Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone completed on home before visa granted?

Anyone completed on home before visa granted?

Old Nov 29th 2007, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

The Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of light
Default Anyone completed on home before visa granted?

Hi all, we've got a house completion date of 14/12. We applied on 12/06 for 136modl, and thought we would have been granted visa by now. Obviously we are still waiting and we are a little unsure as to what to do with our shipment.

We want to go with Dorree Bonner(heard lots of good reports) so had a quote that is what we thought. The thing is, we wanted our stuff/container to go off to Oz when it is all packed for the 14/12, so that we were hopefully going to get visa inbetween so still should arrive before or shortly afterwards(fingers crossed)! BUT, when Dorree Bonner came round, they said that you need your visa before you send it otherwise you will be charged duty/tax on all your shipment. Then they also require an address in Australia, well we dont have one, we were just going to get holiday accom then get a rental for when it arrives, or pay for storage over there i we havnt got one sorted in time.

Is there anyone else that has been through this, moving out of house and shipped belongings before visa has been granted. We can of course put it in to storage here until we get visa, but im still unsure of an address in Aus.

Has anyone as mad as us shipped their stuff over before getting visa? Thanks, Carley
Old Nov 29th 2007, 4:34 pm
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone completed on home before visa granted?

Originally Posted by The Bournes
Hi all, we've got a house completion date of 14/12. We applied on 12/06 for 136modl, and thought we would have been granted visa by now. Obviously we are still waiting and we are a little unsure as to what to do with our shipment.

We want to go with Dorree Bonner(heard lots of good reports) so had a quote that is what we thought. The thing is, we wanted our stuff/container to go off to Oz when it is all packed for the 14/12, so that we were hopefully going to get visa inbetween so still should arrive before or shortly afterwards(fingers crossed)! BUT, when Dorree Bonner came round, they said that you need your visa before you send it otherwise you will be charged duty/tax on all your shipment. Then they also require an address in Australia, well we dont have one, we were just going to get holiday accom then get a rental for when it arrives, or pay for storage over there i we havnt got one sorted in time.

Is there anyone else that has been through this, moving out of house and shipped belongings before visa has been granted. We can of course put it in to storage here until we get visa, but im still unsure of an address in Aus.

Has anyone as mad as us shipped their stuff over before getting visa? Thanks, Carley
We arranged shipping first & noticed a copy of visa stamp in uk passport was required but luckily ours was a spouse visa so it turned out not to be a problem as I have an Aussie passport so we just left OH off the forms. I dont think there is really any way round it so you probably will have no option but to store here until visa arrives-uk end storage will probably cost a fair bit more than at Aus end.

As regards the address in Aus our stuff is being stored there until mid March and we gave Anglopacific my aunt's address in Adelaide (although our stuff in in Melbourne) to use until we arrive in Jan and also the address of the holiday centre we are staying for end Jan onwards. Have you a friend or family in Aus whose address you can use?

Bets of luck
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

I completed my house sale 3 months before I got my visa in October. I have been living with my folks since end of June! (it's ok really)
My stuff was packed by Crown and has been in container storage since then. They said I could ship it out without visa, it's helpful if you have a relative or friends address in Oz you can use. I was also told if my container arrives and I wasn't in Oz I'd have to pay import duty. There's also the potential problem that if your visa is not granted and your stuff is in Oz you'd have to pay to ship it back. In the end we decided to leave it in storage in the UK until visa granted and we where ready to go. It's actually worked out great for us because the container leaves 12th December and arrives 11th Jan and we leave 6th Jan so by the time it clears customs we should have found a rental and can move us and our stuff straight in
Our storage costs worked out after our free month at £112 per 4 weeks. Damned sight cheaper than my mortgage lol
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

The Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bournes is a glorious beacon of light

Hi to both that replied, I think we will just have to put it into storage, and as soon as visa is granted, we can get it shipped over. Just heard today that they now have the PCC attached to file (originally sent in August but was never received!), and they said CO would let us know if they need anything else! So at least thats been sorted, and the way Ive read it its saying we have a CO and its being processed!!! I'm going to phone the shipp;ing company now, and book it all, but ask them when they would need to know that we have a visa by so it goes direct from our house and not into storage!!

Thanks again for your replies, Carley