Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone Completed Their Private Pilot's Licence Over There?

Anyone Completed Their Private Pilot's Licence Over There?

Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:33 am
Feeling A Million Pesetas

Scuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud ofScuba Steve has much to be proud of
Default Anyone Completed Their Private Pilot's Licence Over There?

I;ve done about 5 hours in the UK and have been told its a fair bit cheaper down under, anyone know roughly the costs? Approx £7k here last time I looked.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Completed Their Private Pilot's Licence Over There?

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
I;ve done about 5 hours in the UK and have been told its a fair bit cheaper down under, anyone know roughly the costs? Approx £7k here last time I looked.
It's something I've wanted to finish here also.

These links may be useful to you :

Prrune - Oz & NZ general aviation

CASA - CAA Equiv [crap site though]

The last price I saw was approx $6200 for your General Flying Progress Test and about another $6200 to progress to your PPL. These prices are probably out of date though. It looks cheaper but in the long run not by much I suspect [exchange rate is dropping and rental cost is going up as fuel does]
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:02 pm
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

It looks cheaper when you're earning £ but once you are here and earning $ you are paying about the same in real terms.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
It looks cheaper when you're earning £ but once you are here and earning $ you are paying about the same in real terms.
That depends on your line of work.

The last realistic price when I was looking at continuing was about $15000 from zero to PPL on a C172, I think it's about $20 cheaper per hour for the C152 but you'll have to do the conversion, I beleive that was based on 45 hours and included charts etc.
If you wanted to continue to commercial I think I read that it would total $45000 approx.
Contact the Royal Aero Club of Western Australia on www.racwa.asn.au They are based at Jandakot airport south of the Perth CBD.
Good luck
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:42 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ardmore.co.nz/about.html#2

You could also try going across to NZ for a few weeks holiday and completing in a block course - the rate for block courses should be cheaper - it was when I completed by PL (but alias have since lost my rating for lack of hours - the cost will also be irrelevant as it cost me $200 and was part of my time in the NZRAF)
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Unless it's changed hugely, it's about mid-way between USA and UK training costs. I also began my training in UK and finished in Sydney (Bankstown). And in those far off days (1991) there was no GPS to help with the navigation
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:48 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

By way of comparison, my old UK flying school charges £94 (AUD $209) per hour for the hire of a 152. Here in Oz, my school charges $115 (£51.49).