Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone doing the de-facto application?

Anyone doing the de-facto application?

Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Anyone doing the de-facto application?

Hi

Only joined yesterday and just wondered if anyone else out there is in the middle of or about to do the de-facto application.

Just wanted some hints and tips (we are not using an agent) hoping to do the 'Front End Loaded application'

Would be grateful for some feedback.

Natbat
Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:12 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone doing the de-facto application?

Originally posted by Natbat
Hi

Only joined yesterday and just wondered if anyone else out there is in the middle of or about to do the de-facto application.

Just wanted some hints and tips (we are not using an agent) hoping to do the 'Front End Loaded application'

Natbat

Hi Nat
If I can suggest that you do an archive search you will find a font of knowledge (ok so maybe I made that up) from people who have been through the process.

Good luck
Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:28 am
owieb

We did the defacto-relationship application and had to supply a lot of information.

Ideally they want to see that you have been living together on a permanent basis, joint bank accounts, mortgage statements etc, plus a committment to each other.

We didn't have any joint bank accounts or anything like that. We also each owned our own properties which made it difficult to prove that we lived together.

We had to supply things like holiday bookings going back at least 12 months, evidence of transferring money between our bank accounts, plus we had to do a statutory declaration detailing how we met, important dates in our time together, what are plans for the future were etc.

We also had to get another two people who had known us over 12months to do statutory declarations stating that they considered us to be in a defacto- relationship.

It might seem a lot of effort, but when your visa depends on it, it is well worth gathering as much together as possible.

We put together a package of about 20 pages to prove our defacto-relationship and sent this with our application.

Even then DIMA, still came back and asked for some more details!

Old Aug 14th 2003, 10:47 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Natbat

Look at posts by AnthonyKirby he has just got his visa through and flying out monday.

Jo
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:11 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Natbat
Yep, been there, done that!

I've posted this before, but here are the details again. Hope it's of some use.

P.S. Welcome to the site!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
de facto 2.doc (33.5 KB, 134 views)
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

We have also applied de-facto and without an agent Steve Bannisters iinformation came in very handy.

footie chick
Old Aug 14th 2003, 11:44 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nat

Will hopefully be going through the process early next year.
Just in the process of getting the 1 year co-hab.

When do you plan to apply?

If its around then we should pool some ideas closer to the date.
You can always PM me if you want.

Cheers

TT

Hi

Natbat
Old Aug 14th 2003, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Thanks for info

Thanks guys for the info.

TT - Definately good idea about sharing ideas etc. We are hoping to start later on this year obviously going into early next year (from what I have been reading with the timescales etc).

Hope to talk to you again. Good luck in the meantime.

To all the others - Me and partner do not have joint tennancy as we are living with my parents. Will a stat dec from them be proof enough that we were living with them for what will be going on a year and a half?

Footie Chick - how far into the process are you and did you do the frontend loaded application or via the post?

Bye for now
Nat
Old Aug 14th 2003, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

davecog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default proving the relationship

Owieb,

Useful info.

If it's not too personal, I'd appreciate knowing what type of further details DIMIA asked for after you had made your initial submission.

I am making an application, and want to cover all bases to avoid delays. I will be submitting to London.

Thanks in advance

Dave

===========================================

Originally posted by owieb
We did the defacto-relationship application and had to supply a lot of information.

Ideally they want to see that you have been living together on a permanent basis, joint bank accounts, mortgage statements etc, plus a committment to each other.

We didn't have any joint bank accounts or anything like that. We also each owned our own properties which made it difficult to prove that we lived together.

We had to supply things like holiday bookings going back at least 12 months, evidence of transferring money between our bank accounts, plus we had to do a statutory declaration detailing how we met, important dates in our time together, what are plans for the future were etc.

We also had to get another two people who had known us over 12months to do statutory declarations stating that they considered us to be in a defacto- relationship.

It might seem a lot of effort, but when your visa depends on it, it is well worth gathering as much together as possible.

We put together a package of about 20 pages to prove our defacto-relationship and sent this with our application.

Even then DIMA, still came back and asked for some more details!
Old Aug 14th 2003, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: proving the relationship

Hi Nat

We posted off our defacto application on the 31st July. We've been together for 10 years now, so have lots of evidence that we are a in a defacto relationship (including a 4 year old daughter).

I was informed by AHC early this week that they are discontinuing the applying in person type avenue to get visa now, as it takes up too much of their time, so it looks like the only option of applying now is by mail. They also say that at the moment they are assessing mailed applications within 28 days.

I listed all the things that I'd included in our application in the thread below

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=169638

Regards