Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone in canberra ACT????

anyone in canberra ACT????

Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation anyone in canberra ACT????

hi were looking to go to Canberra in a year or two, maybe sooner. can anyone give us ANY info on life in canberra???? please!!!
thanks
Peace 'n' that
Davy
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:39 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone in canberra ACT????

Originally Posted by davyboy
hi were looking to go to Canberra in a year or two, maybe sooner. can anyone give us ANY info on life in canberra???? please!!!
thanks
Peace 'n' that
Davy

Canberra is one of those places you either love or hate. Personally I've had really good experiences of the place, and know some great people that live there, who feel the same way.

I think that the place gets a lot of bad press, and some of it may be valid, but certainly not all. I always feel that the people there almost make an extra effort to be nice and have a good time, because they know how everybody else (the rest of the country) feels about the place. There are some good bars and restaurants, and the social scene is pretty lively, especially during the week.

It can get quite cold in the winter, but when the sun shines, you don't tend to notice it like the UK. The shopping is quite good, and that place in the mall does some great smoothies. The road layout is pretty good, as they don't seem to have traffic jams. I lived in Swinger Hill for a while, and it never took very long to get home in the evenings.

As I said, you either love it or hate it. My advice would be to go and rent there for a bit before committing with a purchase. Many of the jobs in the place are government ones, and many come with limitations if you don't have citizenship.

Give it a try, but definitely try before you buy as it's not everyones cup of tea.

S
Old Sep 6th 2005, 5:48 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hiya

young-scutteruk-me-lad moved out there about a year ago.......he luuuuuuurves canberra!!
keep telling to give us an update, but he's busy with life, a luvly lass and and a smashin' new owse!!!!!!

he'd definately rate it!

shall go and send him another abusive email to chivvy him along
Old Sep 7th 2005, 2:56 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
hiya

young-scutteruk-me-lad moved out there about a year ago.......he luuuuuuurves canberra!!
keep telling to give us an update, but he's busy with life, a luvly lass and and a smashin' new owse!!!!!!

he'd definately rate it!

shall go and send him another abusive email to chivvy him along
..an update is imminent! on the 18th i will have been here a whole year!!!!!!!!!! bluddy-ell!

Canberra is cool... especially out at burra, (just on its border) it's been freezin! we had a few -5degC nights but nothing really colder. it's been mild this winter aparently.

The temperature now is on the way up. it'll be 23 degrees this weekend! It's nearly shirt and shorts weather already!

anyway,... there's nothing wrong with canberra. i can't say a bad thing about it.

cheerio!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

davyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the roughdavyboy is a jewel in the rough

Thanks ALL who posted replies, that's great!!!
Im looking to open my own restaurant when we get settled, not sure what the locals 'go for' in ACT any ideas???
thinkin maybe a fishy one!
keep the replies coming guys
Peace 'n' that
Davyboy

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Canberra is one of those places you either love or hate. Personally I've had really good experiences of the place, and know some great people that live there, who feel the same way.

I think that the place gets a lot of bad press, and some of it may be valid, but certainly not all. I always feel that the people there almost make an extra effort to be nice and have a good time, because they know how everybody else (the rest of the country) feels about the place. There are some good bars and restaurants, and the social scene is pretty lively, especially during the week.

It can get quite cold in the winter, but when the sun shines, you don't tend to notice it like the UK. The shopping is quite good, and that place in the mall does some great smoothies. The road layout is pretty good, as they don't seem to have traffic jams. I lived in Swinger Hill for a while, and it never took very long to get home in the evenings.

As I said, you either love it or hate it. My advice would be to go and rent there for a bit before committing with a purchase. Many of the jobs in the place are government ones, and many come with limitations if you don't have citizenship.

Give it a try, but definitely try before you buy as it's not everyones cup of tea.

S