanks' email arrived mid May!

Keep at it and be realistic that it might well take 3-6 months.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

mala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nicemala is just really nice

Originally Posted by Max&Ozzy

Keep at it and be realistic that it might well take 3-6 months.
even a casual job ???
Old Jul 13th 2011, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

I wasn't looking for casual jobs, but my partner was and she did struggle too, although she has since given up to have our first.

Should point out that we both have quite a few yrs Aus work experience on our CV's, but we were aiming for 'semi professional positions', in what is often reported as being economically challenging times up here in FNQ.

Saying that I do read and hear from others that finding jobs can be and is, quite challenging. In some respects the less specified and seriously in demand your skills are it really is down to luck, right place right time, and knowing someone who knows of an opening.

I wish you luck in your search, in the area you are.

You will be able to look back from this low in the future though!!!
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:37 am
Just Joined

Migrant8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not easy to find job in 1st month anyway. Better bit downgrade your resume and get in to some mid/entry level job. Job market is different for Computer people here. Keep on trying. It will take some time to understand this Australian English anyway.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 11:04 am
Just Joined

lynx1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Anyone else feeling down with no luck for jobs ?

Have you tried applying to the banks ? they seem to have quite a few vacancies, but only if you phone them up and do a bit of chasing good luck !
Old Aug 6th 2011, 11:23 am
Just Joined

moggsa01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Migrant8
Its not easy to find job in 1st month anyway. Better bit downgrade your resume and get in to some mid/entry level job. Job market is different for Computer people here. Keep on trying. It will take some time to understand this Australian English anyway.
In what way is it different for computer people.

Is the job market that bad in Australia. We have gained a sponsored visa for my husband but I am wanting a job when I get there in Melbourne
Old Aug 6th 2011, 11:54 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Despite all the crap about low unemployment its not easy getting a job at the moment. Just keep applying and asking around and maybe do volunteer work as this can sometimes lead to paid work.

Good luck
Old Aug 6th 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mala
its been almost a month since i came and i cant even find a casual job feeling really down... anyone else in the same boat ?
Personally found it very easy to get work, but as I live in a gas, oil, salt & iron ore area finding work isn't an issue. Glad I don't have to pay the $1600 a week rental for our house though

Keep on trying something will turn up, maybe you'll get three job offers in a week like I did a month ago. Just kept on applying and then had 2 calls after I'd accepted a positon...
Old Aug 6th 2011, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moggsa01
In what way is it different for computer people.

Is the job market that bad in Australia. We have gained a sponsored visa for my husband but I am wanting a job when I get there in Melbourne
Depends on what you want to do. If you'll take anything then you can find work, if you're looking to work in certain sectors you'll be up against a lot of applicants who may well have the all mighty Australian experience & qualifications
Old Aug 6th 2011, 12:21 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Depends on what you want to do. If you'll take anything then you can find work, if you're looking to work in certain sectors you'll be up against a lot of applicants who may well have the all mighty Australian experience & qualifications
Not always the case mate. I know plenty of people who have been unable to find work in their line of work and have applied for anything and were seen as over qualified. I've even had Aussie mates contacting me to see if I have anything or know of anyone who's looking for people.

It's not impossible to find work but its not that easy at the moment either.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Not always the case mate. I know plenty of people who have been unable to find work in their line of work and have applied for anything and were seen as over qualified. I've even had Aussie mates contacting me to see if I have anything or know of anyone who's looking for people.

It's not impossible to find work but its not that easy at the moment either.
Personally can find work easily where I live and could get work in Vic (if we moved there). Knowing the right people and/or living in the right area are key factors to my personal experiences.
Old Aug 6th 2011, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Personally can find work easily where I live and could get work in Vic (if we moved there). Knowing the right people and/or living in the right area are key factors to my personal experiences.
what do you do mate?
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
what do you do mate?
Currently work for Woodside, took me a while to get a job with them but well worth the wait
Old Aug 6th 2011, 1:04 pm

Woodside...this mob http://www.woodside.com.au/Pages/default.aspx

Doing what? Engineer?

Last edited by sonlymewalter; Aug 6th 2011 at 1:09 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.