British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Anyone Completed Their Private Pilot's Licence Over There? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/anyone-completed-their-private-pilots-licence-over-there-506098/)

Scuba Steve Jan 14th 2008 11:33 am

Anyone Completed Their Private Pilot's Licence Over There?

I;ve done about 5 hours in the UK and have been told its a fair bit cheaper down under, anyone know roughly the costs? Approx £7k here last time I looked.

hoofie2002 Jan 14th 2008 11:49 am

Re: Anyone Completed Their Private Pilot's Licence Over There?

Originally Posted by Scuba Steve (Post 5785402)
I;ve done about 5 hours in the UK and have been told its a fair bit cheaper down under, anyone know roughly the costs? Approx £7k here last time I looked.

It's something I've wanted to finish here also.

These links may be useful to you :

Prrune - Oz & NZ general aviation

CASA - CAA Equiv [crap site though]

The last price I saw was approx $6200 for your General Flying Progress Test and about another $6200 to progress to your PPL. These prices are probably out of date though. It looks cheaper but in the long run not by much I suspect [exchange rate is dropping and rental cost is going up as fuel does]

Pollyana Jan 14th 2008 1:02 pm

It looks cheaper when you're earning £ but once you are here and earning $ you are paying about the same in real terms.

Santa Jan 15th 2008 12:17 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5785683)
It looks cheaper when you're earning £ but once you are here and earning $ you are paying about the same in real terms.

That depends on your line of work.

The last realistic price when I was looking at continuing was about $15000 from zero to PPL on a C172, I think it's about $20 cheaper per hour for the C152 but you'll have to do the conversion, I beleive that was based on 45 hours and included charts etc.
If you wanted to continue to commercial I think I read that it would total $45000 approx.
Contact the Royal Aero Club of Western Australia on www.racwa.asn.au They are based at Jandakot airport south of the Perth CBD.
Good luck

Geelong Gent Jan 15th 2008 4:42 am

http://www.ardmore.co.nz/about.html#2

You could also try going across to NZ for a few weeks holiday and completing in a block course - the rate for block courses should be cheaper - it was when I completed by PL (but alias have since lost my rating for lack of hours - the cost will also be irrelevant as it cost me $200 and was part of my time in the NZRAF)

MikeStanton Jan 19th 2008 12:06 pm

Unless it's changed hugely, it's about mid-way between USA and UK training costs. I also began my training in UK and finished in Sydney (Bankstown). And in those far off days (1991) there was no GPS to help with the navigation :)

harrip Jan 19th 2008 12:48 pm

By way of comparison, my old UK flying school charges £94 (AUD $209) per hour for the hire of a 152. Here in Oz, my school charges $115 (£51.49).