Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else doing last day at school?

Anyone else doing last day at school?

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:22 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Anyone else doing last day at school?

It's dd's last day at her primary school today and I'm already all choked up! She's had a lovely cake made for her decorated with koalas and wombats, and all her friends are telling her they're going to miss her. We've been invited in for her final assembly at 10:30 and I haven't got a clue how I'm going to get through it without crying.

Trouble is we live in a small village and most of my friends are also tied up in the school. So it's not just her saying goodbye.

Oh well, get used to it. I've got to go and say goodbye to my dad in a couple of weeks.

Doesn't get any easier, does it?
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:35 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else doing last day at school?

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
It's dd's last day at her primary school today and I'm already all choked up! She's had a lovely cake made for her decorated with koalas and wombats, and all her friends are telling her they're going to miss her. We've been invited in for her final assembly at 10:30 and I haven't got a clue how I'm going to get through it without crying.

Trouble is we live in a small village and most of my friends are also tied up in the school. So it's not just her saying goodbye.

Oh well, get used to it. I've got to go and say goodbye to my dad in a couple of weeks.

I remember only too well what it was like when I moved from one part of the UK to another - the children in my daughters class (and my daughter) came out of school sobbing their hearts out and I felt like the wicked witch of the west She soon got over the experience though and I'm sure the other children in her class did also as it's all part of growing up. At least you're going to start a new life in Australia so try to focus on that and visualise yourself and your daughter playing on a beach together in a few months time happy and enjoying your new life. I'm afraid for today you'e probably going to have to rely on the Kleenex to get you through the assembly
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

there is nothing wrong with a good old cry, I was beside myself when my son left primary (we were moving to America). I broke down at parents evening, it was all just too much.
Try to focus on the lovel times she will have when you get to Australia.
Good Luck (take sunglasses and a hat!)
Tara
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I knew if it was the last day All their friends are behaving like it is although everyone knows we're not going anywhere until the house sells. They all know both girls will probably be back in school in September but are giving pressies and surprises as if they're not. Really difficult situation.

Very emotional but also very heart warming to see how popular they both are. Big help knowing they will have no problems getting mates in Aus, but yes do feel wicked witch seeing 10 and 12 year old girls sobbing cos it's the end of the world Don't really want to go through this again when we finally go :scared:
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:18 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I wish I knew if it was the last day All their friends are behaving like it is although everyone knows we're not going anywhere until the house sells. They all know both girls will probably be back in school in September but are giving pressies and surprises as if they're not. Really difficult situation.

Very emotional but also very heart warming to see how popular they both are. Big help knowing they will have no problems getting mates in Aus, but yes do feel wicked witch seeing 10 and 12 year old girls sobbing cos it's the end of the world Don't really want to go through this again when we finally go :scared:
you poor thing, I am dreading October when Jack leaves school, he knows he will cry, he is 14 and the whole thing is going to be so embarrasing and emotional for him, he is so popular and has so many very good friends.

I hope you sell your house soon
Tara
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20

I'm in the same situation. I had planned to leave at the end of the summer holidays, so that the kids could spend the summer with their friends. I still haven't sold the house so I don't know when we are going. I just really wanted to leave now as it would be the ideal break.
My oldest has just finished her Gcse's and my next one would begin hers this year, so now would have been the ideal time. As it is I feel we are dragging it out and it's causing uncertainty for the kids who had there minds set to leaving at the end of August.

I am dreading them saying goodbye to their friends. I think it is going to be particularly tough on my son. He is very sentimental and has a lot of good friends, but thankfully kids are quite resilient and I'm sure he'll be fine as long as he makes friends in Australia and can keep in touch with his old friends.

Tracey
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Born2tri will become famous soon enoughBorn2tri will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Bella Donna]It's dd's last day at her primary school.

Hi we leave for Brisbane on 27th so my children of 13 and 15 have their last day at school also today. All week the teachers and pupils have been doing surprise partys and things, which is really nice of them and i know there is alot of things happening today so i am expecting alot of tears when they come in not sure how to handle it really although i have tried to explain that it is only natural they will be upset and that this is also a big part of the experience of emigrating (the saying goodbyes).
Saying that we also have to say goodbye to our dogs today, so i imagine we will all be in tears for the rest of the day, we just have to keep remembering why we are going and look forward to a great life in Oz!

Lisa x
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:30 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Born2tri]
It's dd's last day at her primary school.

Hi we leave for Brisbane on 27th so my children of 13 and 15 have their last day at school also today. All week the teachers and pupils have been doing surprise partys and things, which is really nice of them and i know there is alot of things happening today so i am expecting alot of tears when they come in not sure how to handle it really although i have tried to explain that it is only natural they will be upset and that this is also a big part of the experience of emigrating (the saying goodbyes).
Saying that we also have to say goodbye to our dogs today, so i imagine we will all be in tears for the rest of the day, we just have to keep remembering why we are going and look forward to a great life in Oz!

Lisa x
Your children saying goodbye to all their friends at school and the dogs leaving on the same day I don't envy you at all. I'm sending you some Karma.
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

lee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nicelee/jane is just really nice

Hi

Last day for my kids too, Jacks in year 6, so it's the end of the Juniors for all the kids in his class, and it's his birthday today, so it's a real rollercoaster. Can't say too much it hurts.

jane
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lee/jane
Hi

Last day for my kids too, Jacks in year 6, so it's the end of the Juniors for all the kids in his class, and it's his birthday today, so it's a real rollercoaster. Can't say too much it hurts.

jane
Jane
Year 6 is a really good year to deal with change, today would be sad without emigration. It is an end of an era for all of Jack's class.
You have made a good choice with timing.
Good luck
xx
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:11 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Last day for my three girls too! Just got back from the playgroup sports day and party and then fetch the older two (reception and year 2) at 3pm. Hubby finishes work today too and should be in his leaving presentation now!

We leave the village on Thursday next week and are having an early evening leaving do on Monday so that all the families we know from the village can come along then and say final farewells so I am hoping that 3pm won't be too difficult.

Don't actually leave the country until 27 August though.......

Binbird
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

just saw you are online

how did it go
Tara
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:48 pm
Margie

Margie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by binbird
Last day for my three girls too! Just got back from the playgroup sports day and party and then fetch the older two (reception and year 2) at 3pm. Hubby finishes work today too and should be in his leaving presentation now!

We leave the village on Thursday next week and are having an early evening leaving do on Monday so that all the families we know from the village can come along then and say final farewells so I am hoping that 3pm won't be too difficult.

Don't actually leave the country until 27 August though.......

Binbird
Hi,

My girls finished school at the end of June when it broke for the summer hols.
They took it in their stride, it was the teachers, other mums, the headmistress and I who were in tears!

Our going away do is tomorrow night, although we do not go until 12.8.05.

I know Cirencester well as I used to live in Tetbury.
Have an old school pal who lives in Greyfriairs walk in Cirencester, hopefully coming to visit us in Perth in November .

Hope this afternoon goes well.

Margie
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:10 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margie
Hi,

I know Cirencester well as I used to live in Tetbury.
Have an old school pal who lives in Greyfriairs walk in Cirencester, hopefully coming to visit us in Perth in November .

Hope this afternoon goes well.

Margie

We used to lived in Tetbury too!

Now in Kemble so literally 5 mins from your friend!

Small world!

Binbird
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:32 pm
Margie

Margie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura aboutMargie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by binbird
We used to lived in Tetbury too!

Now in Kemble so literally 5 mins from your friend!

Small world!

Binbird
Sure is a small world.

Out of interest, did you grow up in Tetbury or go to Sir William Romney's school?

We visited Disneyland resort Paris at Easter, they have a ride called It's a Small World", now I've got their song in my head again"

Kemble's lovely, remember going to Air shows there when they still were home to the Red Arrows.

Margie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.