Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To anyone contemplating leaving with debt and not paying!

Wikiposts

To anyone contemplating leaving with debt and not paying!

Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:01 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute
Default To anyone contemplating leaving with debt and not paying!

Just a wee word of possible warning to those leaving with debt and hopeing to not be found! We contacted the Citizens Advice Brearau before we left to help mediate negociations to pay back what we still owed in UK, as we could not possibly pay before we left. The guy there is still writting to them to let them know our situation. However, I was registered for 2 weeks with my new e-mail address over here in Oz and got an e-mail from Egg, one of our credit cards - asking us to call the office immediatly! They obviously breached Data Protection as the only place that actually knows my new detals are e-bay, as that's all I've gotten around to changeing. I'm not hiding here at all as my debt adviser is dealing with all this and sorting it all out for us. But it makes you think huh! Two weeks.......and that's all! In this modern day cyber world...everyone knows everything!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:36 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future
Default Re: To anyone contemplating leaving with debt and not paying!

Did it not occur to you to clear your debts before you moved to the other side of the planet?

You say that you are intending to clear them all but are you really surprised that a major institution like a bank should track you down when it hears, from someone else!, that you have moved to Australia. I assume you chose to acquire these debts in the first place so take responsibility for them and deal with them yourself.

I would just like to say that I think this is an irresponsible way of dealing with decisions you have made in your life and shows a complete lack of understanding of the possible consequences of those decisions.

Cheers.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:42 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PWBCSA
Did it not occur to you to clear your debts before you moved to the other side of the planet?

You say that you are intending to clear them all but are you really surprised that a major institution like a bank should track you down when it hears, from someone else!, that you have moved to Australia. I assume you chose to acquire these debts in the first place so take responsibility for them and deal with them yourself.

I would just like to say that I think this is an irresponsible way of dealing with decisions you have made in your life and shows a complete lack of understanding of the possible consequences of those decisions.

Cheers.
Whoooa hold the phone, they said they are paying them. Why would you be so down on someone
chill
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:44 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Hee hee, you sound like my dad lecturing me, does it matter that they went to Oz with debt? as long as they are planning on paying it back I don't see that it matters!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:48 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Life is a bitch aint it ?
We all have to make decisions on how to handle a situation.
I must have missed the small print that says we then have to get a lecture from PWBCSA ?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Life is a bitch aint it ?
We all have to make decisions on how to handle a situation.
I must have missed the small print that says we then have to get a lecture from PWBCSA ?
Surely the main issue is the fact that Egg breached the data protection act?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:52 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.

Chill out wtf is your problem
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:52 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Surely the main issue is the fact that Egg breached the data protection act?
Quite right.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking as someone else who is paying her debts off from Australia - what is irresponsible about the original post? She didn't say she was abandoning her debts, in fact she was warning people NOT to do that.

Now, unless you are without sin, quit casting stones, and read the post properly next time.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Quite right.
can anything be done about that? I mean, can they deny its them for example? All Egg have got hold of is their email address. That's nothing! There are loads of similar emails out there. Sorry, right or wrong, i would send a polite email back denying all knowledge, or pointing them in the direction of citizens advice. If the CAB are sorting it, then there's very little these people can do? They can't afford to pay the money back immediately so I'd let the CAB carry on!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Speaking as someone else who is paying her debts off from Australia - what is irresponsible about the original post? She didn't say she was abandoning her debts, in fact she was warning people NOT to do that.

Now, unless you are without sin, quit casting stones, and read the post properly next time.
Hi Pollyanna,

Here here!

we carried on paying Mark's credit card with Virgin while we were in oz no problem. If you call them, inform them you're away for a bit they arrange everything with the bank, sort out dd's etc I think Egg obtaining email details from Ebay is far more damaging and concerning! I would be so pee'd off!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
Just a wee word of possible warning to those leaving with debt and hopeing to not be found! We contacted the Citizens Advice Brearau before we left to help mediate negociations to pay back what we still owed in UK, as we could not possibly pay before we left. The guy there is still writting to them to let them know our situation. However, I was registered for 2 weeks with my new e-mail address over here in Oz and got an e-mail from Egg, one of our credit cards - asking us to call the office immediatly! They obviously breached Data Protection as the only place that actually knows my new detals are e-bay, as that's all I've gotten around to changeing. I'm not hiding here at all as my debt adviser is dealing with all this and sorting it all out for us. But it makes you think huh! Two weeks.......and that's all! In this modern day cyber world...everyone knows everything!
Hammer them!! Ask them how they got your details. Don't pay them anything till they tell you.

Really, don't stop, every time they hassle you about payments, reply with a letter asking how they got your new address.

I think its great you're paying off your debt, but it also sucks if a bank breaches laws to track you.

Good luck,
JTL
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:18 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers.
who died and made you god??
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:25 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Cheers.
Are you off your head on something

Where did WWW state that she was not paying any debt, She quite cdlearly says that she couldn't pay before she left the Uk so is sorting a way to pay it from Australia.

I have a debt in the UK so every month I send 1000 bucks via a swift payment to my bank account in the Uk so the Direct Debit from my Uk to account to the loan company can be collected with no problem.

from what you are saying I am also irresponsible, sure doesn't feel like I am being irresponsible when I am handing that 1000 bucks over a month, I'd have thought it would have been irresponsible if I just ran away to Australia and ignored the fact I owe money to Northern rock
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
who died and made you god??

I know!! I got offered the job last week, bloody signed the contract and everything. Who's this tosser?

God

(the idiot formerly known as JTL)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.