Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone else agree with this?!!!

Anyone else agree with this?!!!

Old May 26th 2003, 12:36 pm
Badge

Default Anyone else agree with this?!!!

Hey

I was just saying this in a PM to one of us. won't say who as it was a PM etc. Ok it was TerryG!!

anyway...

Since I got my visa, I can't but help walk around London inwardly smiling; and looking at all the things i hate about London and thinking:

"***** it", ***** london, ***** UK!! But I don't care anymore!!!!!!"

And know that I have a ticket out of there!!!!!

Top Things that annoy me:

1) how miserable, gaunt, every one looks - unless they're pissed(!) come to think of it this doesn't always make any difference!!! Also the way people look so devoid of any emotion and imagination.

I live in Twickenham and it's a nice part of London to be in as well..so I dread to go anywhere else - improved by the England baa-baas game i attended at Twickenham yesterday!!

2) the "cool", "keeping up with the joneses" type conversations that English people have. I was sinking a few guinesses in a river side pub on sat lunchtime with a good mate of mine and i was surrounded by this. (He's going to SA and also hates the yuppie culture)
Nothing wrong of course in bettering yourself and making the most of life, but i noticed in australia that conversation is more about stories and having a laugh than what clothes you wear etc

(<preemptive strike at flames>although of course people do wear nice clothes if they want </preemptive end>)

3) overhearing the whiney/whingy conversations on public transport on the rare occasions people being actually talk. there was a load of aussies on the bus coming back from twickers and they were laughing and joking, whereas all the english people sat there like lemons.

i've just put my helmet, gas mask and NBC kit on in anticipation of a right old flame.

right - I'm off to take my medication. keep smiling people!

badgers

Last edited by badgersmount; May 26th 2003 at 12:44 pm.

Old May 26th 2003, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

1) how miserable, gaunt, every one looks - unless they're pissed(!) come to think of it this doesn't always make any difference!!! Also the way people look so devoid of any emotion and imagination.
I think thats down to lack of sun, go anyplace in the world that is sunny, people always appear to be laughing and smiling. When we get a few sunny days here people become happy and smiley.
Old May 26th 2003, 5:56 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Spot on, Badger. I'm sadly old enough to remember a kinder face to the UK, village boy as I am. It's gone - probably forevever. I saw a very pleasant side to NZ when I was there in March, almost like the UK was 20 or 30 years ago.

But a bit different too, though still very pleasant. People were kind of...human.

Cheers - Don
Old May 26th 2003, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

you are so right badger man. If you smile at someone in this country , they look at you like your after something or you are barking mad.

I heard on the radio on friday that the uk gets half the sunshine of any other european country. That accounts for the down in the dumps mood of the uk. I know that if it is sunny in the morning then im filled with more vigour and purpose then if it is wet, grey etc.

Cheers
BooBoo
Old May 26th 2003, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone else agree with this?!!!

Couldnt agree more badgers, with all the points. We have lodged our app. and are waiting but we know we will be there one day, even so we still feel smug with ourselves knowing we can 'escape', all the whingers will still be there whinging and not doing anything about it, at least we are man enough to give things a go eh?
well, this is for all the whingers ( .........big raspberry noise!!!!!!!!)
Old May 26th 2003, 8:33 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[i]Originally posted by badgersmount

2) the "cool", "keeping up with the joneses" type conversations that English people have. I was sinking a few guinesses in a river side pub on sat lunchtime with a good mate of mine and i was surrounded by this. (He's going to SA and also hates the yuppie culture

badgers
well B.M tell yer mate to stay away from the UNLEY/PARKSIDE AREA,it,s known as "YUPPIEVILLE" but here its more car culture than clothes ,beamers mercs, must have the latest model, wannabe SLOAN RANGERS in the latest range rovers .......... MM
Old May 26th 2003, 8:49 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I was walking around London the other day and noticed lots of miserable gaunt people .... maybe one of them was you ?
Because remember we are all someone elses weirdo !
Hope it all works out for you and you don't miss sausages and quality TV too much !!
S
Old May 26th 2003, 8:59 pm
Badge

Originally posted by mr mover
well B.M tell yer mate to stay away from the UNLEY/PARKSIDE AREA,it,s known as "YUPPIEVILLE" but here its more car culture than clothes ,beamers mercs, must have the latest model, wannabe SLOAN RANGERS in the latest range rovers .......... MM
you're right. everywhere in the world there are people with "status" or "perceived" status based on symbols, income, cars. But aside from that, "average" people in Aus seem to have more quality of life, more confidence and awareness than "average" people in the UK.

my aussie mate is a shoemaker in a factory. He has worked hard, and on the mid NSW coast he owns a 5 bed house with great views. He is a jovial, kind, footie loving (he was a coach - why we get on so well) extrovert but he is not all "loads of money" , and not a bit of a "geezer" like he probably would be in London - and his friends are all blue collar /white collar - well no one cares.

i meet blue collars workers in london who are obsessed with "loadsa" money, 80s I know - but it still holds true - and white collar people who think it is all "vulgar" etc etc i couldnt give a flying ***** about either view. each to his own. people seem to stick to their "classes" over here, and pigeon-hole people; i find it really tiresome.

badgers

Old May 26th 2003, 9:02 pm
Badge

Originally posted by Snitzy
Yeah I was walking around London the other day and noticed lots of miserable gaunt people .... maybe one of them was you ?
Because remember we are all someone elses weirdo !
Hope it all works out for you and you don't miss sausages and quality TV too much !!
S
not me. i have created quite a scene in my high street with all the shopkeepers. they've known my family for years but since i came back from aus they've all said how particularly happy and fit i look...

i intend to go forward in life, not back

;-)

badgers